Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

midsize sedan vs midsize station wagon in Tuscany ?

Notices

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of four planning to take the train to Florence and pick up our car at the station. Our choice is Midsize sedan ( fiat Croma OR similar) -17 cu ft luggage space... or midsize station wagon ( reneault Laguna OR similar)- more than 17 cu ft luggage space but also more money... is it worth it?
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:11 AM

I would not like a wagon where your "stuff" is more visible, I think a trunk is safer.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:01 AM
J62

I would not like to try to fit all your stuff into the trunk of a sedan, especially if you have suitcases that are fixed shape & size. A wagon will give you a lot more flexibility. A combination of suitcases and duffel bags is much easier to pack into a car. The wagon will have a privacy shield to cover the cargo area, and I presume you'll not be keeping all your luggage in the car every day, but just to and from your accommodations.

If you have doubts then try renting a similar sized sedan at home and seeing how much (or little) you can actually fit in the trunk.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 06:45 AM

Prefer a smaller vehicle when driving around Italy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 07:41 AM
J62

A mid sized wagon and wagon and sedan will be the same basic vehicle, so no difference driving or parking.

Key question would be how far do you plan to drive with a car full of luggage. If it's just 1-2hrs once each at the start and end of the trip then you could probably be ok with a suitcase in between back seat passengers when you find you can't fit it all in the trunk. (unless you need to ensure room for kid car seats or large teenagers)

If you'll be doing this daily then I'm suggesting you'll be happy you paid more for more storage space.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:08 AM

If you are going to be stopping any place with lugage in the car doNOT get a station wagon. In Europe = or anyplace else for that matter - you should never leave anything visable in a car and expect it to be there when you return.

Amd agree - if you tell us how much luggage/what size you are taking people can make recos. Euros sizes in cars are smaller than in the US and if you each have a 24/26" bag plus a carry-on there is no way it will fit in either of those cars.

Also do ralize there is no guarantee of getting any specific car - you will have to take one they have. (That's why we always try to pick up at an airport or the larggest in city location - so we don;t get stuck with something tht just won't work.)
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM

I'd go with the convenience of the wagon, unless you will be doing lots of touring with all of your luggage in tow. It will be more comfortable for those in the back seat and the cover will conceal whatever you travel with on your day trips.

That said, it really doesn't matter because the car break in industry no longer needs to do a smash a window and run. The technology to break into automatic locking and ignition systems is growing. A friend of mine stopped in Rome for an hour on the way home. The rental car on the street was electronically opened and all their luggage and purchasers taken. They had no idea until they arrived at the airport and the trunk was empty.

What a comment about preferring a small car with 4 passengers and luggage has to do with this thread is beyond my comprehension.

Good luck!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM

Why is this posted in the US forum?
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM

[Cause, truthfully, it really doesn't need to be on Europe board.]
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM

If you are going to be stopping any place with lugage in the car doNOT get a station wagon. In Europe = or anyplace else for that matter - you should never leave anything visable in a car and expect it to be there when you return.>>

lol, nyt, how do you expect those of us who live in Europe to manage if we don't leave things in our cars occasionally?

I have what you call a "station wagon" [estate car in the UK] and because of work i have to drive and leave it loads of places. but i do take some precautions of course - all luggage [i sometimes have to stay away from home] out of sight in the boot/trunk, no sign of the GPS or that I've got one, no maps left around, no valuables in sight, etc, etc,

I also try to ensure that once I've put everything away in the boot, I am able to park it hard up against a wall or a tree so that the rear door cannot be opened from the outside. it's not perfect, but it should deter all but the most determined.

and then I lock the car!
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM

If one has actually driven in Italy - you would understand why a small car is preferable - and if from one hotel to another - you have to have luggage between people in the back seat - it's a small price to pay for being able to easily get around/park in a more compact vehicle.

When we were in Lago Como - this big guy (I am good size - but he was 6'6") complained about driving around in his rental van - and the crazy Eye-Talians (he was a nice guy but had a bit of a deep Texas accent) - and I told him - I got around just fine in a small fiat - and I was probably guilty of driving like a crazy Italian.

Same for driving in other parts of southern Europe. The smaller the car the better - assuming it can accommodate your party.

And yes, do not leave luggage in your car - period.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM

We have driven medium to full size vehicles in Italy - and in feact over much of europe - and havne;t had problems either driving or parking. (Granted overnight we park in either a hotel parking lot or a garage) - but if you are used to driving in close quarters and parallel parking - on eihter side - in spaces barely larger than the car - this isn;t really a problem.

Caveat: we drive and park in NYC - where spaces tend to be much smaller. Also we always fold our mirros in whereer we park.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM

If one has actually driven in the back seat of a compact car in Italy filled to the gills with luggage and 3 other people. . . .
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 04:54 PM

Oh, I remember a girl-friends get-away from about 15 years ago. There were five of us in a Honda Civic. Even packing light we still had stuff everywhere inside with us. Someone suggested stopping at a craft market on the way home, and I was thinking I can't buy anything larger than the size of a postage stamp. It was a great time, but a larger car would have been nice. Five adult women in a Civic is more than a bit crowded.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM

Have driven in an alleyway in Aix- Provence - where it was so narrow - the rear view mirrors were scraping - but had to get to the 2 star/Michelin restaurant in time.

If you are on the big roads - no problemo - but if you get off them - which you really should to experience the real essence of any country - pleez tell me how you fared.