First Trip to San Fran/places to stay

Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

First Trip to San Fran/places to stay

Hi everyone!
This is our first trip to San Francisco, and we are planning on seven days there in June. My wife and I will be traveling with two older children, ages 15 and 19. After reading many of the previous posts, I have narrowed our hotel choices to the Argonaut, The Maxwell Hotel, Cow Hollow Suites, and the Omni. Any ideas regarding which are in quieter areas or more convenient to attractions?
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:45 PM

I've only stayed at the Argonaut, which is right next to the Cannery and Fisherman's Wharf; our room was quiet and very pleasant. The older children can walk around comfortably by themselves in the neighborhood; it's a half-hour walk to the Ferry Building along the Embarcadero, past Pier 39 and its various attractions. Sorry I don't know anything about your other options.
Apr 24th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Hi there,
SF is a pretty small city and things are pretty close together. I would say the Omni is possibly the closest to the attractions given that it is walking distance to Union Square, North Beach and Chinatown. Because it is in the financial district, it tends to empty out as a neighborhood on the weekends.

The Argonaut is in Fisherman's Wharf, an area which I tend to dislike - it's super touristy I just feel like there are better areas to stay in the City. However, you are still walking distance to North Beach and by the ferry to Alcatraz. I'm not sure what you mean by quieter areas - less traffic? less people? That's all pretty relative - I used to live in NYC, so I think SF is pretty quiet all around.

The Cow Hollow Suites is a great option if you want to be in a neighborhood in which locals live. The motel borders Lombard Street which is busy (6 lanes), so be sure to ask for a room that doesn't face the street in general, or Lombard Street specifically. You can still walk to the wharf (20 min.) and take buses to the GG bridge and Union Square area. This area is the most charming of the three I've described - lots of restaurants and shops.

Hope that helps!
Apr 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Hello bilsyl, you might want to go onto tripadvisor.com and read the various reviews of the hotels in SF. We all have different requirements and ideas as to which is the "best".

I too am confused about quiet. SF is a big city. You get traffic and sirens etc. But some hotels are quieter then others. Just like some locations are more convenient to attractions. But what attractions? Mine may not be the same as yours. In a way a major part of SF has attractions.

I personally prefer to stay in the Union Square area. But others don't.

Anyway, I hope that the website I gave you will help you decide where you want to stay. And welcome to SF!
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:57 PM

My aunt always stays at Maxwell's (about every 2 years) rather than staying with me in SF because it's in the downtown shopping district. The rooms that she's had were small but the price was right. Maxwell's also has a restaurant off the lobby called Max's (no relationship) which is a local chain. They have outrageous desserts and all of the portions are quite large.

Maxwell's is a few blocks from Market Street where you can catch a street car to Fisherman's Wharf. If you can, ride on one of the narrow orange street cars which are from Milan. The advertising is in Italian. The hotel is also within walking distance to Chinatown and the SF Museum of Modern Art.

If you're going to be using public transportation (recommended), I suggest that you get a 7-day visitor pass for SF Muni (buses, street cars, cable cars), see http://www.sfmuni.com/cms/mms/fares/....htm#passports or a City Pass which includes admission to several museums and attractions.

Your kids may enjoy Virgin Records (Stockton and Market St) which has several floors. They have a lot of imported music. For SF history, City Guides offers free walking tours every day. Their web site is http://www.sfcityguides.org/.

The Omni hotel is a renovated office building in the middle of the financial district. That area is pretty dead at night and on the weekends.

The Cow Hollow Suites is great, but Union and Chestnut Street areas have a lot of nice shops and restaurants which may not interest your kids. If you have a car, I think that they have free parking unlike Maxwell's and the Omni.