Reload this Page >

miami - temperature in late Jan/early Feb

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:55 PM
flyaway978

i will be in Miami in late Jan and early Feb and wanted to know what the average temp would be? It is possible to go swimming and layout during that period? I heard that it would be chilly but would like to hear from residents or previous visitors...

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 04:43 AM
OliveOyl

I don't live in Miami and have never visited at that time of year, but may be a little help. Go to http://www.weatherunderground.com and type in Miami. At the bottom of the column that has all the current weather conditions you will find "historical". You can look up historical data for any date during the period of your stay going back to 1994. Listen to advice here, but make your own judgment based on a combination of that and what you find in weatherunderground. I sometimes feel there is an element on the boards that enjoys being the bearer of bad news. I've seen some of the same things you have re temps, but I live half way up the state and even here we have plenty of absolutely gorgeous beach days in Jan. and Feb., and fewer of the fronts that hit us make it all the way to Miami.

Unfortunately the site isn't working well this morning. I looked at one day for you, Feb 1, 1994, but then got bogged down with the eternal hour glass when I tried to look at the next year. For that one day though, the high was 75.9 and low 60, with an average high for that date of 77 and average low of 60--not half bad. Of course fronts can come through, but even here, Tampa Bay area, they are short lived and the nice weather is back.

We were there this past weekend and people were diligently working on their tans, and plenty of people in swimming. If you are from the New England area or far north, your summer water never warms up to what this is in the winter! LOL Whether or not you'll find Miami swimmable pretty much depends on where you are coming from. I don't get in unless the water temp is over 80 now, but even here I'll see at least a few people in the water all winter.

Here's to nice weather...have a good trip.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:04 AM
HarryR

flyaway978 - Good advice from OliveOyl, you need to use advice received as only one aspect of making your decision. While I haven't been in Miami I have been in Fort Lauderdale during Jan. & Feb. and the weather has been fine. Of course I'm coming from CT. and as OliveOyl pointed out, our summer water temp. is less than their winter water temp. My guess is that you would enjoy yourself and be able to swim and sunbath with no problem.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:26 AM
Patrick

Follow Olive Oyl's advice to look at weather history, but this much I can tell you. There is no guarantee at that time of year. There is a little more probability that the weather will be nice -- clear, sunny, and in the 70's, but there is almost as much chance that you could hit a cold front with the weather being more in the 40's to 50's. In the event of the cold front, however, you would normally only expect a day or two of cloudy/rainy weather, the clear and sunny skies even if it remains in the 40's and 50's.
There is nearly always a breeze though, and regardless of the daytime temperatures, expect the evenings to be on the cool side.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 06:33 AM
Kim

I am from the area and the temperature will be around the 70's (unless a cool front comes in) but keep in mind the constant breeze the beach offers if going there. That makes for being kind of chilly, but if just laying out at a hotel not on the beach should be fine. I actually layed out at my house this past weekend.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:45 AM
Richard

I live here so I think I can shed some light.

Bottom line Dec - Feb it is a crap shoot! You could have 80's or it could plunge to the upper 40s. Chilly is a relative term, locals will wear jackets and fur hats when the temp goes below 65 degrees!

The swing could be just for days, or weeks. The closer you get to the end of February the chances get better each week.

The week before you go check the 10 day forecast and you will know.

As for swimming and sunning, we have a little joke down here, we can always tell the visitors from the locals by who is in the water!

THe water is cold, but no colder than a northern lake in July. So yes you can swim but it will be cool.

Lying out so long as it is warm will be ok, the sun will be hot, but if you get in a shadow in the afternoon, it will be cool.

All in all, you don't think too much about the weather in Miami...its always nice!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:00 AM
gail

If you are from a northern climate, you can sun and swim - likely temps around 70 - but the "natives" will be wearing wool and laughing at you. Happens every year when we visit my brother in southern FL (we are from Boston area). We love the "warmth" but he waits until it is 90 to swim.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 05:41 AM
x

This is a good rule of thumb for me. I usually add around 40 degrees to NYC temps in the winter. If it is 35 in NYC, it is usually around 75 in Miami. It doesn't always work but it is a good estimate.