mother & daughter stress reliever vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help fellow fodorians!! My 13 year old daughter has been dealing with some health issues lately and I want to surprise her with our 1st mother/daughter trip. I don't have much time for planning as I will take her during Feb. break (2/13 - 2/20).

We live near Syracuse, NY so I would love to take her someplace warm, however, I don't have a passport so I believe we will need to stay in the U.S. (could I get a passport on such short notice?) I was thinking someplace on the ocean, but that's not a must. A spa where we could get pampered and perhaps do some shopping would be nice. Our 1st priority would be the weather. Any suggestions to get me started?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:08 AM

How about Charleston, SC or Savannah GA? I get a mind picture of you two taking buggy rides in either of these charming cities. Or New Orleans??

How close are you to trains? Could you take a train to an interesting destination? New York (I know, not near the water unless you go over to Coney Island)?

Miami or Key West? Fort Lauderdale?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:49 AM

If you decide that you don't care if it is cold, I have stayed at the Lake Opechee Inn and Spa in New Hampshire. Wonderful rooms, great staff, great restaurant. They have a spa on-site (though I can not speak of it, I did not have a chance to partake). There are outlets pretty close by. http://www.opecheeinn.com/index.php
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:53 AM

I hope your daughter is doing okay; what a great trip for you both.

Where ever you end up; be aware that certain spas have age regulations - that your daughter would only be able to get a mani-pedi - many is 16 and over - more are 18 and over.

To get the warmest weather I would head south - perhaps the Florida Keys? I hope it warms up - I spoke with my brother yesterday in South Florida and he said it has not touched 50 in about 10 days!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:33 AM

The Florida keys are typically going to get ~70-75 degree weather that time of year. Absolutely beautiful. Savannah and Charleston, while amazing places in which you would have a wonderful visit, can potentially still be a bit chilly (50's). Since you are from Syracuse, I'm not sure what your criteria for warm is, but being a Florida native, I would look into the keys. The water is gorgeous, plenty of low key hang outs and sites to see in Key West amount others. You could go snorkeling or sail boating as well. There are also a plethera of vacation homes to rent on the keys surrounding key west or hotels on Marathon Key.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I would also suggest the FL Keys as the weather should be beautiful (provided this unusual cold spell we are having in Soth Florida lets up!).
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM

What about a cruise? You can get one in Baltimore, Feb 14-28, to the Caribbean, on Carnival Pride, a nice ship w/a good spa. THere is a "last minute special" on the Carnival website which gives you a balcony stateroom (nice on this ship) for $629 apiece, and that includes meals and port of call and onboard entertainment (which is good on that ship).

I took my daughter on a cruise like that and it was great as we both had lots to do and we ate every dinner in the dining rm. together at night. We went to a scrapbooking class together and we won at Bingo together and went shopping and to the beach at the ports of call. She did some of the onboard teen games activites on her own w/groups of teens and Carnival people. Very relaxing and fun for both of us. She is now 17 and is asking me to take her again.

If you can afford to get to Florida to depart from there, you'll have better warm weather throughout the cruise. Departing from Baltimore this time of yr means cold days at sea until you get down to Florida and the Caribbean.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Agree with the recommendation to check cruises leaving from Florida. There is so much to do on board a ship, and teen clubs on most so that she could spend some time with other kids, if that is what you choose. Have been on cruises with 3 teens and everybody had a great time. We did snorkeling, scuba ( as somebody got a ruptured eardrum), zipline, etc.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 05:47 PM

I just polled my 13 year old and she said, very emphatically, Hawaii!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM

You can get a passport pretty quickly by going into Manhattan. I know that's a hike from you, but I'd look into other areas that offer an expedited service. Most places south are cold right now. I went to Puerto Plata last year with my kids. Besides being very reasonable, I did the spa thing with my daughter who was 12. Or else, what about a trip to Manhattan. You could see a show and do spa stuff. Finally, Hershey Park has a great spa, but that's all there really will be in February.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot. Puerto Rico may have some specials and not be cold. You don't need a passport.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Don't blame her for wanting Hawaii but I'd think the time changes and long trip might cut into your time and stamina too much. Just a thought.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 04:34 PM

How come when I post a report of ruptured ear drums, and I choose a frowny face, a Smiley face appears???
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:03 PM

TDudette, I tend to agree. We live on the west coast so Hawaii isn't such a time change. From Syracuse it would be much more.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I REALLY liked the Puerto Rico idea but that is out of my husband's comfort zone being this will be our first time away alone. I love the Fla. Keys suggestion too and I've been scouring hotels, they are very pricey. I didn't want to spend $200 per night (at best) not giving up yet though. We've decided to travel 2/14 - 2/18 to get a better price for airfare and cut down on hotel cost. I may look at Fort Lauderdale. I really want peace and serenity and not commercial. Is it possible to get that in Fort Lauderdale?
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM

I lived in Fort Lauderdale and South Florida - and some of family still does so I have had the opportunity to visit often.

I prefer a little north of Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, or Boca Raton area.

I am not really clear on what exactly you are wanting to do - just hang out at a resort? Shop, dine?

Hawaii is so great but yes, I agree too far.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM

I'd recommend looking into a Caribbean cruise too. Many great deals for departure from FL, and it can be a lot cheaper than staying on land. Your daughter will probably enjoy the activities on the ship and the shopping and sightseeing at the ports.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Do I need a passport to go to the ports out of the U.S.?
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:23 PM

EVeryone should have a passport nowadays for myriad reasons.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM

I believe you can still go to the US Virgin Islands without a passport... thats St Thomas/ St John... look for all inclusive .... also check those cruises... bargains are all over...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -