Search

Ideas for Moab? Thank you!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Moab? Thank you!

HI everyone,
Thanks in advance for helping us plan trips throughout UT, AZ and all over the world! NOw, we are off to Moab area this summer (May? June?), but only have about a week. Plan to fly in/out of Gr. Junction, CO since it's closest according to postings.
1. What should we highlight with so little time? Love to hike, eat great food, scenery and relax. I have researched and noted some favorite hikes (Utahtea - thanks!)
2. Best drives? I have Needles as a must.
3. Best place to stay? Is there anything comprable to the Desert Pearl in this area. The Pearl (Zion) was truly one of the best places we have stayed in the world! The places on the web in MOab look dumpy. ???
4. How many days in Arches? Canyonlands?
5. Should be rent an SUV?
Thank you for your help. I know this is LATE planning!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:24 AM

Will you be staying in Moab the entire week or moving around some? We definitely enjoyed Moab more when we stayed at a hotel at the center of town where we could walk to dining, shops, etc. Arches Nat'l Park has some awesome hikes - Devils Garden, Tower Arch, Delicate Arch - all just gorgeous. You might consider spending a few nights in Torrey or Boulder to see Capital Reef/Grand Staircase. Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder is an incredible dining experience in the middle of unbelievable scenery. Will you have 4 wheel drive?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Several years ago we stayed at the Gonzo Inn in Moab and loved it. http://www.gonzoinn.com/
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

yes, we have done mon. valley, cap reef, etc. all fab! we will focus this trip on arches and canyonlands. and anything else ya'll rec'd!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Hi Zacky,

Oh BOY a whole week in Moab! May will probably be the better month to go. It starts getting hot in June.

Coming from Grand Junction exit Interstate 70 at Cisco exit and take Hwy 128 into Moab. The scenery changes once you cross the Colorado River near the old historic Dewey Bridge. We drove on that bridge back in the 1970's! I think it's more dramatic coming into Moab on this route. The canyon gets narrower and narrower as you get close to Moab.

When you drive back to Grand Junction take Hwy 191 to I-70 and leave enough time to exit at Thompson to check out the petroglyphs at Sego Canyon. It's just about 3 miles north of town. This rock art is very GOOD!

My favorite hikes in Arches are Delicate Arch, Park Avenue and the hike to Dark Angel. On Dark Angel you pass Landscape Arch which is really special and Double O which wasn't that great IMHO, but after Double O you walk on the top of sandstone fins which was really fun to get to Dark Angel. Dark Angel is not an arch, but still interesting. I've never done Fiery Furnace, but it's on my to do list.

I also haven't done the hike to Tower Arch because we took the 4 wheel drive road there. I really don't recommend that road because it's a difficult trail and takes to much time getting there and back. It would probably be better to just hike it...that's what we plan to do next time.

In Canyonlands Island in the Sky you will want to do Mesa Arch. I also really liked the easy hike to Grand View Point. Make sure you stop at Green River overlook. I haven't been there since they paved the road, but that overlooks is my FAVORITE! Upheaval Dome Overlook Trail didn't do that much for me, but maybe cause it was so hot. Other people really like this trail. Whale Rock trail was fun. In the Needles District make sure you stop at Newspaper Rock State Park on your way in. Cave Spring Trail is interesting and so is the Pothole Point Trail. The only 4 wheel drive road we've done here is now closed to vehicles.

If it were me, I'd rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle but make sure they allow off road driving! I've looked into this a couple of times and most don't allow off road driving. If they don't allow then it isn't worth getting an suv. If you decide to do some 4 x 4 roads, rent a jeep in Moab for a day or two.

If you rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle with high clearance then from Moab take the Potash Road to the White Rim Trail. Make the short trip to Musselman Arch and then go back to the jct and take the Shafer Trail into Canyonlands and take the Long Canyon trail back to the Potash Road. Great FUN!

The first part of the Potash Road is paved, so if you don't get a 4 x 4 you can drive along the river for the scenery and the petroglphs. On the other side of the river is Kane Creek Road. Again this is a scenic drive with many petroglphs. If you get a 4 x 4 then you can continue on Kane Creek to Hurrah Pass. Get views of the Anticline. We ran out of time and didn't make it past Hurrah Pass.

The 1/2 day float trip on the Colorado River out of Moab was a lot of fun!

Colorado National Monument just outside of Grand Junction, CO is worth a stop if you have the time.

We camp, so I'm no help with lodging or eatting out. We like to cook.

Utahtea
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Hi Zacky,

Utahtea named most of my favorite hikes. I've done the Firey Furnace twice and recommend it highly. You must make advance reservations for this ranger-led hike.

Two B&B's: The Dreamkeeper Inn, two blocks off Main St. I've stayed there many times and it's very nice,quiet, and relaxing. Also the Sunflower Inn. I have not stayed there yet personally, but many friends have and they recommend it. Very nice.

You can have a blast in Moab in a week. Hiking, horseback riding, rafting, 4x4, photography, mountain bike riding, etc. ,etc. If you are really adventurous, get one of the local adventure tour companies to take you into slot canyons where you can rapell!

There is also a "resort" type place about a 25 minute drive east of town called the Red Cliffs Lodge. Not my cup of tea, but some people like it.

Have fun!
If you want to stay in a nice place get your res immediately.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

thank you all so much! you are the best! now, one last question - how many days at each? 3 in arches? 2 in canyonlands?
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM

For a general plan, yes one day at each of the two districts of Canyonlands and 2 days for sure in Arches and then leave one day free for going back to where you liked most. Also give yourself time to explore around Moab.

The entrance to Arches is only 4 miles from Moab. DH and I like to run in for a quick hike or sunsets even if we haven't been in the park all day.

Utahtea
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Excellent! These are fabulous ideas. We like our sunsets, sunrises and free time, too. THANK YOU!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:16 PM

We also stayed at Gonzo Inn last year and liked it a lot. (we stayed at Desert Pearl as well during this trip).

We spent a couple of days in Arches and only a day in Canyonlands. I would add a day to both. We also did the 1/2 day rafting trip which we enjoyed.

I don't recall having any "great" meals in Moab...
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

bummer about the food in moab. we love to eat! is there anything decent out there to eat? a nice meal and cold beer or wine (doesn't have to be expensive) after hiking all day is the ultimate treat. thinking about staying at red cliffs lodge. anyone stay there? seems very nice.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Hi again Zacky,

As I mentioned above, the Red Cliffs Lodge is not in Moab. It's about a 20 minute drive east on the river highway out of town. I have not stayed there, but did go out horseback riding at their stables and looked around after. It's far too "touristy" for me, but some people on Fodor's have said they liked it. I also would not want to stay that far out.

Moab is not a "resort" type town with 5* hotels and white linen dining. It's a wonderful, funky old western uranimum mining town that just happens to have the most amazing scenery! Once you get there, you will appreciate it for what it is.

I like the Moab Brewery, the Slickrock Cafe, Eddie McStiff's, and the smoothie and wrap place across the street from the Visitor's Center. Can't remember the name, Rainbows, something? Some people like the Center Cafe, the most expensive place in town, but I was disappointed in the food and service. Maybe I got them on a bad night, but I feel like places charging those $$ shouldn't ever have a bad night.

Happy travels!

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

ok - here is the deal. we got 2 nts. at dreamkeeper inn and 2 nts. at red cliff. every place in town is booked Mem. Day weekend (but for some dumps.

now we are flying into SaltLakeC.
any tips for scenic drive into/out of moab area to/from SLC?
and, we are not 4x4ing on this trip or rafting. is hiking and biking rec'd? or just keep it to hikes only?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:19 AM

I've taken two different routes from SLC to Moab. Interstate 15 down to Spanish Fork and then Hwy 6 to Interstate 70. It's a nice drive, but nothing that special. It's about 240 miles and about a 5 1/2 hour drive. I've read that Hwy 6 has been know to have a lot of accidents so take care when passing.

The second route would be to take I-15 down to Scipio, then take Hwy 50 and cut across to Interstate 70. I-70 between Fremont Jct. and Green River is called the San Rafael Swell. Very scenic. One of my favorite interstate drives. This route is about 320 miles but since most of it is on interstates it's only about a 5 hour drive.

I would do one route coming and one route going back. I would also take the short 24 mile round trip detour to Thompson Springs and check out Sego Canyon either coming or going.

I've never been bike riding in the area so I can't comment on that. There is plenty of hiking to do!

You don't need 4 x 4 to drive out Hwy 128 to Fisher Towers, the Potash and Kane Creek roads until the pavement ends. All are very scenic drives! On Hwy 128 watch for the rafters on the river.

Here's a great website:

http://www.so-utah.com/

Utahtea

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM

2 great meals in Moab & not expensive: La Hacienda (Mexican) & Pasta Jays (Italian).

Something else to try in addition to the NPs: High Point Hummer Tour of Hell’s Revenge slickrock trail.

Did you call the Sleep Inn (choicehotels.com): new building, indoor hot tub, outdoor pool, great rates.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Biking was a little intimidating for me, but my husband loved it.

We did the Klondike Bluffs trail together. The trail takes you to bluffs that are in Arches National Park. The ride was a little scary for me, but there were little kids who were enjoying it. There are also real dinosaur tracks along the trail -- very cool.

My husband tried the famous Slickrock Trail and thought it was great.

I'd try at least one bike ride while you're in Moab! There are several places in Moab that rent mountain bikes.

I second the Eddie McStiff's restaurant recommendation above. I also recommend trying some Wasatch Polygamy Porter -- great beer.

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Zacky,
We ate at a great mexican restaurant that was relatively new last fall called Casa Valentina. It's on the left as you are entering Moab from the north (from Arches) and sits in a grove of large trees. The food was excellent, authentic Mexican and very reasonably priced. Great service too. We ordered guacamole and they came and made it to order at our table. Very enjoyable meal.