michigan trip report

Search

michigan trip report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
michigan trip report

thanks to all who responded re driving conditions to michigan. got back yesterday from a great vacation, planned (as usual) by researching fodors threads. every vacation is near perfect because of all the great advice on this site. thanks for the info re drive, michelinda lodge in whitehall (great, great view - perfect for families and couples), secret beach info outside sleeping bear dunes, etc, etc. Loved union pier, saugatuck, lundington, leland (great place to stay in leland - Whale Back Inn). I wish i had paid attention to advice on this thread and completely skipped mackinaw city/island but i guess it is okay to experience once. Loved the rest of the trip though, will be back to Michigan - clear water, 80 degree temps, crystal skies, I miss it already.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:37 PM
cd

Why did you not like Mackinaw Island? I love biking and walking the island! What was wrong?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:15 AM

what was wrong? My guess: too many "fudgies".
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 08:41 AM

Could be. This past 2 weeks would be the busiest of the season.

Keith
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

i am not quite sure - a little too commercialized coming off towns like union pier, saugatuck, leland. water not as clear, mackinaw city and mackinaw island very crowded. lodging more expensive and accomodations nothing compared to those stayed at earlier in the week. by the way, stayed at Boulevard Inn in St. Joseph, Michigan, very nice and Snyder's Shoreline Inn in Lundington, also very nice. didn't hate Mackinaw but compared to other stops not completely thrilled.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I love Union Pier and the whole Harbor Country area-try to plan your next trip for fall when the colors are absolutely gorgeous! We visited Mackinaw Island in October a few years back and wouldn't go back at any other time. All the other tourists were gone and we had the place to ourselves. Too cold for swimming but the trees were in perfect color. Plus a $300 room at the Iroquois was $75!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:40 AM

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you'll give away the secret us "locals" wanna keep to ourselves! Mackinaw Island in October on a 70 degree, sunny day, is pure heaven on earth! Especially on a bike!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:58 AM

Sorry Dujkmat, Didn't mean to let the cat out of the bag!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:35 AM

July and August are the worst months IMO to visit Mackinaw. I agree with Fall being the best time to go and usually the weather is nice, warm days, cool nights.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Although the 4th of July weekend is crowded, it then drops back off for a couple of weeks. Also, late August (particularly once the schools start opening) drops off except for the big spike on the Labor Day weekend.

The most crowded is a build up in the latter half of July until the most people are there the first two weeks of August.

If Detroit and Chicago happen to be unusually hot, it gets more crowded.

On a hot summer day, Mackinaw City & Mackinc Island may be 10 degrees cooler than even the nearby area. I have driven out of town to the south and just beyond the city limits, suddenly had my windows all fog, as the warmer, more humind air hits the car windows.

Keith