Search

Moab Mayhem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab Mayhem

If you had 2 1/2 days in Moab what would you have to see, do or visit?
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM
KMK

Guessing you're not a mountain biker, or you wouldn't have to ask (this is mountain bike mecca)! But, if you're not a biker, I would recommend:

1. Definitely see Arches National Park.
2. The view at Deadhorse Point Park is spectacular.
3. Rent a little Jeep Wrangler (4x4) and go on the off-road trails. Neat way to see a lot of the area. Farabee's in town rents Jeeps for this purpose & will advise you on where to go.
4. If you're REALLY brave, try canyoneering. www.deserthighlights.com We had a great trip, but it is exhausing.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Arches for a day, Canyonlands for a day with a visit to Dead Horse Point State Park. A hike up to Corona Arch is a great place to spend a morning. There are a number of good restaurants in Moab plus some River Rafting opportunities. Endless off road with bikes or four-wheelers. The city is picturesque itself. You'll end up wishing you had several more days. Have fun.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Jeep trips are fun but you will lose a lot of precious time checking in and out the vehicle. Besides the best part of the parks are easily reached by car.

Day 1 Arches all day
Day 2 Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District.
1/2 Day. Hike to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park.

My pictures of Arches & Delicate arch is the bottom left picture.
http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/utahteaswebpages/id15.html

If you are not up to hiking, then drive out Hwy 128 towards Castle Valley. This road follows the Colorado River thought the canyons. The Potash Road is another scenic drive with petroglphys.

Utahtea
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Rent the movie "Thelma and Louise" before you go. The last 25 minutes of the movie contains several scenes shot just outside of Moab.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - can't wait to hit Moab.

Watched Thelma and Louise just last week - has anyone ever re-enacted the final scene of that movie? - I don't mean anyone on this site but just generally!

Great photos Utahtea and cool website - love the story about the rings.

Thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 05:56 AM

The 128 is a really beautiful drive and if you could only do one, I would recommend that before the Potash drive. It is a knock-out. Another really spectacular drive we did was a round trip up into the mountains behind Moab. I can't remember the road name, just ask at the tourist center in Moab and they'll give you directions. It was remarkable going from the beautiful red rock desert through pine forests then up into aspen trees and alpine meadows with flowers then back down again. The area around Moab is one of the most beautiful in one of the most beautiful areas in the US. Enjoy!
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:39 AM

bbib,

I haven't heard of anyone re-enacted the final scene of Thelma & Louise Movie. If they tried they didn't live to tell about it!

From Dead Horse Date Park you can see the dirt road where they jumped from. Some maps call it the Shafer Trail and some call it the Potash Road at this point.

If you take the Shafer Trail down from Canyonlands you will drive on the dirt road that they jumped from. This is a 4 wheel drive road but if you have a high clearance car the Shafer trail can be done going DOWN without 4 wheel drive. From Moab you take the Potash Road well past the paved road.

Here is a picture from Dead Horse State Park of the Shafer trail/Potash Road.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/dead_horse_point/deadhorse.html

You can even take a vitual trip on the Shafer trail at this website:

http://www.untraveledroad.com/USA/Utah/SanJuan/Canyonlands/r?=199W

Utahtea