Search

Motel 6

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:02 PM
betsy

Motel 6

I posted a question last night about the Motel 6 chain, and can't find it. Please don't tell me it became a nasty or disgusting thread....or is something wrong with my search box here?

I would really like to know IF its good for families, or IF its targeted to and caters to SINGLES, as their signs make me believe.

Thank you.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:07 PM
doc

it's fine. Very clean and reasonable. They may not have pools and workout rooms, if that qualifies for families. but if you want a place to sleep and lock your doors. no problem.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:52 PM
r-travels

Overall, I'd say they target to those who don't want a lot of extras and extra cost for lodging. I've stayed at 5 Motel 6, and only 1 was a disappointment, but not that bad, overall. I think you'll hit about the same average with any of the non-luxury chains.

They're part of the Accor chain, who also own Red Roof Inns.

I'm curious ... what about their signs makes you think Motel 6 caters to singles??

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:06 PM
J Correa

I think it's the rate they post on their signs - it generally says something like "$49.99 one person"

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
traveller

It's is your basic no frills chain. I have stayed at many and all are ok. Clean and comfortable beds and bathrooms, if you want more, I guess you could go for the 4 star.

But I have never stayed in one that wasn't clean which is the main criteria.

For a family it might be too basic. You may want a pool for your kids or some such thing. I remember when my kids were younger, we always wanted a pool/playground area so that the kids would have something to do.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:39 PM
betsy

Thanks for the replies.

I got the feeling they were only SINGLE rooms as the other poster said -- they advertise that rate.

And my co-workers who have stayed there said the majority of room DO have only one bed--- either a King or queen......is that true too?????

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:01 PM
another

I stayed in a Motel 6 in Florida for a family reunion. My boyfriend and I had a small room with double bed. No frills. My brother and his girlfriend also stayed a few rooms down. The place was packed -- it was loud, and I didn't feel very safe there.
After the reunion my brother called to tell me that someone in Florida had stolen his credit card number and racked up over $6000 in charges. We can't prove it was someone at the Motel 6 but he only used his card at one other spot, a restaurant.

I would not stay in a Motel 6 unless it was a last resort.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:23 PM
me again

For another: while it could have been the Motel 6, did the doors lock tightly? I've been in some Marriotts where the door's are loose.

So then most rooms have just one bed? Which would mean they DO cater more to couples, business travelers and not families?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:04 PM
Alan

I think the room type must depend on which particular motel you stay at, not which chain. We chose the Motel 6 at Lake Havasu City because it happened to have scored one of the most central locations in town (and we didn't have a car); we got a family room, no problem, very clean, and quite good value. I think I remember the proprietor saying that this was, in fact, the smallest Motel 6 in their whole chain..... and I think he also said that they are, in fact, a subsidiary of one of the other majors (not Days Inn... that's Super 8, isn't it?)

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:12 PM
jbj

Some are newer and nicer than others. Some are in less-than-desirable areas. It's not a chain that has consistent quality standards nationwide.

The "South" location in Carpinteria California is especially nice. Three walking blocks to the beach.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Diana

I've stayed at lots of Motel 6(es) mostly in California. They almost ALL
have pools (ask to be away from them for more quiet) and you can request a room with two double beds. Clean, basic, and cheaper than most (but not cheap)--San Diego for example, is $65 for two beds, two people.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:31 PM
cece

I used to be a Motel 6 traveler. I always stayed there, until I started using Priceline. On Priceline you can get a much better hotel for the same or less.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:17 AM
sarah

So you have to 'request' two beds.

Its my understanding that the standard rooms have only ONE bed and you better request two if needed. Hence, their catering to singles per signs etc.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM
hey!

Maybe this thread should go under the one about the Ritz???

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:47 AM
ttt

topper