Miami - without a car - where?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Penny

Miami - without a car - where?

Where would you suggest that we visit in Miami without a car.
We will be based in South Beach for four days and would like to see as much of Miami as possible. I understand that there are lots of different ways of travelling round the city - buses and trains - anything else except expensive taxis? - boats?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Richard

First let me get this out of the way "Ha ha ho ho ha ha ha !"

You WILL NEED A CAR! if you want to see Miami. It is a big SPRAWLING city, and public transportation is for the poor soles who have no choice.

If you use the Metrorail at night and even some places during the day CARRY A GUN!

Essentially it is not a city for public transportation.

Depending on what you are coming for to Miami (partying, clubs dance) and how long, it could be very well that you could go to South Beach and be very happy the whole week.

If you are not familiar with the city, BE VERY CAREFUL especially at night. If you go into the wrong area at night, you could be dead.

No matter where you go, NEVER leave anything in the car. Put all your belonging in the trunk. Never read a map holding it up, in other words keep a low profile as a tourist.

Now I don't mean to worry you, it is not that bad, but it is one of those cities you just have to be a bit careful.

If you tell me what you like to do, I can give you some hints on where to go.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Penny

Hi Richard - it's me again.
By the way - souls is spelled souls.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:43 PM
DeeDee

Very nice Penny, Richard gives you awsome advice and you correct his spelling?

May I also suggest you not put anything in your trunk while others are watching. When you come back everything in your trunk will be gone.

The main purpose of a rental in Miami is to have a central place to have your belongings stolen from.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:54 PM
x

What gives, Helen, Margaret, Susan, Penny, etc. You've started at leat 6-7 threads all about coming to Miami from the UK. Why not ask all questions in one thread? And what's with the different names? And how about that obsession with tiny & tinyworld? Did you really think us dumb Americans wouldn't figure this out???

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:44 PM
rebecca

My suggestion is staying at South Beach, for most of time, where has most attraction such as beaches, museum etc. There is also trolley (you can check its routing).

From South Beach, you can take bus to downtown by a bus for visiting the Bayside Market and enjoy a sea crusie or boating. My suggestion is check the boating schedule. If I were you, have boating for one day or try to make boating in the morning. Then spend whole afternoon in the Marketplace for a lazy lunch and shopping. Then in the evening you can have more time to join the party there.

At downtown, there are terminal for bus and metro. Taking a bus there to visit Miami Seaquarium and Key Biscayne. Taking a metro there, to visit Villa Vizcaya and Miami Museum of Science and Space(remember to try the portrait machine - it's fun and inexpensive). There is a fix showing schedule at Miami Museume of Science and Space. As it locates just opposite the Villa Vizcaya, you can visit both places on one day. Also you can take a metro then walk about 15-30 min to visit Coconut Grove and visit The Barnalce. If I were you, visit the Barnacle in the morning then explore other part of Coconut Grove in the afternoon. But remember to check the opening schedule for the Barnacle, it will be closed for certain day. (FYI, from South Beach to Coconut Grove, it will cost you about $20 per ride)

If I were you, I might stay at Hotel Place St Michel for a few days which was chosen as the best for a Romantic Getaway. St Michel locates at Coral Gables area which is near Little Havana. So you are close to both region if you stays at St Michel and enjoyed the romatic atmosphere at the same time. Across the St Michel, there is a Spanish restaurant. I forgot the name but it may be easily found. It's not big but environment is great. Try their spicy soup. Yami Yami.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 07:13 PM
ab

The previous post may sound like exaggertions but it's not. Public transportation is very limited in Miami and usually for places you don't want to drive into. i.e. downtown or Jackson Memorial Hospital on the metro rail. I wouldn't take it at night unless you're at a big game and there's a big crowd. Even mid day is kinda spooky.

Cars do get broken into often (twice happened to me)

Hanging in South Beach, you don't need a car. If you get a cab or shuttle to the Grove, that's a good day and evening. Vizcaya is close to the Grove (not walking distace - another cab ride)

I wouldn't go downtown for anything.

I wouldn't take the bus either.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 07:49 PM
rebecca

If you have 4 days, as I do not know your interest, I may the arrangement according to my favor for your reference:

Day 1
Morning: stroll on the beach, visit Museum (Bass Museum of Art, Holocaust Memorial or The Wolfsonian), then have lunch in Lincoln Road Mall and Arts District area

Afternoon: The Barnacle and Coco Walk. Dinner at either Coco Walk or South Beach

Day 2
Villa Vizcaya + Miami Museum of Science and Space. Sunset and night life at South Beach

Day 3
Morning: Explore Key Biscayne

Afternoon: Bayside Market, shopping and walking around. Take sunset boating then afterwards, stay an hour for the party held at the Bayside Market. Dinner at South Beach Art Deco District

Day 4
Morning: Parrot Jungle & Garden or Miami Seaquarium

Afternoon: (if it is Monday to Friday), join the Deco Tours Miami Beach to the bldg, etc or explore Art Deco District by yourself.

Pls remember, some taxi ride not avioidable but worthwhile if you want to see all.

Relax and Enjoy!