Scarlett in Portland? Land's sakes!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Miz Scarlett, I was shocked to see in that interesting vertical post that you and the Yankee are migrating to Portland. You've hinted at doing that...

I understood why later this afternoon when I read that Portland ranks as one of the 10 most depressing cities in the U.S. Some magazine came to this conclusion by matching the consumption of antidepressants per capita.

It all makes sense: Miz Scarlett read the same report and decided to go to the rescue, cheering up the northwest....

Will you continue to be Scarlett, even though the antebellum scenery is far, far away?

Hope this works out well for you. Thanks to you, Beachbum and all the other Portland fans, we're pumped about our July trip and, I promise, we'll do all we can to make the merchants happier.

Jim
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM

We're gonna miss Miz Scarlett down hear (actually he-ah) in Dixie...

It's hard to imagine that only a year ago she was a New Yawka.

She WILL bring sunshine to Portland.

I heard that same report this morning on the radio. Several Florida cities were at top of the "Worst" list!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
She told me Massachusetts, a maybe.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
P_M

Scarlett, why not move to Austin instead? I think your pup and mine would soon become best pals.

((&)) ((&))

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:00 PM

Oh Jim, you are too kind
Y
e
s
!
!
We are moving to Portland Beeg happy grin here!
We were going to move back up North, but after much research and talking to those Who Know, figuring out what we want to be when we grow up, that sort of thing, we decided that we want to live in a city. And having fallen in love with Portland, we decided to give it a whirl!
The realtor says our house should sell fast. Fingers crossed! Give us the time it takes to pack up the Pup and my handbags and we are off!
Hopefully, we will arrive in Portland before Hurricane season hits. I would like to leave Florida with the memory of a nice garden full of flowers and no boards on my windows
I saw that Depressing article on MSN. At least Portland was the last one on the list! I will do my best to cheer up anyone who needs it
I am so excited!
T
h
a
n
k

y
o
u
!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
OO

You might need a new moniker, Scarlett! What would a PNW girl call herself? Shall we have a contest?

I am excited for you..when can we come visit.

Don't worry too much about that list. I saw it and the Texas cities that were listed as the "happiest" (wasn't El Paso one of the best) whereas St Pete was one of the top 3 for depression??? Give me a break! If I was as happy living there as I was, I guess I'm gonna be manic living here?? LOL
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Well if it means anything, Scarlett, I knew more people in Seattle on antidepressants than here, lol! Just think of the fun we can have
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:36 PM

Does this mean the Berskshires are off for this summer?

We didn't meet in Florida -- maybe in Portland this summer?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:01 PM

About that happiest/depression list, Sacramento and area was in the top ten of happiest. I thought to myself, really?

Well our dear Scarlett knows that I love Portland. A great move I believe. But she will have to be careful, the Norstrom's shoe department is dangerous!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Oh sigh, of course I meant Nordstrom. The edit button is there for a reason but I never claimed to be the world's best typist.

Anyway, Portland's happiness factor will go way up when Scarlett and family arrive!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Have no fear. You'll love it in the Northwest. And besides, you'll still be down south in Portland. Seattle is up nawth, and Vancouver BC is way up nawth.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Congrats, Scarlett! I hope you find that home is waiting for you in Portland.

Can someone please give me a link to this msn article? My curiosity is peaked...
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Articles like this continue to pique the public's interest - and continue to increase circulation.
Great marketing tool.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:56 AM

Scarlett, come and see us in Victoria! You won't be all that far away. My daughter in Pasadena says it's even easy for them to come up from California for a weekend.
I sense the makings of a Pacific Northwest GTG here, eventually.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM

When is the housewarming party aka Fodorites' GTG?
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM

That so-called study is downright bogus. I mean, it has Jersey City as one of the "happiest cities." Jersey City!??!? Maybe because it has so many immigrants without good (or any) health insurance, they can't get the antidepressants they might need. I lived in J. City for 6 months and left because living there was...depressing.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:28 AM

You guys are killing me--how can I find this study? I don't see it on the msn homepage.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:36 AM

its really a ficticious report originated by a bunch of Portlanders and meant to scare people away from this beautiful city in an effort not to have it over run
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Uh oh, busted! It's really the "Californicators" we're trying to keep out, but sometimes it backfires!! Scarlett's welcome anytime. I would echo Jocelyn's sentiments; I hope you find a home here, Scarlett.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Hi!!
There is a Beeg For Sale sign on my lawn.
A neighbor has already come to comment on it and get whatever information she could "share"
We have a realtor in Portland looking and we have friends helping me, at least answering a zillion "Where is this?" questions (with great patience, I might add)...
The realtor says the house will go fast,(it's that garden, I tell ya!)so I think (hope) that we will be on our way to Portland within 2-3 months.
The only part of this that is sort of daunting is the Drive. We are taking the advice of darlin mms and driving the Northern route..I will finally get to see Ogden Utah and Chattanooga (LOL)..and maybe that giant steel cow somewhere?
Thank you all for the good wishes, we are very excited..Pup is already thinking of which toys to bring with him in the car, his mama is making lists and lists and .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -