Search

Miami or Key West?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Richard

Miami or Key West?

We (54 and 52 years old) are looking to spend Christmas week with our 24 and 20 year-old "kids." Would we be better off in Miami or Key West? The parents want to relax and the young adults want others their age and night life. Also, can you suggest good, but reasonably-priced hotels in both places? Can we see both places in 5-6 days without feeling rushed? Thank you.
Richard

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:55 PM
NYCBabe

I just came back from Miami 2 weeks ago which included a trek down to Key West. I would suggest staying at a hotel in Miami and taking the drive to Key West. It's a good 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive, but it's a gorgeous drive. If you decide to stay over in Key West (which I recommend because of the long drive) you'll avoid a lot of the crowds staying to the northern end. (N. Roosevelt Blvd.)We stayed at the Best Western, ($139) it had a beautiful balcony view of the ocean and was very quiet. The main area of Key West is basically restaurants, bars and t-shirt shops. You might also want to consider checking into the other Keys which could ut you halfway between both places. (I know there will be a few that might disagree with me, but that's my suggestion).

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Lindy

Yes, you can do both. two days in Miami and three in Key West. Personally I didn't like Miami, but I LOVED Key West. And the drive along the Keys was unusual and interesting. We stayed at a fabulous place in KW -- Caso Huyeos I think. The KW Chamber of Commerce can tell you. It was a group of completely refurbished cottages around a swimming pool. Complete kitchen and patio and it was simply superb. We left the car parked and walked everywhere -- Cuban restaurants, Hemingway's house, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. We had a ball. (We're you're age) Plenty of 20 somethings there too. Have fun.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Ron

I would skip Key West. It's VERY bohemian and not really that beautiful at all! If your budget will allow, and you want peace and quiet, go to the new Ritz-Carlton on Key Biscayne. If that's out of your budget, try the new Westin Diplomat in Hollywood (a bit noisier, though, but still brand new).

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Rose

We stayed in Key West at the Southernmost Motel this past June, and loved it. It's probably about 1 mile from Mallory Square (where the Sunset Celebration happens every night,) but we're all walkers so it was no big deal. Key West in very relaxing with MANY dining and drinking options. Because the island is not very large, it's easy to get around, and much less congested than Miami.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:22 AM
gmoney

Richard, Avoid Miami like the plague. Key west is one of the most relaxing places I have ever been, Lots for the kids to do and relaxing for you as well. Miami is a wasteland unless you are spanish speaking. The saying here in Florida is "Will the last american to leave Miami please bring the flag". Enjoy Key West.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:29 AM
mythoughts

If it were me having been to both, I consider them both a waste of time. I don't see the big hoopla over Key west. There is not an ocean per se,for swimming. In order to accomodate both age brackets I would choose FLL. and forget the Keys and Miami. Just my 2 cents worth. From Fll you can do a day trip to Miami.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:41 AM
J T Kirk

Let me try to summarize (and this is merely my opinion):
Miami is tres chi-chi (at least Sotuh Beach.) It's the home of neon, art deco, beautiful bodies, loud music, expensive restaurants and hotels. Sotuh Beach does have a glorious beach.

Key West is, as has been said, bohemian. There are plenty of good restaurants there and some really nice (but not as expensive as Miami) hotels/b&bs. (The Gardens Hotel and the Marquesa are two.) Yes, Key West does not have a great beach (although some of the resorts have built little teeny tiny white sand beaches.) But, Key West offers some great snorkeling, sunset boat trips, a seaplane trip down to the Dry Tortugas, etc. And there's some great nightlife in Key West (some people think that's when the place comes to life.) There are lots of things I think your kids would enjoy.

Have fun. In either place.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Max

As long as nobody in your group is dead set on long, soft, beautiful beaches Key West would be a nice time for all invovled. Miami is a little to much "hussel and bussel" IMHO and too pricey. Key West has great night life and plenty of things to do during the day but if one chooses to do so there are plenty of places to relax too.

Both destinations are going to be very expensive Christmas Week. There are several websites on both but since I am not hip on Miami I will give you my favorites for the Keys - floridakeys.com or keywest.com and they should have plenty of info on what you are looking for. I sorry I cannot help you on accomidations any further but maybe somebody else will. There is a Best Western in Town that I understand is reasonable but thats all I know on it.

If you choose Key West do not forget to go to Mallory Square for the Sunset Celebration. It is a must see.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:29 AM
nina

I would do both. I think your kids would love SoBe. The Art Deco strip is very interesting, the people watching is unparalleled anywhere, IMO, and if they want to check out the club scene, well, it doesn't get any better than South Beach. Plenty of people your kids ages, plus great hotels for relaxing. Lots of hip, happening restaurants and a wide range of hotels in all prices (but Christmas week will be sky high, don't expect to find any bargains). Give Hotelkingdom.com and hoteldiscount.com a shot for the Keys and Key West. The Loews in SoBe would be a great choice. The Ritz Carlton, while very nice, might be a bit stuffy for the kids. It's even a tad stuffy for me, and I'm a lot older.

I also love Key West. No, the beaches aren't spectacular, but it's still very tropical, offbeat and I love the conch house architecture. Lots of gingerbread molding, etc., and as a previous poster said, great drive down. Perhaps you could stay in one of the other keys and visit Key West for the day.

They are so close together, you may as well split the time between the 2. My husband and I love both spots, and we're in our early forties.

Have fun, I'm considering the same trip with our kids, who are 10 and 13, only we would stay at the Fontainebleu, if only for the great waterpark.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:38 AM
SA

Go to Key West & stay on Simonton, this is a great location but not directly on Duval. In addition to the great food there are also many galleries, etc. Go on one of the sunset cruises. Do not stay @ the Best Western or Southern most point, you are too far from everything. Visit the Fort. Relax..I would encourage you to check out B & B's rather than hotels. A great breakfast is usually included as well as a nice pool. You can do both & the drive is nice or you could fly to Key West & a car isn't even needed.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:22 AM
DeeDee

Nina, please don't call South Beach SoBe! It drives locals nuts! Thank you!

To the original poster, can you split the week up? Half in Miami and half in Key West?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
susan

Miami and Key West are completely different places. Miami is very much a big city (albeit with a great beach). It's very trendy, people like to dress up, and it's fairly expensive.

Key West is one of the most laid back places in the world. Leave your black clothes at home; t-shirts and sandals are everywhere, even in the most expensive restaurants. Both Miami and Key West have a "party scene" and they both afford great people-watching opportunities. I prefer Key West because of the casual atmosphere and the close proximity of tourist attractions and restaurants (assuming you stay in Old Town). In Key West, you'll be equally happy either resting or partying.

For very late night partying and exciting clubs and bar scenes, Miami is probably the better bet.

It's about a 4 hour drive down to Key West from Miami, so you could certainly see both places in 6 days, but I'm not sure you could do both justice. Good luck!