Search

The road to Hana

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The road to Hana

We did the road to Hana the last time we were in Maui, about 17 years ago. We are going back to Maui in a few months and are planning on doing the road to Hana again since it was spectacular. I can remember that we were told to stop at Hana, turn around, and come back the way we came. However, we kept going all the way around, which ended up being a great decision because we saw some of the most incredible sights we have ever seen. I can remember hitting paved road, then unpaved road, and so on. My question is to anyone that has recently taken the road to Hana and beyond. Is it still possible to take this road all the way around like before? Thanks.
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 05:10 AM

Of course, and in places it (route 31) has been improved, but always check (maui county road closure notifications website) for closures due to occasional heavy rains causing washouts, and subsequent road repairs. (I've never taken the return route from Hana!)
Old Oct 7th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response. That is great to know. I will be sure to check and make sure everything is in the clear before we go. Taking the road all the way around was amazing and I couldn't imagine not being able to do that again.
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 06:32 AM

Totally agree! The back side of Haleakala on the one hand is stunning, and the deep blue of the channel on the other is breathtaking (not to mention all the climate zones as you wnd your way back to 37).
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 07:28 AM

My thoughts are, make sure you check your insurance and rental car policy to see if they allow this.

I have been told rental agency’s don’t allow this and if that’s the case insurance won’t pay.
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

The last time we had a convertible mid-size car for this journey. I remember saying that I would rather have a jeep or SUV the next time we did this. Not sure what the road conditions are like now. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any specific areas that are "must stops" on the road to Hana? During our last trip, we stopped at a natural pool, the seven sacred pools, and also stopped and walked back into a rain forest searching for a waterfall. We probably didn't walk far enough and decided to turn around and get on with the rest of the trip. Is there an area that we should park and take a nice walk and see some amazing sights? I realize the whole road to Hana is amazing scenery, but was wondering if there is anything to see if we walked back into the forest a little bit at any point along the journey.

Also, thinking of getting a mid-sized car for the trip. Would an SUV be better or does it matter? We had a mid-size last time and it was fine. I only ask because I don't know what the road is like these days. I remember it being very winding and narrow most of the way. Thank you for any information.
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 07:22 AM

Never done it in anything but a small car. Stops have included where there were vistas to photograph and where pullouts were available. I suggest looking at google maps in detail to see if anything looks likely. The season also can change what you want to stop for (ephemal waterfalls, for example).
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 07:32 AM

Lindbergh's burial site, several other historic churches, and a MauiWine tour/tasting as you head back upcountry?
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ulupalakua Ranch and Winery. Nice tour and a little wine tasting.