Reload this Page >

Miami to Key West- Where to stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 08:06 AM
Gail

My husband and I will be traveling from Miami to Key West on thursday- We get in at 1:00. Where should we stop along the way for lunch? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Annie

Hungry Tarpon

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 08:48 AM
JoAnn

Green Turtle on US 1 in Islamorada.

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 05:40 AM
KathyH

Seven Mile Grill in Marathon, next to the Seven Mile Bridge. Great grilled fish sandwiches and cold beer.

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 06:40 AM
ME

nowhere, the trip is dull except for the occasional view. Save your appetite for Key West.

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Larry

Gail, if this is your first trip to the Keys, don't listen to the above poster, the trip is NOT dull, except for those who have done it several times. Further, several of the restaurants mentioned above, while having good food/value, don't offer wayer views. If you'd rather have your first meal in the Keys overlooking the water, I suggest Sundowners or the Quay on the Bayside (right side of the road) Key Largo. Check out the menus/prices on the way in, but the food is outstanding at both and both offer outside dining waterside. Enjoy your stay in the Keys!

Old Oct 17th, 2000, 07:24 AM
J T Kirk

I can never remember the names of restaurants, even though I have been to the Keys probably 50 times over the last 30 years. Anyway, I'd let your stomach dictate where you stop. I don't know when you normally eat lunch, but you said you won't be getting into Miami until 1:00. Drive time to Key West is a good 3 to 4 hours (depending on traffic and how many times you want to stop to admire the scenery.) So, I'd plan on stopping at Key Largo or Islamorada (which I happen to think is the prettiest key). There are many good restaurants along the way, and you can get a good lunch at most of them. I would try to pick a spot that has a great view. Nothing better than eating a good fish sandwich while sitting outside, admiring the view. Enjoy.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:10 AM
Beerman

Forget eating - stop off at the tiki hut at Islamorada and down a few cold ones while sitting on the waters edge...

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:42 AM
rob

Snappers is OK.....on tavernier...i think. its not on the main road but theres a sign on US1 (on the left) as your heading south....its easy to miss if your not looking hard enough. if you sit outside theres a nice view and theres a dozen or so giant, "pet" tarpon hanging out in the marina waiting for you to feed them.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:58 AM
A little late

Hey Rob and Beerman- way to be on time. Gail's trip to the keys has been over for almost 5 months.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 08:13 AM
Mike

Another vote for the Green Turtle.
It's a great place straight from the days before the Keys were "discovered".

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:30 AM
Ron

I know I'm to late also, but maybe Gail will look back at her posting & see all the good places to eat in the keys besides Key West & for her next trip down to tropical paradis! The 1st website listed has all the places to eat in the keys! Enjoy!

http://www.keysdining.com/

http://www.greenturtleinn.com/

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 10:34 AM
Steve

Another vote for the Hungry Tarpon. Killer blackened grouper sandwiches.

And, yes, the drive is surprisingly boring. My wife and I rented a convertible last year to do the drive, and aside from one stretch where all you can see is water, the trip was disappointing (execpt, of course, for the stop at the Hungry Tarpon.).

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 12:01 PM
Gail

Wow! I was surprised to see that again! We eventually stopped in Marathon- On another post I think Susan gave us some good advice- Anyway, it was outside with its own fish market- Quaffed quite a few cold ones, then cintinued on in our (ahem) luxurious convertible. Had a wonderful time in Key West- Thinking of going back this summer! This time though, I think we'll fly all the way- Long drive!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:34 AM
Cheri

Which Key is the Hungry Tarpon on?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:44 AM
Steve

You know, I'm not sure what key the Hungry Tarpon is one. All I remember is that it's right alongside US 1.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 08:06 AM
Megan

It is in Islamorada, on US1, southbound side after going over a bridge. $1 to feed a tarpo. Good fresh fish. Small no A/C

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:55 PM
ttt

ttt