New York City: safety of area near W. 43rd Street and 9th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello -- I have a highly specific question that hopefully someone can answer! I will be attending an evening performance at the small West Side Theater on 43rd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues on a Sunday night and was wondering if I would feel comfortable walking alone (I'm female) back to my hotel near Grand Central Station at about 9:00 PM. My concern is the area right around the theater, which looks like it might be deserted on a Sunday night. I'm not too concerned once I get further west on 42nd Street. The theater office said it would probably be okay but it depended on my comfort level. I could arrange for a car to pick me up (at some cost) as an alternative. Thank you in advance for any advice on this!
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM

You'll be fine. There are tons of restaurants on 9th and there will be lots of people about. BTW, you'll be heading east, not west, to get to the GCT area...
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 09:52 AM

First, there will be a bunch of people leaving the same time you do - and most will go in the same direction. Scond that area is perfectly safe. (Any tourist area of NYC is safe) and the dozens of eateries on restaurant row will be busy until at least 11 pm.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM

Head east to GCT! There will be a lot of people around; this isn't an area that's ever deserted. You'll be perfectly safe, just be aware of your surroundings as you would be anywhere else in the world when traveling alone. Where are you staying? Have fun!
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM

Your concern in understandable, but if the theater were not in a safe location it wouldn't attract an audience. When you leave the theater, stay near others who will also be walking east toward Times Square and Grand Central Station.

HTTY
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM

Absolutely safe. You will not be alone on the streets, so don't worry about it. I would walk on 43rd rather than 42nd because there are just too many people on 42nd. You'll be just fine.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:52 AM

I agree that the area is fine, but I''ll disagree with Doug and say DO walk on 42nd street. The smaller side streets are never as busy as the major streets and the avenues, and if safety is your concern, you are better off with a few extra people on the block. On a Sunday evening (what time of the year?) 42nd street is not likely to be so crowded that you can't manage it
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM

I also disagree with Happy logic.

Your concern in understandable, but if the theater were not in a safe location it wouldn't attract an audience.

The area for this theater is just but fine there are music venues, galleries, and theaters that are not in great areas because they cannot afford to be.

Years ago La Mama had crack vials and bullet shells outside the theater and there are still places in the boros that are not in the greatest areas
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM

Everyone's comfort level is different. There's no way for us to anticipate what yours will be. Why not just take the crosstown bus on 42 st. ???? http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf You can also just jump into a taxi of which there will be loads. There's no reason to order a car service which will cost a fortune for that trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I feel much better. I had been concerned that because some theaters are closed Sunday night, the area would be deserted, but it sounds like enough is happening that I will be just fine. And yes I meant walking east not west! And nice I don't have to pay for a car service -- it would indeed be expensive, much more than a cab, and for only a very short distance too. We plan to stay at the Library Hotel -- we have stayed there before and like the atmosphere.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM

Here's a link to the webpage for the Midtown North Police Precinct.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr...inct_018.shtml

Note the crime statistics link. Year to date, you've had 277 crimes, of which something like 160+ were grand larceny. To put that in perspective, consider how many people live, work, and pass through that area in a given day.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM

I also disagree with Happy logic.

Ha! In any event, while we were in New York for a month this summer we went to several plays in Theater Row and the only time we had a problem was when a bus load (40+) of college students decided to sit northwest corner of 8th Avenue and 42nd Street. The sidewalk was obstructed and it made passing difficult.

That said, those who are unaccustomed to diversity and the rougher aspects of big city life may feel uneasy walking in this area even though it is a safe home to theaters, restaurants, apartments, etc.
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM

Why not just take the crosstown bus on 42 Street? While we were in NYC this summer we waited 20 minutes for a crosstown bus and it never showed up. On repeated visits to 42nd we saw many buses but seldom a crosstown bus. They must not run very often. We had monthly bus passes we were eager to use, but the opportunity never came up on 42nd Street.

HTTY
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:47 AM

I agree the crosstown bus seems to take a long time to show up but it does run. No one has menioned the subway as an option. The Times Square shuttle or the #7 train go from Times Square to Grand Central. There are loads of restaurants now on 9th ave. so it's not deserted at all.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM

Good point, Mclaurie. It was probably because of the convenience of Times Square Shuttle that we felt little need to ponder when a crosstown bus might come by. HTTY
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM

You can certainly walk straight across 43rd Street, but if you find the crowds thinning, move over to 42nd Street (always busy) and straight across East. Otherwise, on 42nd St take the bus crosstown, or walk over to 7th Ave/42nd St., down into the subway for the Shuttle or #7 to Grand Central. Right upstairs is your hotel. If none of these suit, hail a taxi. Car Service is way too expensive.