Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A couple of questions about visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Jun 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

We'll be in NYC July 7-11th and want to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I assume this will be a very busy time.

Should I buy our tickets in advance?

Which is typically the least crowded day to visit?
Jun 4th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I've been a member of the Metropolitan Museum of Art for 10+ years and visit frequently.

Certainly Saturday & Sunday are the busiest days, but the ticket line moves quickly and I see no reason to purchase tickets in advance. You'll still need to pick up the button you must wear to enter the exhibit spaces.

The museum is closed on Monday.

Tuesday/Wednesday are probably the least crowded days.

Don't miss the recently reopened Greek/Roman wing.

Enjoy!

www.metmuseum.org
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM

The most crowded areas are the entrance lobby (look for the ticket counter with the shortest line), popular temporary exhibitions, and the gift shop! Coat check, too, but that will be a non-issue in July LOL. The Greek & Roman art will probably be congested, too, since it just reopened. But as Gekko said, definitely no need to purchase in advance. There is a security check just inside the door, so if you see a line to get in, don't worry - it's just to get past that point! (You can even see them at their tables on the right side of the photo on the Met homepage.)

I would choose to see some of the popular exhibitions, then find something less crowded for a breather -say the lovely small Japanese garden recreation or the Polynesian art. Also don't miss the Art on the Roof - this year it's Frank Stella.

Also, there's a number of little spots to eat/drink inside the Met, which always helps with a long day of art. There's a cafe behind the medeval art looking out towards Central Park, and a bar on the roof, among others.

Oh and one other thing - the museum is open late on Friday and Saturday evenings, which is another good time to go if you don't have other plans.
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:14 AM
yk

My experience has been the busiest time is late morning - like 11ish. If you go there as soon as it opens and go see the *major* sights, you should be ok. Alternatively, go in mid-afternoon, say after 2 or 3pm.

No need to buy tickets in advance. There are plenty of sales agents - just look around before you get in line. You may find a shorter line hidden in the corner.
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM

You are traveling with a large family, so if cost matters to you, the admission to the Met is definitely "suggested"--pay what you wish/what you can afford at all times.
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Pausanias

In my experience (also a museum member) Saturday morning is busier than Sunday morning. Particularly if you want to see a special exhibit, go early on Sunday. Unfortunately, I never get to go on a weekday; those are probably even lighter.

The cafeteria in the basement below the medieval art galleries is surprisingly good, so don't worry if the more scenic cafes are full. If you're just drinking water, you can save $3 a hit by pouring a free glass at the dispensers just past the cashiers, rather than buying a bottle from Fiji.

Suggest you review the website and get some ideas of what you would like to see. It is too large to take in on a single visit.

Jun 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM

The best advice about when to go is: the earlier the better! That's especially true on weekends. As previously mentioned, Tuesday and Wednesdays are the least crowded. Still, the "earlier the better" advice still holds.
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Weekends are busiest (the steps are coverd with people before the doors open).

Go to the web site, review the exhibits, decide which 3/4 you really want to see (I myself have no intrest in the department of middle easter pottery) and map a route. Otherwise you could be in there days.

No need to buy ticket in advance.
Jun 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM

There is an entrance just to the left of the steps on FifthA ve. that is not crowded and you do not have to climb.

Go early.