Full Sized Car or Van

Search

Full Sized Car or Van

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full Sized Car or Van

We need to rent a vehicle for our trip in Scotland. We will be on many single track roads and will have several ferry trips. Our friends are worried that there won't be enough room in the full sized car (VW Passat) for all the luggage. They are suggesting a manual van. We will be in mountainous terrain as well. For a few more pounds we can rent the van.. but do you think we will be able to navigate as well?? We've had a manual transmission before,but it does take some getting used to.. especially since it is on the other side that we are used to.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 06:32 PM

How many people will be traveling together? Four of us traveled to Germany and we rented an intermediate station wagon (Ford Mondeo). There was plenty of room for 4 adults but just enough space for four 22" suitcases. Not all full size cars have large trunks. Normally, the car rental companies websites can give you an idea of how many large/small suitcases and adults a car will hold. My personal opinion is to avoid a van if possible. I think it will be harder to navigate on the smaller roads and in some towns.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
mjs

We too have rented a Ford Mondeo Station Wagon and it just fit four of us with 2 22 inch suitcases, 1 24 inch suitcase , and a medium garment bag plus 4 carryons. If there are more people than 4 or if you pack heavy you will need a van. I do not think a Passat has much of a trunk.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
An estate (station wagon) will be easier to navigate in some of the places you are going. But in some areas you will even see full sized 45+ passenger buses on those single track roads. So a mini van isn't impossible.

But how many are you and how much luggage are you taking? Even a minivan won't hold masses of luggage.

If four or fewer adults - and you pack light - a midsized sedan or an estate should be enough.
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 03:56 AM
ira

Hi S,

With 4 adults and a lot of luggage, you might want to consider 2 smaller cars.

Easier to park, easier to navigate, allows more flexibility.

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:17 AM

no one can say what you should do without knowing how many people, how much luggage, what kind of van etc.

car websites will generally give good graphical descriptions of storage capacity. if you can't fit your stuff into the passat then there is no use considering it as an option. check the capacities of each option before you worry about which one is better to drive in the mountains, etc.

also, many vans are about the same size as a large car.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:44 AM

can any of you that replied tell me the best place to rent a car,,,, flying into Manchester in May and I was told if I want to be fully insured it will cost me $55 a day just for insurance! is that correct? will our American insurance cover anything? generally, if you know of a car hire company that is reasonable but safe please please let me know email me at [email protected]
PS Are there reasonable drivers to hire? I will be visiting my Dad near Matlock but may not be up to doing alot of driving so thinking of renting a car.

Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd try Autoeurope.com first and then comparison shop. Autoeurope is a broker that gets good rates from lots of different rental agancies. Your US credit card <i>should</i> cover your insurance if you decline all other insurance. But be sure to check w/ the credit card company before you book anything.