Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC dining questions:, Russian Tea Room, Tavern on the G., and ethnic pre-theater?

Search

NYC dining questions:, Russian Tea Room, Tavern on the G., and ethnic pre-theater?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:28 PM
Cassandra

1. Russian Tea Room is long since closed, correct? Anyone buy it, any plans to reopen under new management?

2. Tavern on the Green: Is brunch Sunday only? Are they open for lunch otherwise, and is that worth it? What do you request -- "Crystal Room"? Terrace? -- for February date?

3. Like Russian, Afghani, Armenian, etc. food and wondering what is best near 46th st. theater. Firebird ok? Anything else?

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The Russian Tea is closed, with no plans (at least not any made public) to reopen.
2. Few of us New Yorkers would recommend Tavern on the Green under any circumstances.
3. The Firebird would be an excellent choice.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Firebird is said to be good but if you're looking for something more casual and far less expensive there are at least two Afghan, one Turkish, a few greek, an Ethiopian and countless other good ethinc restaurants on 9th Ave in the 40's and low 50's. Suggest a cuisne that most interests you and recommendations are sure to be available.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Firebird has a website. You may want to check the menu offerings and prices.

Petrossian and Russian Samovar are both excellent. (Both have websites.)

Here's another recommendation not to bother with Tavern on the Green, unless you're going just for the decor and that it's Tavern on the Green, and understand that you should not expect great food or service, in spite of the exhorbitant prices.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:26 AM

There are a couple of restaurants on 3rd Ave that might be what you are looking for Afgan, Turk, Vietnamese, and more I can't even think of. They are just south of 30th ST down to about 24th St on both sides of the Avenue.

Also around the corner on Lexington Ave is Little India, (now called Curry Hill, I understand) Anna Purna is the best one there.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Howard - you mention that you would not recommend Tavern on the Green. Tell me why. As a tourist - we hear alot about the Tavern on the Green and will be courious. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 11:15 AM
GoTravel

TOTG is very overpriced crappy food. The setting is wonderful but the food sucks. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 03:22 PM

GoTravel pretty much answered your question, Shelly.
The food is average to mediocre at best. The service is fair. The prices are high.
Sure, the place is beautiful, but not that beautiful to compensate for everything stated in the previous paragraph!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Re: Tavern on the Green. My daughters insisted that we go. The food was indeed average. The service was snooty. And the setting was tres gauche. I didn't think any of the rooms were particularly attractive. But it's kind of like Tiajuana. You have to go once to know you don't want to ever go again.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I've been singing at Tavern on the Green for Christmas Eve for a few years, and can tell you also first hand, that the restaurant is very busy, and very touristy. Most New Yorkers just don't go there, because the food is not great. The atmosphere is very pretty in some of the rooms, so why don't you go in the evening and have a drink at the bar, or late evening for desert. You might call and see how late they are open and go after the mading crowds.

There are so many GOOD restaurants in the city to enjoy. Pick up a Zaggat's guide so you can pick some of the best wherever you are. We live here and refer to the guide often when we want to try somewhere new.

It is so sad to see the Russian Tea Room closed, it was an anchor in the Carnegie Hill area. I have not heard of anyone reopening but I will be driving by it tomorrow so will post if there is any news.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:11 AM

I worked at TOTG for awhile and I could tell you awful stories. It's tacky and overpriced, the food is not great and it's mobbed with tourists. In the summer it might be nice to have a drink outside just to be there, the location is great. Otherwise, forget it. Zagat's, Newyorkmetro.com, Chowhound.com and Citysearch are all helpful guides.