Search

Midtown or Lower NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midtown or Lower NYC

Hi all,
Have read many of the posts for NYC but hoping for someone more decisive than me not to give me options...just tell me what to do
We will be in NYC from August 13 to 18 with teen boys 19 and 16 and have looked at a suite hotel right at Times Square but there is an exc. option in Lower Manhattan that is $1400 AUD cheaper for the stay. This makes the most of our budget and is the most sensible but this is the only time with our sons and I am worried about making the wrong choice and being too far out of the centre. This will seem a silly question but with only 4 days can you please tell me if you consider we will feel a part of NYC and readily accessible to everything if we are not right in the middle of the city.

We want to go to a NY Yankees game on Monday August 16 at 7.30pm but when I went to book tickets online on the NYC tourist site the choices are huge and I have read that there are seats you need to avoid because of building obstructions etc. Hoping to keep the cost to about $80 USD each and would appreciate any assistance with which seats to choose and any tips green tourists need on getting to the stadium, getting home etc. and any ettiquettes.

Other than all the obvious tourist things to do in NYC I would love to hear if you have any 'local' tips for slightly well known things to do.

I have learnt a lot from other posts so thank you all...just need to learn to make a decision and stick to it!! Thank you all. JoMaree
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:17 AM

I really don't think you will feel "being too far out of the center" in lower Manhattan and that certainly seems like a good savings, not that I would know for sure since I don't use AUDs. Not everything is located near Times Square to begin with. There are people who actually live in Lower Manhattan. Have you looked at a map?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:41 AM

We just got back from 4 days(I did post a brief trip report if you want to seewhat we did in 4 days) We stayed at the Affinia Gardens on East 64th. Close to a couple of different subway stops so you can move around fairly easily. I did purchase City Passes in advance, you may want to check those out at citypass.com I would be happy to try and answer any sepcific questions you have.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM

99% of what most visitors do are between Battery Park and 86th Street.

If you stay downtown you will be closer to some things and more distant from others which is the same as staying in Tines Square. I would sane the money and stay downtown.

And if you eat in residental areas instead of Times Square, there is a better selection and many cheaper places.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh Thank you!

Aduchamp1..that is what I needed. I have had my finger on the book button several times but it is a big decision.

vjpblovesitaly ... $1800 US as opposed to $2800 US so happily off to book now. Did indeed look at a map but after a while it all becomes a muddle..and then read that it was a one hour walk from Lower Manhattan to Time Square so better to ask than be disappointed. Many thanks to you all.

January89 I will look up the citypass. Thanks.

Hoping someone may be able to help me with the Yankees question. Cheers JoMaree
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:42 AM

Yankee tickets should be bought from the site - yankees.com - which will list all available tickets and who you a seating chart of the stadium - as well as what the view from those seats will look like. For $80 you may be able to get in the main seats (2nd level) but it doesn;t look like they hae 4 seats together. You should go online and buy them now - since those not sold go to other vendors who charge higher prices for the same seats. If at all possible do NOT buy tickets in the thrid tier since you can see little without binocs. Definitely buy a program - and learn a little about the game before you go - if you don;t know already.

Things you should know:

Security is very tight - so no large bags or backpacks and purses will likely be searched
You can't bring alcohol into the stadium
Get there no later than 5:30, preferably earlier, to be able to see Monument Park (which closes 45 minutes before game) and some of batting practice
Take the subway there and back - with many thousans of others
Go to yankees.com for tons more info

Look for the tophies and championship flags - the Yankees have won 27 Workd Series (out of less than 100 total) and more than 40 American League championships. Have domiated baseball for much of it's history - and the current team, though not playing up to potential due to injuries, has some of the greatest players in the game (now or ever). If you're lucky you'll get to see Mariano Rivera - the best closer of all time.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You won't walk from lower Manhattan to Times Square, you'll take the subway or a bus. Lower Manhattan includes many different and interesting neighborhoods; a much better choice than Times Square.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:06 AM

If you haven't already booked this, there are a LOT of suite hotel options as well as rooms with 2 queen beds that are probably less expensive than the Times Square option and perhaps more central than lower Manhattan (I'm assuming you're talking about the Doubletree Suites in TS and the Embassy Suites downtown). The Affinia.com group have 7 suite hotels. The San Carlos is a lovely midtown hotel with rooms with 2 queen beds. Closer to Yankee stadium Milburnhotel.com, Beaconhotel.com and the Lucerne hotel are other options.

Hopstop.com
maps.google.com
will help you with directions and using public transportation. You should plan on getting a 7 day unlimited metrocard for each of you.

Some other ideas:
accomplicenewyork.com is a fun thing to do that's part scavenger hunt, part tour, part performance.

nywaterway.com
shearwatersailing.com
sail-nyc.com
nywatertaxi.com
offer fun cruises that are more interesting than the standard Circle Line tours.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM

jomaree18, having lived in New York for years, I've never completely understood why many tourists stay near Times Square. It's true that it puts you within walking distance of many interesting neighborhoods, but the touristy commotion around there is so intense that I couldn't see myself wanting to sleep there. There's plenty to see downtown. And it's not hard to get up to midtown -- with the money you're saving, you could take taxis without feeling guilty about splurging! Although the subways are faster when there's traffic.

So I agree that you should probably stay downtown. But can you give us an idea of exactly what neighborhood the downtown choice is in?

Are there any other special interests that you and the boys have? Art? Music? History? Food?
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Basically the subway lines runs north/south in Manhattan. There are a few lines that run east/west but they are the exception.

Because of this, travelling will easy to figure out.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

What a wonderful bunch of mates you are!

I have just booked the Embassy Suites and a weight has been lifted. Hope I can handle that subway HappyTrvlr

My husband and sons 19 and 16 are all new solo pilots so they tend to spend a lot of time looking up and the 16 yr old cannot wait to see the Hudson that became a landing strip. Oshkosh is the first part of our grand plan along with Brad Paisley and Alan Jackson so very happy already. They love planes, car racing, they race go karts, water ski and love the water so I think near the river will be perfect and mclaurie's ideas superb.

nytraveler - thank you for the Yankee tips. I will study all carefully and follow your advice.

hawksbill - I cannot tell you how pleased I am to hear your comments. We do of course want to see the touristy bits but for us the greatest pleasure is in the people we meet and talk to. This is our second trip (3 yrs ago we did the West Coast) and some of the people we met will be with us always. Those are the experiences I am hoping for.

Just realised this is one of those experiences. Thank you all so very much for taking the time.

Cheers JoMaree
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Wow, three pilots in the family! Very impressive -- the boys must have learned to fly before they could learn to drive! I guess you're going to Oshkosh for the big air museum there? For your NY visit, you may want to consider the Intrepid Air and Space Museum: http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/ It's an old American aircraft carrier that served in the Pacific in World War II, and remained in service through the Vietnam War. Now it's permanently docked in the Hudson River, and it has been converted into a museum, with a wide variety of military and civilian aircraft.

I'm not sure what you meant by the part of the Hudson that became a landing strip. There's an abandoned military airfield on Governor's Island, in New York Harbor, but I don't know if it's possible to visit. Aviation-wise, I know it's possible to take helicopter tours of Manhattan, although I've never done it.

The Embassy Suites is way down at the bottom of Manhattan, very close to the World Trade Center site. It's a bit out of the way, but I definitely think it's worth saving all that money to stay there. You'll be able to walk to several interesting neighborhoods: the financial district, Chinatown, SoHo (formerly known for art galleries, but now known for shopping, which may interest your sons), and, if you don't mind a long walk, the various parts of Greenwich Village and the Union Square area, which are fun for walking in. I like to walk in Battery Park, too. You'll need to take a taxi, subway, or bus to other places, but it won't be a problem.

Your neighborhood will get kind of quiet at night. In general, most parts of New York are quite safe, but it's good to avoid streets or subway cars that are totally empty. I think, if you're returning to your hotel at night, you should probably take a taxi. Depending on their tolerance for griminess, a lot of tourists prefer to take taxis rather than subways in New York anyway. When you leave Yankee Stadium at 10:30 or 11 PM, you'll want to take a subway, because it'll be basically the only way to get out. The train will be mobbed at first, but it might get pretty empty near the end of the route. I've never been to Yankee Stadium (Mets fan), but I'd be inclined to take the 4 train and get off at Union Square, or maybe even 59th street if things are really emptying out, and then take a taxi from there. Here's a subway map: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

You'll be within a long walk of a New York food icon: Katz's deli: http://www.katzdeli.com/ You may remember it from a scene in "When Harry Met Sally" that you probably don't feel comfortable discussing with your kids... try a pastrami sandwich (one's big enough for two people). Be sure to drop a dollar in the guy's tip jar when you place your order. And note that their payment system is unusual: you take a ticket when you enter, and then it gets stamped as you order each food item. When you leave, you pay a person at the door who takes your ticket.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM

JoMaree, Welcome to NYC. I know you are going to have a great time while you are here.

For your boys a MUST SEE will be the USS Intrepid, right on the Hudson River, a WWII carrier now a museum. There are all kinds of planes on display including the SR71 Blackhawk and a Concorde both supersonic planes. There was also some talk of a space shuttle coming when they go out of service, so you'll have to come back for another visit.

There is so much to see and do here, that 4 days will just start to scratch the suface. I'd suggest getting some books on the city so everyone will get a chance to see what is most interesting.

I saw you made a reservation at Affinia, I was going to suggest the Travel Inn as a good option since the hotel is not far from Times Square, had good rates AND HAS A POOL, which would be most welcome in August heat. There are actually quite a few public pools in the city, so if the guys need a dip, we can point you in the right direction, of if you want a day at the beach, there's Coney Island, or even Jones Beach, easily reachable on the train.

Hope this helps a bit and enjoy your time here.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 01:05 PM

I just noticed a few other related threads:

Katz's Deli: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ent-museum.cfm (my opinion: most stuff there isn't so special, but the pastrami is always great, and you can go over to nearby Russ and Daughters for other deli-type stuff, rather than schlepping all the way to Second Avenue Deli)

Tips on taking NY subways: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...y-168800-2.cfm
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM

The part of t he Hudson where the airliner landed is noting special - and you will have trouble identifying it. You should understand that the Hudson is VERY busy - with cruise ships, private boats, innumerable tour boats, a lot of ferries that people use to commute to work from Jersey - as well as naval ships i any part of the fleet is in. (But fleet week - when a large number of ships are in is Memorial day - end of May - and the town is flooded with cute little sailoss for a week.)

Don;t miss a ride on the free Staten Island ferry -crossing the edge of the harbor from South ferry in Manhattan to SI and back. Gives a decent view of SoL and a great view of the Manhattan skyline on the way back. They run every 15 or 20 minutes 24/7 are are nice to do at night to see all of the lights. (The RT takes a little more than an hour.)
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM

I've stayed at the Embassy Suites twice in the last year - Aug 2009 and May 2010. It's a wonderful hotel - clean, spacious, friendly staff and the breakfast is good. I loved being across the street from the Hudson, walking/sitting on the promenade is a great way to end a busy day in the city. Your sons will probably find the yachts that moor there rather impressive.

The World Financial Center is next door, with lots of restaurants (www.worldfinancialcenter.com). Stone Street is within walking distance also. Stone St is a cobblestoned street lined with restaurants, with picnic tables lined up down the middle of the street. Some of the restaurants include Adrienne's Pizza Bar, Ulysses, The Stone Street Tavern, Mad Dog & Beans, Subway, etc. (http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/...old_34205.aspx). Be aware that there are two Stone Streets in the area, the one you want is between S. Williams and Pearl St.

This website (www.downtownny.com) has a lot of information about the area including a free map, free restaurant guide, information on a free shuttle bus and free summer concerts.

I'd also suggest that you go into Federal Hall (http://www.nps.gov/feha/index.htm) if you go to Wall St. and into the Customs House (http://www.oldnycustomhouse.gov/)by Bowling Green which now houses the Smithsonian American Indian museum. It's free entrance to both and the insides of the buildings are really worth seeing.

Regarding the Yankees - we usually get our tickets on Stubhub.com. The bleachers have restricted views due to the Mohegan Sun Sports Bar. We usually sit in the terrace level and have always had a good view. If you go to a day game try to get tickets on the 1st base side as this side sits in the shade. Specifically from section 309 towards home plate. We sat in section 311 on Memorial Day Weekend and rows 5 & up were in the shade the entire game, rows 1-4 got shaded about an hour or so into the game. We've sat in the summer sun on the 3rd base side, trust me you'll enjoy the game more in the shade! Take a look at the seating guide on Yankees.com. You can click on the sections to see what your view from the seats would look like.

You can take a free water taxi to the Stadium (http://www.nywatertaxi.com/baseball-ferry/) from Pier 11 downtown. It's a great way to get to the game. No need to rush to the top of the boat, as most people will do. Take a seat inside on the lower level, when the boat leaves the dock they will open the doors and allow everyone to stand outside on the bow of the boat. It's only a one-way ride though, you have to take the subway back after the game.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

How do I thank you all? I have been working until 2 and 3am for the last two weeks to try and get ready and to be honest my excitement was waning but you have all given me such a lift and I cannot wait..

Yes Hawksbill, my 16yo had his first solo flight on his 15th birthday and only yesterday I had the honour of becoming his first official passenger, other than his instructor - but he still has 6 months to go before he can legally drive a car solo!.. They have been reading everyone's posts and are excited at all the awesome suggestions given.

I hope you ALL will accept my personal thank you..there is not one post that I have not taken something from.

JoMaree
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM

I think you made a good choice. Lower Manhattan is a wonderful part of the city and has a lot of historic sights and plenty of places to eat. Times Square is tacky and touristy, altho' I'm sure you'll want to see it.

I agree that your boys will probably enjoy the Intrepid. And it is just south of where the "Miracle on the Hudson" took place, so you'll kill two birds with one stone.

Do take a free SI Ferry ride, and a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge at sunset provides beautiful views. Enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 01:48 PM

"whereto" posted information I was about to... regarding the ferry to Yankee Stadium. I live on the East River and see the ferries going back and forth when the Yankees are at home. I think that might be a more enjoyable trip than the packed subway... tho each is an experience -
Also, it would give you a view of the East Side from the water.... sort of like half of a Circle Line complete tour.