Mobility issues in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in San Francisco for a week in November with my husband. I have lots of nerve damage in my legs and know I will have trouble with the hills. Is mass transportation really good and will I be able to get to neighborhoods, Golden Gate Park and be able to walk or is the entire area hilly. Any itenerary suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nancy
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:01 AM
SAB

GGP is relatively flat in the areas that most people visit with the exception of the paths upto Stowe Lake. Not all of SF is hilly, Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square (below Sutter), the Embacadero, Market Street, South of Market, Chinatown are mostly flat. The main commercial streets in most neighborhoods are flat: Castro, Haight, Chestnut, Union St., Mission, 24th Street for example. Some of the more popular tourist attractions are up a hill such as Nob Hill, GGB, Coit Tower, Lombard Street, Twin Peaks (but no one really walks up Twin Peaks). Public transportation goes almost everywhere in SF so that is always a way to avoid the hills.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 02:02 AM

Hi, I just responded to you about Napa and Sonoma! The other person left you a really good message about our hills and transportation. I just wanted to add that SF is known for it's great transportation. You can get public transportation everywhere you want to go. Our transportation is called "MUNI" which covers our light rail and our buses. We also have "BART" which is like a subway system, but also goes above ground. Of course we have Cable Cars too, but they cover more limited areas. Buses are $1.25 or .35 for senior/disabled. You can get a transfer to use up to 2 hours with each fare. You can also get a MUNI Passport for 1, 3, or 7 days ($9/$15/$20) the web site for all the information is http://www.sfmuni.com Although you should always be careful when riding public transportation, our transportations are relatively safe. Oh, and yes, SF is known for it's hills. But, on one block there will be a steep hill, then by the next block, it will be almost flat. So, sometimes, you just need to walk an extra block to avoid the hill. I hope this info helps. Once again, have a great trip and enjoy this great city!
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:31 AM

You might consider a half day bus tour of the city when you first arrive if you are unfamiliar with the layout. The advantage is the bus parks very close to various stops - also, you will be able to view for yourself the topography of various areas and decide to which ones you want to return on your own by public transportation.

If you go to Alcatraz it is very hilly but they have golf-cart type things for people with disabilities that take you around the paved part of the island.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 07:18 AM

You can download and print a magnificent pdf MUNI map - includes all the routes, all the streets, most of the sights and attractions. The "passport" is a great bargain and a real convenience.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 01:16 PM

What is the web site to get the MUNI map?
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 03:44 PM

This is the website for MUNI:

http://www.sfmuni.com/home/home50.htm

Nancdb, you may have a problem with Cable Cars if stairs is a problem, they have 2 steep steps which are not easy to climb.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

I just want to thank the people who responded to my post about my mobility issues. I'm sorry I haven't checked this site for awhile, but my dog had suregery on both her hips and I've just been taking care of her. I'll really need a vacation by the time our depqarture date arrives. I sure would appreciate any suggestions as to thing we must not miss and also reasonably priced restaurant suggestions. Thank you so much! Nancy