Michelangelo Hotel in NYC

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelangelo Hotel in NYC

Has anyone stayed at the Michelangelo? What is it like? What should you wear there?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Check out tripadvisor.com. It gets generally good reviews. No need to wear anything different than you would in any other hotel. (Or did you mean what to wear in New York?)

They'll let you into the hotel as long a you're wearing something. As to how you will feel comfortable. In NYC adults typically don;t typically dress for the beach - unless that's where they're going. For adults no cut off jeans, giant white clown shoes and tee shirts with tweety bird on the front - esp if they plan on going to the theater or a decent restaurant. (No one is suggesting suit and tie or dress with matching pump - but you should wear something better than you would in an Orlando theme park - or for cleaning out the garage.)

Tailored shorts are OK - with polo shirt or decently covered top for women (please we don;t want to see any more midriffs or too much bosom of middle aged women). And make sure you have comfy walking shoes. (If you love flip flops fine - but realize your feet will be filthy in about an hour - esp if you're using the subway.)
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM

We stayed there about 2 years ago and it is my favorite place to stay in NYC. We took the train there and walked from Grand Central Station--very convenient location. We reserved the basic room with an internet special and think we must have been upgraded to a suite--although I believe at one time the hotel was an apartment building. Our room had a king bed , lovely bathroom and sitting area divided from the bedroom with a bookcase--no view but a lovely, large room.
At the time there was a complimentary continental breakfast. I remember they had cappucino.
They had an international staff that was very helpful and pleasant.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM
TC

We stayed there in January. Lovely hotel. Good location. Lobby breakfast is spare, but very tasty. Enjoyed late night drinks in the lobby bar. They are quite generous with upgrades -- we simply asked at check-in and were upgraded to a huge suite.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I stayed there 2 years ago, and loved it. Great location. The rooms are HUGE. I also was upgraded by just saying I'd like a room with a view.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 07:27 PM

We meet several couples there every January for the past 4 years - we have never been disappointed. Rooms immaculate, staff helpful, hotel holds the record for me in returning a pair of slacks that needed ironing (it was soo fast we were amazed) -
concierge is very knowledeable and internet access convenient next to check in desk - lovely lobby bar often with piano player- great robes and bathrooms too.

Wear what you would wear in any hotel -

we've also always rec'd an upgrade - it's our joke now that there really are no standard rooms here, they just pretend there are , so they tell you you are getting an upgrade and b/c of that special treatment you like them even better

Don't kno whow you are booking, but I've always rec'd the best rates direct thru their web page online, whether I book online or then call direct and they either match or do better than the online price.

if you put "Michelangelo Hotel, NYC" in to the search this forum bar, yuo will see tons of threads about this hotel
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

We booked at their website online as an 'internet deal.' How do you get an upgraded room? Do you have to pay extra for it, and do you just ask for it at the front at check in? We're staying on a Sunday night. It would be nice to have a suite...
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:02 AM
TC

You assign the task to your most personable member. Size up the front desk staff, looking for the least busy and most friendly looking person. Then with a big, friendly smile, you say something like, "This is our first stay at the Michelangelo, we've heard such lovely things about the hotel. I don't suppose there's a chance that we would be lucky enough for one of your generous upgraded rooms?" I've always found that this works best if there aren't twenty other people around all trying to check in at the same time. If the front desk is quite busy, just hang back a while until it calms down.

No there is no extra charge for an "upgrade". If it cost more, then its not truly an upgrade -- just a more expensive room.

Good luck.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

so how exactly is an upgraded room different from a standard room, i'm guessing they wouldn't upgrade you to a suite or anything...
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM

An upgraded room is a more expensive room than the one you booked, but you're not asked to pay the difference--that's what most people mean when they say "upgrade," which is really a free upgrade.

Depending on what kind of room you booked originally, and how full the hotel is, they may well upgrade you to a suite, it just depends.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
TC

In January, when we were upgraded, our room/suite was huge with a king bed, sofa, a large side chair and ottoman, coffee table, desk in the main room. There was a small entryway to the room with a big closet and a table. There was a seperate dressing area and then the huge bath. It was a corner room with windows all around looking out on the street scene. Yes, Trout, you could quite possibly have a suite. Surprise! Its like this -- if the rooms are empty anyway, why not put you in one and make you a happy (possible repeat) customer? Doesn't cost the hotel anything.