Luaus in Kauai

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Linda K

Luaus in Kauai

We will be in Kauai for Thanksgiving 2002 and would like to do something different for our Thanksgiving dinner. Any recommendations on luaus in Kauai? Been to couple in Maui, Honolulu and Kona, but not in Kauai. Have 3 teenage girls that want to do a luau again.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:22 AM
zzz

Kauai ultimate guide says there are no great Luaus on Kauai. Coconut bras throw me off. Smiths tropical lua is given it's highest rating for the island though. If you are up for a commercial experience than I would go here over other options on the island. I have not been to this one but often the non-traditional luas use dances and ceremonies from Tonga, samoa and don't draw on the traditional Hawaiian experience.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Tina

We have been to several luaus on Kauai over the years and I have to say that Smith's Paradise Pacifica's is one of the best. You can go early and walk the beautiful grounds and there are many photo opps. We took a couple of rolls just walking the grounds. The luau itself is pretty good but the show that is included is really good. You go to a separate area after the meal and the show is one of the best I've seen on most of the islands. Hope you get see it. It's worth the time...enjoy your trip, Kauai is a beautiful island.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:19 PM
danielle

The absolutely best luau is held at the kona village resort. I believe many of the travel guides say it is the best luau of all the hawaiian islands. The only catch is that they have the luau only on Friday nights. Have fun!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 06:38 PM
xxx

All luaus are overpriced tourist traps !!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 08:54 AM
JHS

Stay away from the Hyatt Luau. The food was not very good and the atmosphere was very vegas like.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:45 AM
John

If you want a combination of hotel-style buffet and glitzy show with poi and hula, then the hotel luau's are OK. We enjoyed the luau at Tahiti Nui (a local bar on the east shore)that is family run. It's not as professional (entertainment) but more like a family perty. It may have changed, but the enteratinment was provided by the family - one of whom is a former Miss Hawai'i with a doctorate in anthropology!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:12 AM
sls

A good tip off is "is it indoor or outdoor"? To me an indoor luau is too commmercial and a waste of $$, even though the food may be good. Outdoor setting - esp by the beach -- is always superior.