COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

The Road to Hana

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:11 PM
ajw
Original Poster

The Road to Hana

I am going to Maui and Kauai for my honeymoon in December. We have 6 nights in Maui and then 5 nights in Kauai and I am trying to decide if we should spend one of those nights in Hana. For those of you who have been to Hana, what is your opinion? Also, what is the best type of car to rent while in Maui, convertible or jeep convertible? Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 12:30 PM

We toured the road to Hana in a Sebring convertible (with top down and A/C on) and highly recommend it. We did not stay overnight but would not argue against it.
I do not believe you need a jeep, as the road to Hana is all paved, and rental companies generally do not permit you to drive off road. We saw one couple in a Jeep Wrangler go off the road to Hana onto a dirt road, cross a stream and then get stuck in mud on a beach. Fortunately a local resident came by with a truck before the tide came back in, which would have sunk the Jeep.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I would either stay overnight in Hana or give it a good 12 to 15 hours for a round trip. It has been 5 years since I did the trip, but the road was paved. I believe the rental agency warned me not to go beyond Hana, since the road gets rough. I've read reports from people who did it in normal cars, but I would recommend turning around in Hana.

We stopped at a service station just outside the Maui airport for gas and found a great tape that described the sites on the road to Hana. It was well worth the month.

There is something like 600 curves going to Hana, so plan to take your time. I've never been car sick in my life, but if felt a certain rumbling in my stomach that wasn't caused by Pele

Have a good trip.

Mike Honeycutt
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Stay in Hana a night if you can. The Seven Pools area is very crowded in the afternoon, when all the day-trippers arrive. We wished we had stayed to be able to go there in the morning, and to have more time to hike in. Ditto to Mike's suggestion on the tape from the Shell Station. We borrowed one from a friend and really enjoyed the narration. If you go, take the Maui Revealed book and hike off the beaten path to some of the hidden waterfalls. We had one all to ourselves. And DRIVE ALL THE WAY AROUND. The views are beautiful, and the road is not bad. A jeep is not needed. Enjoy!
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
caribtraveler

We enjoyed the road to Hana. The previous posters are right. You don't need a jeep (we actually had our very own driver/guide which was GREAT). We didn't stay the night but I'm sure it's fine if you do. I would add one thing that the other posters didn't mention. If you susceptible to mosquito bites, protect yourself!! I got SO MANY mosquito bites that day, it was not fun!! And my husband got NONE!! Go figure.
Have a great time!

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:52 PM

I just wrote a trip report detailing our two night stay in Hana, just click on my screenname.

Yes, mosquito repellant. There are some places by some pools that were literally buzzing with them.

For the love of god, DRIVE PAST HANA. There's nothing wrong with the road, seriously, it's fine until you get to the area before Kipahulu, then the road turns to really lousy gravel. But the drive around the south side of the island--the back of Haleakala--is just stunning. It was a perfectly clear day and we could see two peaks of the Big Island, and as we rounded up toward central Maui, we could see the whole coast of Wailea/Kihei, which just made our jaws drop.

We stayed our last two nights of a seven night trip in Hana because we love hiking and waterfalls and stuff. If yr not really into it, maybe just do a day trip. We drove around the back of Haleakala on the way to the airport, so if you go, it might be cool to do it at the end. It was a wonderfully serene way to end the trip. And Maui Revealed was wonderful for Hana sights, especially with directions/maps.

We had a regular closed-top car...it tends to rain off and on on the Hana Hwy, so you may find yrself opening and closing the top a lot, which is a drawback, but I do know that it would've been cool to feel that much closer to all that greenery. They did do a pretty hard sell on the convertible at the car rental place when they asked if we were going to Hana though.

Anyway, my report has a lot of details, including where we stayed, so maybe check that out too. The place we stayed in Hana was really romantic, especially for a honeymoon!

Have fun!

love
roxy
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:04 AM
ajw
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time to advise me. I appreciate your help.

Anna
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:32 AM

I say do it!! We were in maui 6 nights,
Kauai 4, for our honeymoon in June and July. THe things we enjoyed the most were the road to Hana,hiking in Kauai, heli ride in Kauai etc we had a jeep for both islands and loved it! Get Maui revealed they have some great hidden spots to find.
If you want email me and I will try to give you more info
[email protected]
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:55 AM

We had 5 nights in Maui and 5 in Kauai...the road to hana was definitely a highlight and if we had it to do over again we would most certainly stay at least one night in Hana. Go for it and soak in the peace and tranquility!

We had a jeep on Maui and a convertible reserved on Kauai...when we got there we switched to a jeep because we liked it so much on Maui. They are just too much fun to drive and you can always take the top down. ;-)

aloha!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM
gyppielou

For me a day trip just doesn't cut it, I've spent 2 and then 3 nights in Hana, and still left wanting more. Have a blast, if you eat breakfast, try Charlies in Paia on your way!

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:11 AM
bquarre

Stay at the Hotel Hana Maui for at least a night or two! You will love it!

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:16 AM

We loved our drive to Hana (except it rained). We made frequent stops along the way to take pictures and had a picnic in Hana in a covered area with picnic tables near the sea.

We always buy a styrofoam cooler for our stays in Hawaii, usually at ABC Stores, but that time at K-Mart. We also bought a narration tape there that was considerably cheaper than anyplace else we had seen them. We too had breakfast in Paia. gt;
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM

The Road To Hana should be a category already. How about the highway to Hershey?