Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fellow Fodorites! need help with last-minute Sicily

Mar 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Chiara here. We are planning a May trip to Sicily in our usual procrastinating style!

Luckily, we will have almost two weeks. I was hoping my fellow Fodorites could comment on nights spent in each location -
enough, too little? best places to stay/eat, and driving times (and levels of scariness!) in between destinations.

Whoa! That's asking a lot from all of you .
Any help would be much appreciated.
*Already have Bob the Navigator's hotel choice for Palermo.

From Rome, arrive Palermo (2 nights)
Erice (1 night?)
Marsala (or can we visit it on way to next stop ?) (1 night?)
Agrigento (1-2 nights?)
>see Piazza Armerina & Ragusa en route to
Noto (1-2 nights?)
Siracusa (2 nights?)
Taormina (3-4 nights?)

**Probably will need to stay in Catania or Rome last night.

Thanks, in advance. Happy to be back in the groove.
Chiara
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:08 PM

For Agrigento, have a sunset view of the monuments:

Camere Con Vista

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-sicilia...67&p=agrigento

I would give far more time to the Noto/Ragusa/Siracusa area and less time to Taormina.

Eat at the seafood restaurant down the road.
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Ooops. My recommendation for seafood down the road is for the Camera con Vista in Agrigento. They serve pizza too.

Mar 30th, 2006, 12:30 PM

And I would leave out Erice, a tiny medieval village perched at the top of a winding mountain road, with the slipperiest cobblestones known to man and with nothing to recommend it except the pastry shop of Maria Grammatico, as well as Marsala, which, to my mind, has absolutely no redeeming feature whatever. Instead, I would go to Segesta and Selinunte.

For an unbelievably good seafood meal, one of the restaurants over the water in Marinella di Selinunte (if only I could remember the name...) or, at a considerably higher price, Da Vittorio in Porto Palo.
Mar 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM

Eloise: You are right about skipping Erice. Anyone who has visited any of the hilltowns in Tuscany or Umbria will wonder what all the fuss is about. The road up to the town is so narrow and windy that it pretty much guarantees that you won't want to return after dark. And the town, itself, is pretty much dead at night. So you're a prisoner there.
Rather that spend a night in Erice and a night in Marsala, consider spending two nights in Selinunte; or if you want to really get away, a day and night in Favignana, and a night in Sciacca.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the above-mentioned advice.
We have now changed our time for a visit to Sicily to one that includes more of our family. But this recent surge of research has given me much to work with for when we finally decide when to travel.

Since I didn't mention all stops/visits we had in mind, for ex., of course we would include Segesta after Palermo, and Trapani (maybe Favignana!) before heading south to Selinunte and Agrigento. The overnight suggestions sound interesting. I still would like to visit Erice, but maybe not the overnight stay.
To Eloise and rbrazil ~ skip Erice entirely? Yes, we've been to many Tuscan/Umbrian hilltowns, and Amalfi coast towns and Cinque. You're saying
we've visited wonderful hilltowns already, right?
Please elaborate on Sciacca for possile overnight and - any remarks on Scicli?
I found the thread about Syracusa vs. Taormina valuable and also a few trip reports that have lots of good advice.
Thanks again.
Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM

I'm sorry I was unable to visit Scicli when I was in Sicily. Not only did I enjoy all the "baroque" towns that I did visit (Ragusa, Noto, Modica) but I stayed in a B&B in Modica that was decorated with extremely beautiful modern artworks that I was told were done by an artist in Scicli. When I inquired further, I was told that Scicli has attracted a number of fine Sicilian artists, most of whom do contemporary art. One of the things I enjoy while traveling is to see contemporary culture, and in that wealthy part of Sicilia, the culture is very sophisticated.