Restaurants near Longwood Gardens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a day trip from central NJ to Longwood Gardens. Any suggestions for PA. casual or moderate restaurants in the area?
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:46 AM

I think that you'd enjoy Longwood Gardens' Terrace Restaurant. You can get more information from their website at www.longwoodgardens.com . I'd suggest making a reservation....
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we'll keep it in mind if there are not any other suggestions as we have already eaten there many years ago. So Fodorites, any other places?
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM

There's a really good Mexican restaurant in nearby Kennett Square. It's very casual. We always look forward to a trip to the area to eat there. Called Taqueria Moroleon and it's in the New Garden Shopping Center.

~Liz
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Mexican recommendation. Are there Amish "family-style" restaurants that anyone has tried?
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 04:11 PM

No, you'd have to head out to Lancaster County for Amish family style eating – maybe a 35-45 minute drive from Longwood to have a whole lot of heavy, ordinary food. I think that a Kennett Square restaurant is your best bet, & I'd recommend the Half Moon Restaurant & Saloon. They serve everything from crab nachos to wild game in a casual, lively atmosphere, and Kennett's a cute town to browse.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

ckwald,
Your suggestion is great. We've never spent time in the town of Kennett Square (usually we spend the entire day at the Gardens). Anyhow now that you pointed out that we'd have to drive quite a distance for Amish food (I was NOT a geography teacher!), we'll concentrate on the Kennett Square area.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 06:03 AM

A good moderate spot is Hank's Place on Route 1 in Chadds Ford. It has good homemade diner style meals in a casual setting. There's often a line to get in, especially on weekends, but it moves pretty quickly. Lots of local hang out here - rumored to include artists like Andrew Wyeth. Down Route 52 into Delaware is Buckley's Tavern, featuring wonderful mushroom soup and good burgers in an historic inn.