Moab Restaurants for New Years Eve?? - Dayle!

Dec 11th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Moab Restaurants for New Years Eve?? - Dayle!

Dayle and anyone else that can help us decide.

We are spending 2 nights at our favorite Moab B&B - Cali Cochitta B&B -- [12/31 and 1/1] and are looking for suggestions for dinner on NYE.

We have eaten at Pasta Jay's and it is good, but not what we are looking for on NYE.

We are thinking about:
- Red Cliffs Grill
- Sorrel River Grill
- Sunset Grill
- Center Cafe
- Desert Bistro

I am not sure if these places are open in winter. Will also need a place for dinner the next night.

All ideas most appreciated!

Thanks!
Deb

Dec 11th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Hi Deb,

I'm sure most of them will be open. Not sure about the Sunset Grill though.

Of those you list, I have only eaten at the Center Cafe and the Desert Bistro. I had a very disappointing meal and service at the Center Cafe, enough so that I would not give them a second chance.

On my visit in October, I splurged on a birthday dinner at Desert Bistro and it was outstanding in every way! Drool....

I think both of these will book up very early for New Year's Eve! The other two, being rather far out of town probably will not (just a guess). Personally, I would not want to be driving the highway along the river on New Year's Eve.

Let us know where you end up! I'd like to hear about the food at the Red Cliffs and Sorrel River. I've visited the Red Cliffs, but not stayed. I don't think their restaurant is what you are looking for either. It struck me as a kind of slightly glorified Best Western, tour bus type of restaurant.

Hope this helps!
Dec 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Dayle; Center Cafe is closed until early Feb. Need to call the other places and see what their status is for that time frame.
Is it snowing out your way? It is here in SW Colorado.
Deb
Dec 11th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Yes, we have snow!! It started Fri night and didn't stop until Sun morning. I now have 2 feet in my yard at about 6700 ft.

Highly recommend Desert Bistro!
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM

We ate at Desert Bistro in June and found it to be good. I am sure you have eaten at Moab Brewery before, and it probably isn't what you are looking for NY eve, but we liked it. Another place we liked had a strange name to it. They just served sandwiches, smoothies. They had oriental food(rice bowls, etc). I cannot remember the name, but it was pretty good for lunch we thought. It had a funky name. Jailhouse Cafe we liked for an upscale breakfast. Breakfast is the only time they are open. Hogi Yogi/terryaki stix is that name of that place- I knew i could remember it.
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:23 AM

I have read several of your posts and know that you have been to this area before. So I figure you have done a lot there. One of our favorite things to do there was Canyoneering with Desert Highlights. It is somewhat adventurous, but not over the top. Moab Adventure Center does it as well, but not in Arches. Even if you don't go Canyoneering, they also offer guided tours into Fiery Furnace. This way you do not have to worry about getting an admission to go into the Fiery Furnace.
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips spiro - we have taken our Land Rover off road while in Moab and it is really great. We will attempt to do it if the weather cooperates.

Breakfast comes with the room at B&B, so we need lunch and dinners only. I will check out Yogi/Hogi. Trouble is that a lot of places close during the winter in Moab.

Deb
Dec 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Canyoneering is hiking with a few Rappels here and there. You have to do scrambling and chimneying to get into a few places. It can involve getting into water in canyons as well, but I prefer to stay dry. We did a hummer tour with Moab Adventure. It scared me to death and I still can't believe I didn't get out and walk. Look at www.deserthighlights.com it is a pretty nice website.
Dec 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Hi, Deb.

We ate at both the Desert Bistro and the Sunset Grille in May and absolutely loved the Desert Bistro. The ambience, food and service were top-notch. The Sunset Grille, on the other hand, was pretty ordinary. When we go back to Moab we will definitely eat at the Desert Bistro but will not bother with the Sunset Grille. If Pasta Jay's is not what you're looking for, then I suspect the Sunset Grille is not either.

Hope this helps--I remember all your great help when I planned our trip for last May.

Ruth