Mexican restaurant close to Phoenix Convention Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have never been to Phoenix, can someone suggest a great restaurant by convention center, was thinking Mexican as I've read there are some really good ones in Phoenix. Open to other suggestions, prefer something could only get in Phoenix, so no chains. It will be around 5pm and also prefer a place with cocktails. Will be staying in Peoria so if there is a great place there, we could wait and eat after drving back to hotel. Will have 15 year old son, but he likes everything. Do not care about price.
Thanks for any help
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Carolina's Mex is our fave.
We go to the one at the airport that is a dive but they have one in Peoria.
Cheap and good.

www.carolinasmexicanfood.com
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:07 AM

Carolina's... I don't think they have cocktails but the food is so good that you can eat and drink somewhere else..really good for breakfast/lunch too and the tortillas are out of this world good..take home with you.

Tee Pee Mex on 44th is another good choice.
Carlos O'Brien's is excellent and they have a full bar and great happy hour specials..they don't scrimp on the cheese which wife and I both love!

http://carlosobriens.net/
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

They both look good, might try both. I see Carlos O'Briens has hh everyday, would you know if kids can sit in the lounge for hh. Here in Vegas very seldom, but I have been to states where kids can sit at the bar.
Thanks for your help ksucat.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Hi!
I've seen kids younger than your son in the lounge/bar..its where we eat a lot of the times since me and the wife love our cocktails and the food is really good.
It's not authentic but damn good Mexican and their happy hour is one of the best in the Southwest!
I'll be in town next week and Carlos O'Brien is one of the first places we hit up.
Have a good time LVAMY and report back!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:16 PM

I just saw that 'at the bar' comment..I don't think anywhere allows at the bar but they booths and tables in the bar that allow you to drink and eat with the kids allowed...maybe give them a call just to be sure.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, ksucat, I didn't mean we wanted to sit at the bar with him-just commenting on the difference in laws- some kids can't be anywhere near the lounge and some states kids can plop down right at the bar. We will definitely check it out in March, sounds like our kind of place.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Sam's Cafe! I liked it so much I ate there twice.

http://www.canyoncafe.com/azcenter.htm
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM

Sam's Cafe is nice, tasty and walkable from the Phoenix Convention Center (just a block away). If the weather is nice, sit out on the patio and enjoy the Arizona Center's fountains and garden.

But if you want an award-winning neighborhood joint with slightly more upscale food ... Barrio Cafe is little more than a 5-minute drive from the Phoenix Convention Center and has won numerous kudos for the chef's take on southern Mexican cuisine. Zagat has named Barrio to its "top restaurants" guides several times.

Check out the menu online and see if it intrigues: www.barriocafe.com.