MoMA ticket times

Apr 20th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

MoMA ticket times

I'll be in NY in a couple weeks, and I want to catch the Edvard Munch exhibit at MoMA. A friend will be showing me around, so I'm a bit at his mercy as to schedule. If I pick tickets for, say, noon, and we don't make that time, can we still get in at 2pm? BTW,this will be a Friday.

ps, does the Met get really crowdedon Saturday morning/early afternoon?
Apr 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM
GoTravel

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is always very crowded but it is massive. It is the largest museum in the Western Hemisphere and a Do Not Miss.

Apr 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM

I've never used timed tickets at MoMa, but ordinarily you are given a window, so it's not precisely at noon but perhaps from 12 to 12:20. If you don't arrive in your slot, you don't get in ... at least in most museums with timed entry. MoMa is experiencing huge crowds with this show, and the museum is planning to stay open late for the next 3 Saturdays beyond its normal 5:30 pm opening time until the show closes. I think the museum is also open late on Friday, so perhaps you should get tickets for later in the day.

Both MoMa and the Metropolican can become uncomfortably crowded on weekends, particularly in the most popular areas.
Apr 20th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt replies! I'll be at a wedding on the weekend, so I won't have time to visit on Friday night, or Sat or Sun. I'll talk to my friend, and perhaps we'll start at the museum first thing in the morning, and miss some of the crowds. Thanks for the advice....
Apr 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM

If you go on Monday morning, you won't have to get tickets in advance, as it should not be that crowded early in the day. Incidentally, if you have time, stop in the exhibit on contemporary Spanish architecture which is adjacent ot the Munch exhibit. It's well worth your time.
In answer to your question about the Met, on weekends, the best advice is to go in the morning, the earlier the better. The crowds are bearable and definitely not as busy and hectic as it gets as the day progresses.
PS: I didn't realize that the tickets you buy in advance for general admission are timed. Are you sure they are?
Apr 20th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Yes, they are timed, at least that's what the ticketweb site says. Most other museums I've been to don't have timed <general> entry~but they did for special exhibits. But since the Munch exhibit isn't a separate ticket, maybe that's why they're doing it? Could I just not pre-buy tickets, and walk up?
Apr 20th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Yes, you can just walk up and buy a ticket, but if it's over a weekend, you might have to wait in line. However, as I previously wrote, if you go on Monday morning, chances are there will not be a line.
Apr 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM

When we went to MoMA on a Saturday about a year ago, we bought timed tickets to the museum (not a special exhibit).

We were very glad we did--we got there when it opened and walked past about 2,000 people waiting in line (in the rain) in a parking lot next to the museum.

Our tickets were for 10:30, but they let us in at 10.
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Acckkk. I just went to the MoMA site to purchase tickets for Friday, and that day is unavailable. I'm assuming they had a two week 'shut down', as tickets are available for the weekend and Monday.

Perhaps I'll try for MOnday, though my friend had planned on doing Ellis Island that Monday morning. Perhaps we can go on Friday instead, and then MoMA on Monday.
Apr 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM
GoTravel

Metropolitan Museum of Art is closed on Mondays but the Museum of Modern Art is open Mondays.

Apr 21st, 2006, 05:45 PM
Neopolitan

There really is an $11 total service charge for two tickets prepurchased on line? I was surprised when the total approached $50 for one adult and one senior.

If I stop by a few days before going can I prebuy tickets without that charge?
I'm looking at May, after the Munch exhibit. Or should we just go on a Monday morning and not worry about prebuying them?

Apr 21st, 2006, 06:36 PM

If you go any weekday morning, you shouldn't have to wait too long, if at all. Actually, it might even easier late morning.
Apr 21st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Neopolitan

Thanks, Howard. I thought it was something I might go ahead and do and I was a bit taken back by that $11 charge. I don't think I would have minded so much if it was in the ticket price, but $11 service charge? That's as bad as Tickemaster or Telecharge for Broadway shows, but this was for booking direct on MOMA's own site.
Guess we'll just wait. Having the tickets and a set time MAKES us go, though.

Apr 21st, 2006, 07:11 PM
TKT

Just to pass on, I noticed that for those who have a Bank of America Card, MOMA is freee in May. Many other museums are as well.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:10 AM
Neopolitan

Huh? What does that mean. Show your BofA credit or debit card at the door and there's no charge? Or do you get some sort of ticket or voucher first?

Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:15 AM
Neopolitan

Hmmm. I googled and found that promotion, but I sure don't see MOMA listed as one of the museums included.

www.bankofamericapromotions.com/museums/

Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM

The Edvard Munch munch and Spanish Architecture exhibits at MOMA are wonderful. Do not pass them by (I was in New York City over easter and visited the museum). The description of how the timed tickets work is about right. However, if you are willing to put up with massive lines then on Friday afternoons you could get in for free.

However you end up getting in there, you'll enjoy the museum immensely. I've been there twice in the past year (not bad for this little Midwesterner eh?) and have loved the experience both times.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 07:54 AM
TKT

Neopolitan, you are correct, thanks. I checked the google sight I found and it was for last year.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:56 AM

If you really want to fully appreciate the Munch exhibit, definitely do NOT go during the free-entry period on Friday evenings or any other part of a weekend, for that matter. We went on a Saturday and were sorry when we saw the crowds and walking through it, wefelt that we didn't appreciate the exhibit fully. So, we went back a second time during the week when it was much less crowded and enjoyed the exhibit much, much more.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:59 AM
Neopolitan

Darn, TKT, I was hoping you would prove me wrong and save me $36 or so. But thanks for the tip anyway. Just might use a couple of those freebies.