Search

yellowstone gandb7

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellowstone gandb7

Still trying to put this Yellowstone trip together. Will be flying in to Pocatello and then driving up to West Yellowstone. Will drive/tour the upper circuit and will return to West Yellowstone that nite. Next day will drive/tour the lower circuit and would like to spend the nite near the East entrance as I anticipate driving to Cody the next day.
All park facilities ,except cabins, are taken and can,t seem to find "ANY" lodging near the East entrance except in Cody.
Does anyone know of places to stay "near" the East entrance, or does anyone have any suggestions for me to think about. Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks gandb7
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:24 AM

gandb7,

Haven't driven the road to Cody in a few years so I don't know about lodging that side. Don't recall seeing anything when we drove it.

However, if I were you I'd book my second night in West Yellowstone, especially if you can get something that will let you cancel that night. Then I'd just keep calling the in Park lodging for the lower/east areas. People cancel all the time. We did it when we went to Yellowstone because another night opened in Canyon, so we cancelled one in Mammouth to switch.

Worst case is you'd have to load your car that 2nd morning in West Yellowstone and then do the lower half of Yellowstone before continuing to Cody. Since you won't be getting that far from your car when you stop to sightsee, as long as you lock it, and use common sense, your stuff should be safe.

You might want to visit this web site yellowstone-natl-park.com. It's not the official government site but has lots of great info, including trip reports. I found it very helpful in planning our trip.

It's too bad you only have 2 days in Yellowstone. The place is awesome. To maximize your time and avoid crowds, be up and into the park as near sunrise as possible. Also, we had some beautiful sunsets there, especially at Norris Basin. You can see a lot in 2 days and you'll want to come back for more.

Have a great trip.

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:46 AM

gandb7,

I forgot to mention that on that Yellowstone site I gave you they have a chat page. The regulars call themselves "loons" - for a couple of reasons, according to them. Others who have driven it more recently can tell you more.

FF

Anyway, they know everything about Yellowstone. If anybody knows if there is outside-the-Park-lodging on the East side closer than Cody, they will. They can also advise you if that would be a good option, if there is something available. I seem to recall the exit road on that side was not something I'd want to drive twice in one day. It's scenic, but timewise may not be the best idea for a two-in-a-day venture.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I think there are some dude ranches and B&Bs at Wapiti, between Cody and the east gate, but I don't think there are any motels. And if you get to Wapiti, you're not that far from Cody.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:56 AM

If I were you I would drive straight to Cody after having done the second loop.We did and it's a wonderful ride through Shoshone nat. park. We stayed at the Best Western Sunset motor inn 1601 Eightstreet,very close(same street) as the wonderful Buffalo Bill museums.Paul
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:06 AM

Frankly, you could just stay in the West Yellowstone place you already have--the driving distances are not as extreme as you seem to think, and remember, its a figure 8 "loop" that you can cut back and through on.