Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

transportation from long island/islip airport to jfk?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my first trip to NY with a friend, but we're arriving in different airports, so I'm looking for the cheapest transportation from the Long Island/Islip airport to JFK airport. Train, taxi, subway, etc? Any info would be helpful!! Thanks!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:12 PM

The cheapest would probably be a taxi from the airport to the Ronkonkoma train station. (Long Island Railroad) Then, take the train into Pennsylvania Station, NYC - 33rd St. and Seventh Ave.

Where is NYC are you staying?

I'll get the website for the railroad and post it for you. Website includes schedule and prices.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:16 PM

http://mta.info/lirr/

Train trip is approx. 1 hr. 25 min to the city from Ronkonkoma.

Peak (rush hour) ticket prices - $12.25

Off-peak ticket prices - $8.25
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 06:31 AM

sychovamp:

Why do you want to get from one airport to the other? Are you both headed into NYC or to some other location? How far ahead will you arrive at Islip before your friend arrives at JFK? I'm asking because this is a tricky, possibly-unpleasant, multi-connection trip.

The easiest way would be by hired car all the way, which would be very expensive. It might take 1.5-2 hours, depending on traffic.

By public transport:
--taxi from Islip Airport to Ronkonkoma LIRR station (next to airport, but not walkable)
--LIRR to Jamaica station (should cost slightly less than all the way to Penn Station luv2fly mentioned)
--at Jamaica change to Q10 bus which goes to JFK ($2)

Alternately, at Jamaica you could grab a cab to speed your trip. The Q10 will make many stops along the way to JFK.

If things go well, this entire trip on public transport might take 3 hours. And then you have to get to your final destination.

My choice? If you are both headed somewhere else--Manhattan, somewhere on Long Island--I would plan to meet at your final destination.

By the way, a light rail system is under construction that will connect JFK directly to the Jamaica train station in a few years.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:57 AM

I agree the best option would be for you both to go into the city separately from your respective airports & meet there rather than trying to find each other at JFK. There's a previous thread on all the options to get to the city from Islip MacArthur. Type Islip AND NY in the text search. OR, go to the website for the Islip airport which lists all the transport.

If you're determined to go to JFK from Islip, other than hiring a limo/car service, you can take the Hampton Jitney (a bus). The Jitney has a website (I think hamptonjitney.com) You would have to arrange for a car pick up (the jitney has a co. they use)from Islip to the Jitney stop on the LIE. Then get off the Jitney at their "airport connection" stop in Queens where another car (also arranged by you but through the jitney) would take you to JFK. So cab, bus, cab. OR, you COULD attempt to meet on the jitney. You get on in Islip & they get on in Queens.