Molokai Boat Trip or Road to Hana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many disappointments in the Road to Hana. We will be in Kauai for a week before, hiking the Napali coast and staying in Hanalei. Will the Road to Hana then be a disappointment?

Would we get a better experience taking a boat trip over to Molokai to see the cliffs? Is there a company that does this on the internet - I did not see a company listed in my Maui Revealed book.

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 04:53 PM

I've only done it once with my parents eventhough we are over there all the time. After 10 years I may go again. LOL! It's just a long hard road if you get carsick. And then it wasn't a huge deal at Hana. It's the journey that is beautiful. Waterfalls, black sand beaches etc.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM

I have never been to Molokai, please fill us in if you go. I will top a post from Bud's recent "Maui Trip report" about the Road to Hana.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:33 PM

I'm leaving for Maui in 12 days - I just ordered the patches for motion sickness so that I can hopefully enjoy the Road to Hana and sailing trips! Hope they work, can't wait!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:14 PM

I have taken the ferry to Molokai and done the road to Hana.

The Molokai ferry boat doesn't pass by the dramatic sea cliffs but they can be viewed from the Kalapaupa LookOut. If you take the ferry over you wont have time to take the mule train but you will have time to rent a car and drive to the ends of the island. It's an interesting trip, like a visit to a time machine!
Try a web search for Molokai- Princess- Ferry.

I enjoyed Hana but I also used to have a friend
who lived there so I could spend the night when I went. If you do the Hana trip I recommend not backtracking and instead going back to civilization "the back way."
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:30 AM

Hey Nancy,

Did the Kauai/Maui daily double this past February (but in reverse order) and if you have the time (i.e. a full's worth), I would recommend the Road to Hana. While my wife & I were a little disappointed because it was so dry when we were there, we're still glad we did the trip (and we'd do it again if we ever get back there). The scenery is really beautiful.

Now that being said, if it's a choice between the Kalalua Trail (i.e. NaPali Coast) or the Road to Hana, I would do the Kalalua Trail. The views of the Napali Coast on this hike are just stunning. And might I recommend hiking to the falls....an extra 2 miles past the beach (4 roundtrip) but worth every step as your reward, Hanakapi'ai Falls, is spectacular (IMHO).
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Loungin

Nancy03-

Do a search on "the Road to Hana". I wrote a thread about this a long time ago that I think would help you out. In my opinion, those who go to Maui and do not experience the road to Hana, have not seen Maui. It is some of the most breath-taking views I have ever seen. Also, make sure you drive past Hana all the way around the backside of Maui. You won't regret it.

Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:33 AM

didn't do Molokini...but

I could imagine our trip to Maui feeling so magical and complete without the Road to Hana. IMO, it's a MUST! However, I understand it is not for everyone...

good luck with your decision-
aloha!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:48 AM

See www.molokaiferry.com.
No sea cliffs from the ferry. Glimpse from road. No Hansen's disease (leper) colony either, unless you fly out of there.
I'm considering this trip, but, with three children under 9 years, we're blocked from the colony (by forest service rule) and cannot fly past the cliffs (by charter company rule, I'm told). I'm trying to determine if remaining options make a day trip worthwhile.