Moab for 4 days in October with kids

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moab for 4 days in October with kids

We've never been to Moab before and will be going down there in mid-October. We have two kids (7 and 9) and both can ride a bike. The youngest, however, can't do too much of an incline for too long. Are there any trails favorable to the novice mountain biker?

Knowing that, what should we do during our trip there? Is it still worth it to pack our bikes? Can anyone suggest an itinerary? We'll be arriving sometime late Thursday and will be staying through Sunday.

Also, what type of clothes will we need during that time? Does it still get pretty warm during the afternoon and still cool down quite a bit at night? Do you think snow is a possibility?

Are there any good books that you'd recommend that would refer to Moab with a family?

Thanks for any assistance you can give!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:10 AM

We never took our bikes to Moab, only because it was to far from home. I have no idea what all the bike trails are like.

There is plenty to do in Moab for a week! I've never been in Oct. so I can't comment on the weather.

What I do know is there is plenty to do. Spend one full day in Arches stopping at all the different overlooks and do the Delicate Arch Trail hike. My boys were about your kids age when we did this the hike the first time.

Spend another day and drive to Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District and Dead Horse State Park. A nice easy hike to do is Mesa Arch and the one in the Grand View area, both hikes are in Canyonlands. If you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle or want to rent one in town, then drive into Canyonlands on the 4 wheel drive Shafer Trail, visit Canyonlands and Dead Horse State Park and come back on the 4 wheel drive Long Trail. Get maps in town.

On another day drive out scenic Hwy 128 to Fisher Towers. This is a beautiful drive along the Colorado River going east. Drive the Potash road & Kane Creek Road looking for petroglyphs. Both of these roads follow the Colorado River going west out of town on both sides of the river. Ask in town for directions. Go back into Arches to do another hike like Landscape Arch or Park Avenue and watch the sunset.

The Moab Chamber of Commerce is right in town and a great resourse of information.

Utahtea
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:29 AM

You will love Moab!

www.discovermoab.com is an excellent source that I used while planning my family's trip. We spent 3 nights in Moab ~ I didn't want to leave!
As Utahtea suggested, the Shafer Trail @Canyonlands is a "must do". We hired an outfitter to take us. There are several to choose from. We used O.A.R.S. & they were great! Excellent, knowledgeable guides and a very nice lunch.
Your kids will love seeing the petroglyphs.
We didn't mountain bike, so I can't help you w/that. Check out the above website. Tricia
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tricia and Utahtea!

We just got back from Moab yesterday and 3 days were not nearly enough!!! We stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge (14 miles outside of town on 128) and LOVED it! We hiked the Delicate Arch trail the first day. Did a white water raft trip down the Colorado River the next and yesterday morning we did a horseback riding trip. All I can say is WOW! I can't wait to go back! We didn't even make it to Canyonlands.

Each day after our activity, we'd go back and swim and relax by the pool (with the beautiful plateaus and red rock cliffs in the background). The temps were in the low to mid 80s and not a cloud in the sky. It doesn't get much better than that!

Ate at Moab Brewery and La Hacienda in town while we were there. Both were very good. Also ate at the restaurant at Red Cliffs Lodge the first night and the food was mediocre.

Thanks again. We're planning a trip back in May!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:52 AM

glad that you enjoyed your selves. we are planning a trip next summer and we are staying at the same place . i am glad that it was wonderful.
what company did you go on the white water trip with?
thanks\
melissa
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

We went with Adrift Adventures. They really did a nice job. We rafted 1/2 way down the Colorado and then they pulled tables off the rafts, got out the red and white table cloths and set up a spread (make your own sandwiches, with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, potato salad, macaroni salad, oreos, other cookies and cut oranges). I didn't know they had all that stuff on the boats with us. It was really fun. I'd recommend them. I have also heard good things about Moab Adventure Center (they were totally booked).

If you're going to do horseback riding I would definitely recommend going with Red Cliffs Lodge. They give a nice orientation and then put you in a fenced-in area so that you can get used to "steering" your horse. It was a really nice touch and allowed you to get to know your horse. Then they took us on this awesome 2 hour ride through streams, up and down hills, in gulleys, etc. It was really cool. All the while their border collie ran beside and all over the place. Can't say enough good things about it. You'll love it.

Red Cliffs has a nice laundry facility. We didn't stay long enough to use it but we certainly got dirty enough to need it! Its right by the pool so you can throw a load in and then sit by the pool.

You'll really enjoy Red Cliffs Lodge.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 02:49 PM

parkcitygal,

May will be a great time to visit. If you don't have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, then I recommend renting one in Moab and going into Canyonlands on the Shafer Trail with a short side trip on the White Rim trail to Musselman Arch and then up into the park. Spend the day in Canyonlands and then come back on Long Trail. These are not real hard roads to drive but SO MUCH FUN!

My pictures of this trip:

http://pages.ivillage.com/utahtea2/id10.html

Virtual trip on the Shafer Trail:

http://www.untraveledroad.com/USA/Ut...yonlands/r199W

Utahtea...know you now why I Utah!

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello again.

Well, we never made it to Moab in May...went to Yellowstone instead. But we are planning to head back down there over Labor Day. Red Cliffs Lodge is booked so we were thinking of some place in town...maybe Aarchway Inn? Has anyone stayed there? We want to do some hikes...since we did Delicate Arch last October, what should we try next? We found out in Yellowstone that the kids DO NOT like scenic driving! So the more hiking and out of the car excursions, the better.

Utahtea, what do you think? Also have you ever been there at that time of year? Will it still be warm?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:13 PM

HI PC,

from one to another...

Moab should be ery nice, especially for hiking in October. Cool at night.

Other hikes you would enjoy, outside the parks, is Corona Arch. Short, easy & very scenic. You kids would probably love the Firey Furnace if they are a bit adventurous. Sign up & pay fee at the Visitor Center ahead of time. Another good hike outside the park is to Rainbow Arch in Negro Bill Canyon. About 5 miles but not too hard and well worth it. The trailhead is just about 3 miles east on the road east out of Moab. You can get info on all these hikes at the Info Center in Moab.

Have fun!

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM

I've never been in late September, but my guess it will be a good time of the year.

Other hikes in Arches that I like are Park Avenue, Landscape arch and if you're not afraid of heights you might try the 5 mile round trip to Dark Angel. You have to walk up on top of fins for that one! Sand Dune arch was fun for our boys.

In Canyonlands, Island in the Sky district we liked Mesa Arch and there's an improved Grandview hike that was pretty level but great views.

Our boys always liked going back and doing Delicate Arch

Utahtea
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:48 PM

We stayed at the Aarchway Inn last month and were very happy with it. The rooms (2 beds, Queens I think) we're quite large and comfortable. The kids enjoyed the pool and the breakfast (included) was fine. it is at the end of town towards the National Parks so was quieter than being in the middle of town. We would happily return there.