Molokai development and other disputes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Article about from the Sunday newspaper....

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/12/30...=5070&emc=eta1
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:47 AM

Interesting article. Have to say I agree with those who are trying to block further development. Thanks for posting it.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

The same edition of the paper had another article that included these snippets....

Kauai was once covered in sugar cane plantations. Now houses, condominiums and hotels line the coasts and cover the hillsides.

Plantation owners on Kauai began selling off large tracts of agricultural land in the late 1980s. These parcels covered essentially half the island. Because of the sales, 80 percent of the agricultural land is now owned primarily by non-farmers.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
kealalani

You beat me to the punch again hf!!!!

Read this article while in Manhattan and put it on 2 superferry threads this morning

Malama Pono!
gyppielou

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the post.

Can someone give me any insight into this part of the article:

"Meanwhile, Karen M. Holt, director of the nonprofit Molokai Community Service Council, has started a drive to raise $200 million to buy the entire Molokai Ranch. Its first major pledge, for $50 million, came last month from UPC Wind, a Massachusetts-based wind power company that would place some two dozen windmills on the land. “We have to save the last truly Hawaiian island,” she said."

Do they want to close Molokai Ranch to tourism? Or just take control and prevent further development (other than the windmills)?
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
kealalani

enzian, if you are truly interested I suggest you start googling.

I was lucky to spend time on Molokai and speak to locals regarding the proposed developement. This was a year ago, this month. At that time over %70 of the islanders were opposed. I never saw a single sign for development, only continued signs wherever we drove island wide.

From what I understand from my time there, most who are for it are employees of the Ranch, so it seems that there is definately a lot of sides to this argument. I find it sad that the Ranch is now threatening layoffs. On my brief tour, I found no reason to return to Molokai Ranch.

But I found many reasons to return to Molokai. Alas, the people of Molokai have much to protect and in the coming years much more than this, when the last patient passes.

Again, it is worth googling if you would like to be more informed. I can only share a sideline review.

Aloha