Reload this Page >

Florida Keys Honeymoon

Search

Florida Keys Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:53 PM
lenleigh

Florida Keys Honeymoon

Still having a hard time deciding where to go. My family is paying for the hotel with points they accumulated so we are limited to staying at a mariott. Has anyone stayed at the Mariott Key Largo? Is it nice? How is the Marco Island Mariott compare, if anyone can help me with that!

Looking for fun activities and a somewhat nice beach.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:13 PM
susan

If it's a beach experience you're after, forget the keys. All the beaches are man-made and most are tiny.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 03:24 AM
Larry

Here's my stock counterpoint to Susan- if you want watersports, swimming, and relaxing in the sun with a tropical drink, the Keys "beaches" (no matter how tiny or man-made) are excellent. If you want surf, sandcastles, and long walks during the sunset, yeah, you'll be dissapointed in the Keys.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:17 AM
J T Kirk

Let me add to the above posts, which are both correct: the Keys are bohemian in nature. I guess you know that. I just don't want anyone thinking that going to the Keys is like going to Bermuda. Of course, that's exactly why I like the Keys. There are lots of water sports to keep you busy in the day, and there are lots of good restaurants/bars to keep you busy at night. I'd make a daytrip to Key West. It's a little more happening down there. Have fun.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 04:52 AM
dolphin

Key Largo has a nice park with nature walks, canoeing in mangrove forests, a small but nice beach, boating, snorkel/diving trips and fishing. See this link:

http://www.johnpennekamp.com/home.htm

It's true that beaches aren't the greatest in the Keys, but a few are very nice. Make a day trip to Bahia Honda State Park on Big Pine Key (all on the main Rt1) There is a beautiful swimming beach there. Also on the main drag in Marathon, eat at Herbie's and the Seven Mile Grill-- both have lots of yummy local seafood and treats like Key Lime Pie. At the end on Marathon (going south toward Key West) there is the old bridge next to the new 7-mile bridge. The old bridge is like a park now and you can walk it all the way out to a little research station-- 3 miles--wear a hat, plenty of sunblock and bring your own water. As you walk, look over the sides into the incredible clear water-- you'll see all kinds of marine life-- huge tiger rays, barracuda etc.

Yes- go to Key West as a day trip. The Old Town is where all the tourism is. Get a local map and walk to the cemetery-- sounds weird but it's a very interesting place. Because the island is coral reef-- they can't bury people--(can't dig--the reef is too hard) so there are lots of coffin condos set above ground, some with funny epitaphs evoking the independent spirit of the folks who called Key West home. There's also a big monument to the USS Maine which was sunk off the coast during the Spanish-American war.
Look everywhere for chameleons..don't be afraid- they are harmelss little amphibians--look like geckos.

Drink at Capt. Tony's Saloon (a dive but has character and was the real Sloppy Joe's)-- avoid the Sloppy Joe's on Duval St -- too touristy.

While in the Keys, you must have yellowfin tuna, conch fritters, key lime pie and margaritas (go to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Key West-- it's touristy, but worth it-- good prices for good food in a fun atmosphere.)

Watch the sunset at Mallory Square (at one end of Key West-- anyone can tell you where to go). There is a mini carnival every night at sunset-- it's great.

See Hemingway's house in Whitehead St Key West and then walk up to the Southernmost Point with big marker --supposedly putting you at just 90 miles north of Cuba (no you can't see Cuba from there).

There are lots of things to do all the way down the Keys...get the Fodor's guide to Miami and the Keys- We used it exclusively and it was fabulous-- I would only caution you to stay away from the shipwreck museum in the upper keys..(near Key Largo-it was a rip-off) But the one in Key West is interesting.
I loved the Keys- and you will too. No -it is NOT Bermuda, but it is a folksy, no-frills tropical place with lots of character and friendly people. Have fun and congrats on your marriage.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Ron

Lenleigh,

All I can add is the websites for all the information you will need in Key West. The poster before me gave you a great description of Key West! I have heard great recommendations on the Marriott in Key Largo, but compared to the Marriott Marco Island, there is a big difference, tho I think there might be some kids at both places. Marco Island for the lodgeing & the beach, if that is what you are looking for. Hope this helps!

http://www.mallorysquare.com/

http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/

http://www.conchtourtrain.com/

http://www.oldtowntrolley.com/

http://www.hauntedtours.com/

http://www.historictours.com/keywest/Default.htm

http://www.forttaylor.com/

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:33 PM
lenleigh

Thanks everyone for all the help! I think we will enjoy the Keys. I do like nice beaches but I really love to snorkel and other water sports. And I love margaritas so it sounds like a good time to me! Thanks again!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:56 AM
Woo

Best site for info is www.fla-keys.com. Be sure to check the swimming report, as Key West has had some sewage problems, and they have made swimming off-limits. For snorkeling, however, that is safe if you are not too close to the island. Ditto on the beaches..they are small & not very pretty. Probably not what most folks go there for.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 07:53 AM
Jill

Lenleigh-The Marriott at Key Largo does not compare to the Marriott at Marco. The Marriott at Marco is one of the nicest Marriott's in the chain, has a great golf course, nice beach. If it's a nice beach you are looking for, I would choose Marco.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 08:17 AM
Chuck

I have to agree with Jill, the Marco Marriott is much nicer, while KL is so-so. You can compare the two at Marriott's website: www.marriotthotels.com. If you want to do a day trip to Key West, the Key West Express runs roundtrip from Marco to KW.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:25 AM
Larry

Lenleigh: You asked specifically about the Key Largo Mariott, so I want to respond to the comment above about Key West beaches being closed because of sewage- while this certainly is true, Key West is not that close to Key Largo. I have never heard of upper Keys swimming areas being closed due to poor water quality. You should have no problems swimming, snorkeling, jetsking, kayaking. etc, etc right from the "beach" of the Key Largo Mariott.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:31 PM
lenleigh

Thank you everyone for all the info! Especially the info on the hotels. I am thinking that we may stay at Marco Island but rent a car and drive to the keys. You guys are great!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:19 AM
Gina

Lenleigh-The Key West Express takes about 3 hours each way from Marco. Do a search on Key West Express and you will find their website. Driving time will probably take you around 5 hours. Cape Air also flies down there from Ft. Myers, www.capeair.com. Have fun!

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:26 AM
Chuck

Url for Key West Express is:

http://www.keywestwaterexpress.com/

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 08:23 PM
lenleigh

Alright, one more question. I promise. Is the water in Marco Island clear? If I wanted to snokel off the beach, could i see and are there rocks there?

Is there fun stuff to do there? Still think we would explore the keys too but Im wondering if we would have a great time in marco island too.

I guess that was more than one question. Thanks!

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Ginny

Comparing hotels-The Mariott Marco is much nicer. I have stayed at both, and I was disappointed with the Mariott at Key Largo.

Marco has a nicer beach and nicer pools. Key Largo has better snorkeling.
There are nice restaurants in both places.

What it comes down to is what you really want to do on your honeymoom. If snorkeling is a priority and you want to stay in smaller, less nicer digs than Key Largo is the place.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 03:02 PM
crickett

You will love the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada, about midway down in the Keys. Beautiful, lovely resort. Key West is downright fun! Depending on your age, a day or a week would be appropriat3e. The older you are, the less you need of Key West; but it is a great place to experience at any age.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 09:59 AM
xxx

Gee Cricket, Did you even read lenleigh's question??? She said she has a freebie at the Mariott as a wedding present. What the hell does the Checca have to do with anything??? Why don't you learn to read??? I hear they have hooked on phonics on sale....

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 03:56 PM
ttt

ttt