MiniTrip Report:Portland, OR

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MiniTrip Report:Portland, OR

I arrived at the Santa Barbara airport to fly direct to Portland (Horizon Air $238.00) and the flight was on time! Arrival in Portland was uneventful (just the way I like it) and I easily found my rental in the Avis area. I had the car in about 2 minutes and away I went!

After my 2 hour meeting in SE Portland ( the purpose of my trip) I headed to my hotel in downtown Portland The Paramount, at 4th and Taylor. Check in was very quick, the valet was sweet and I was up to room 906 in no time at all! My view was not stunning in natural beauty but I realized quickly that I would be visiting Starbucks and Nordstom's in the morning! (More about that later.)

My room was very pleasing to the eye. Heavy fabrics in creme and black in classic patterns seemed very restful to me. My king bed was very comfortable and double-sheeted. Next to the bed was a lounge chair and across the room a desk with two wood chairs, and an armoire, with TV.

The bathroom was decent sized and I was impressed with the basket of goodies they offered. Shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, lotion, a shoe mit, shower cap, french milled soap and glycerine soap! They also had a jar with cotton balls and q-tips that I thought was a great idea, until I realized I wouldn't want to reach in and touch or perhaps use an article that someone else had touched. There was no way to "fish" anything out without touching a few, so I left it closed.

The location of the hotel was superb. They offered a map of downtown with shopping highlights and I took full advantage of it! I sought out the Teusher Chocolate Store, whose decor looks patterend after "It's a Small World" in Disneyland! The chocolates were yummy and my employees were so happy when I brought out the little red bag today! I also stumbled into Norstrom's, to get a little relief from the cold, rainy, windy weather and ended up spending a fortune (to me anyway) in the hand bag section of Norstrom's! (New Tumi bag for my laptop, beautiful black Nannini handbag and a Hobo wallet!) I left shortly thereafter because knew I was weak and would've even done more damage in the shoe department!

Went back to the hotel to try out their Dragonfish Cafe' for breakfast and it was wonderful. Tasty coffee, a perfectly prepared ham and cheese omelette with sourdough toast and hashbrowns. I asked if they had salsa for my eggs and they did not but my waiter offered some kind of a chili sauce... apparently Japanese, that was incredible! (Started with an S and had a real bite to it!) I was very happy with the whole experience at the Paramount and after experiencing breakfast and seeing their dinner menu, I'm sorry I wasn't able to stay another night!

My room was $145.00 and with breakfast, parking and tax, my bill was just under $200.00. I would definately stay their again.

I now see why so many of you love Portland... I'll be happy to go back anytime.

The rental return at Avis was painless and the flight back to Santa Barbara was on time.

Great trip, great city. I'm happy to answer if anyone has specific questions.

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the typo's, I'm tired. I shopped at Nordstrom's and would stay there (at the Paramount) again!
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:12 PM

I'm glad you had a good time in Portland. And although I know you were tired, I think I should correct another typo: the Paramount is at SW 9th and Taylor, not 4th and Taylor. (There was recently another thread about hotel locations in Portland - wouldn't want to confuse anyone!)

Andrew
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm. I'll have to look at the map. I could have sworn it was at 4th and Taylor. (I drove there myself and walked around too.) Have you actually been there Andrew, or are you just believing the other thread? Maybe I am right and the other thread was incorrect? Hah! Now you've got me wondering!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:42 AM

Thank you so much for the report! I miss Portland!
I believe Nordstroms and Pioneer Place are around 4th and the Paramount is closer to 9th ..
I know what you mean about Nordstroms and I really look forward to another trip to Portland for the excellent shopping!
Scarlett
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Too bad about the weather. After a winter of very low precipitation, we've certainly had our share the past few weeks. Nordstrom's is on Broadway, which if it were a numbered street, would be 7th. You planned to have dinner at Higgin's didn't you, moneygirl? How was it?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Great report, moneygirl! I love the Nordstrom's there. I purchased a really cool blush colored Perlina wallet there last trip. And always stock up on the Evian spritzers, also!

My husband and daughter have some business in Portland in a couple of weeks and get to fly there for the day, lucky ones! Where did you eat? ***kim***
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Moneygirl, check out this map at the Paramount's website:

http://www.portlandparamount.com/med...p-portland.pdf

The hotel is at SW Taylor and 9th or Park Ave (Park is actually two streets on each side of the park blocks and one of the "Park Avenues" turns into 9th right at Taylor). Nordstrom is on Broadway. Pioneer Place I is down between 4th and 5th.

Andrew