more Yellowstone ???

Search

more Yellowstone ???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more Yellowstone ???

Am I planning too much for one day...Firehole Canyon drive with a swim, go to West Yellowstone, Grizzly Discovery Center, explore Madison, Norris Basin, drive to Mammouth to spend the night. I wasn't planning on the Grizzly Center but decided to try to fit it. We are doing the Lower Geyser Basin and Old Faithful the day before(morning) with a Kayak trip during the afternoon at West Thumb Geyser Basin. Also lunch suggestion for West Yellowstone if we make it there...
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Yes.

I think the best way to explore Yellowstone is without a set plan. Get a good guide book that describes scenic places along the figure-8 Park loop road. Stop at what seems interesting, skip what doesn't do it for you.

Distances within YNP are very deceptive - you can pleasantly get stuck in an animal jam for an hour, watching bison wander past your car. But it won't seemplesant if you are trying to cram a lot into one day.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
maj

What are you exploring at Madison? It's been a few years since I have been there, but it was just a campground at that time. I haven't been to the Grizzly Discover Center either, so don't know how much time that takes, but I think you could probably do all that in one day.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Just plan on driving through Madison..
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM

I am not sure what you mean by "exploring Madison." Other than that, I think you will have time. Norris Geyser Basin has few if any predictable geysers, unless Echinus has changed its ways and become semi predictable again.

Norris is a hot spot basin with many crazy faults running off in all directions, buy the geysers are mostly erratic.

What I don't see you thinking about are the Fountain Paint Pots and the Great Fountain Geyser with its companion White Dome Geyser. Those are well worth seeing. You should check the visitor center at Old Faithful and find out what the window of eruption time is for Great Fountain.

On the way from Madison Junction to Mammoth there are quite a few smaller attractions that are well worth stopping to see.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

I will add Great Fountain and lower Geyser Basin to my list. Thanks. Will play it by ear for the Grizzly Discovery Center.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I hope you get lucky on geyser eruption times. Bear in mind that the predictions are for a time window of high eruption probability. Some rather naive people will turn up at Grand Geyser, the best one of them all, set the alarm on their electronic watches, and leave at the beep if the geyser has not erupted at time X.

My strategy for both Castle and Grand is to review the predicted eruption times and plan on showing up with my supper or my lunch if need be. Then I have a seat, check my camera settings, and rest from what ever else I have done that day.

There are several semi predictable geysers other than Old Faithful. These include Grand, Great Fountain, Castle, Riverside, Daisey, and my second favorite, Lone Star. (Lone Star requires a walk along a flat trail. It is a beautiful walk through unburned forest that plays tag with the upper Firehole River, which runs crystal clear at that point.

I think the most spectacular, the most memorable eruption I have witnessed was at 2AM under the light of a full moon. We went first to Riverside Geyser and watched it spray its delicate arch of water into the Firehole River. Then we walked up the hill to Grand Geyser and waited for it put on its show. We were not alone I might add; perhaps 50 to 60 people were out there for one of nature's great displays.

One word of caution. There is precious little shade in those geyser basins. Water and sunscreen and sun glasses.