Advance tickets needed for Spy Museum?

May 23rd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Advance tickets needed for Spy Museum?

Hi All,
I notice we can reserve timed tickets for the Washington DC International Spy Museum--but is it necessary? I've never been there and would like to go.
Has anyone had a problem walking in and getting in right away? I'm going in early June, either Sunday or during the week.

Would appreciate your advice on good/bad times and days to go.

Thanks!
May 23rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
mei

You should get them. Wait can be up to a few hours without a timed ticket, especially at that time of year
May 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM

We went on a Saturday in early March 2006 (not a popular tourist time) and had to wait a couple of hours, and got tickets for the last entry of the day.

With all the tourists in the area now (I work in DC) and the popularity of the museum, I really recommend advanced tickets. I also really recommend that you do not go at the last time of the day. The Spy Museum will say you can do the museum in 2 hours, but you really cannot. My husband and I were moving quickly through the areas that we could move through, reading less than half of the available (and not really participating in any interactive exhibits), and we only made it through 80% of the museum in two hours (they closed the museum and hustled everyone out). I thought the last portion was the most interesting, so I was kind of bummed that I didn't get to enjoy it.
May 23rd, 2006, 04:43 PM

Yes...you need advanced tickets unless you want to take a chance of waiting for a few hours. Like the last poster, I also went in March (but 2005) mid-afternoon and all tix were sold out...was only able to do the "special exhibit."
May 23rd, 2006, 05:50 PM

Early June is still prime time for school kids' field trips; I'd definitely get tickets.
May 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM

We were there in April on a Sat. w/ reserved tickets for 9:30 - 1st time of the day. We got there about 9:20 and they were sold out until 3:00. I've had a friend try to get in 2x w/o reserved tickets and hasn't been yet. We were in for 4 hrs but could have stayed another hr, but hungry and tired. Get the tickets ahead if that is what you primarily want to see. Also, depending on where you are staying, you may be able to get them through concierge, but I wouldn't count on any particular day if time is tight. Enjoy!