Search

How safe is Harlem?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Sue

How safe is Harlem?

I will be staying at the Washington Hotel in Harlem for the weekend. It's on 3rd Ave, close to 124th Street. Any ideas on safety in that area? Also, what about places to eat for the budget minded?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:30 AM
rick

Sue -

Fair question. Parts of Harlem are very safe, parts still have some crime issues. The area you will be in around 124th should be fine. You will be just 14 blocks north of central park. It will be a neat part of the neighborhood so make sure you eat at a few restaurants with the locals.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Sue

Thanks Rick - I have always found that eating and sleeping where the locals locals live is usually far more memorable to following the usual tourist routes.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 08:40 AM
lisa

I have to be honest with you -- I think that West Harlem is considerably safer than East Harlem (where you'll be staying). The last time I was in the neighborhood you mentioned, I took the 4,5,6 subway to 125th street and walked west to go to Sylvia's. The neighborhood was not good on the east side and my husband kept saying that we should have known better. People just "hanging out" on the corners, not a lot of businesses, the ones that are there are not very well-kept. It got better with each block we walked.

It would not be my choice for a tourist to stay.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Sue

Thanks for the info. I guess we will have to watch ourselves and not wander around too much.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Sue

Thanks for the comments. I don't think anyone wants to turn my question into a racial issue, but, it is useful to know what I might expect when I get to Harlem, which historically, was known to be unsafe. I would hope that it is no longer as unsafe as it might have been 10 years ago. Am I wrong in this presumption?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:48 AM

The point is it really depends on the kind of person you are. Are you going to be intimidated by the (relative) poverty and minority population on the street. If so, then you will be fine. However, if you are not comfortable in a city to begin with and have not had much experience beyond a white suburban neighborhood, then I might consider staying elsewhere.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 10:50 AM
justcurious

Sue, why would you stay on a place if you question how "safe" it is there?

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Sue

I like to think I have stayed in a wider variety of areas and neighbourhoods than the average 'luxury' traveller.
Previously, I have stayed in the Times Square and Empire State Building area and wanted to experience a new neighbourhood. Expedia had a special deal for Harlem, so I grabbed it while it was available. Now I am getting myself mentally in tune for what to expect when I get there. My motto has always been to 'expect the worst and be happy with what I get'. This way of thinking has given me some interesting travel experiences in the past and I hope this trip will be just as rewarding.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Julie

The problem, Sue, is that any time that you post a question like this, you'll get ignorant people coming out of the woodwork to comment. Many have probably never been to the neighborhood in question, and just base their comments on stereotypes. I recall similar ignorant comments recently when someone asked about living in Newark.

I went to school at Columbia and spent a good deal of time in and around Harlem. I would say that the comments earlier in this thread from Lisa are the most accurate regarding the differences between West and East Harlem. The neighborhood as a whole is much safer than it used to be, as is all of New York City. More middle-class people of all races are moving into the neighborhood in search of affordable housing. There are however, some areas where you still need to be careful, particularly at night. If you choose to stay there, just use your common sense and trust your gut feelings about which areas you should and should not be in. It always worked fine for me.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Sue

Julie, Rick, Lisa and Rachel,
Thanks for your comments. I will certainly keep a lookout for the possible dangers, and will also be sure to enjoy all that New York has to offer.
If anyone is interested, I will report back on what I thought of the area on my return next week.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:17 PM
xxx

I have been to NYC three times and went to Harlem once. Its quite alright. There is a jazz scene and some good authentic soul food. Not dangerous at all , but use common sense and just be more weary after dark.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Cry me

WE'RE the whiners? "Oh waah!! The people we conservatives have demeaned into poverty for years are on welfare!! Oh Waahhh...I'm not racist, I just call people Negroid!! "

Ghettos caused by the poor themselves?? Boy, racist AND stupid!! You think people CHOOSE to live in impoverished settings? They like the ghetto? They enjoy getting paid $6 an hour and paying $3 of it an hour back into child care? I'm sure this will come as a surprise to your ignorant self, but the majority of people on welfare DO have a job. But, being a conservative who doubtfully has to worry about his own station in life (mumsy and dadsy set you up nicely, eh?)...I highly doubt you know statistics, except, of course, for the ones you've created in your demented brain.

Mike, it IS nice to know there are conservatives without their heads stuck up their naive arses.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Karen

Hi Sue: I am a Harlem resident, and have been since 1987. 1st: You should be staying at a hotel that's been renovated on 110th and Central Park North (off the corner of Lenox Avenue). I suggest this because, Harlem has and is making lots of improvements, but most of them seem to be centered towards the west and not the east. There are several new spots to dine in along Adam Clayton Jr. Blvd. (that's 7th Ave for us Harlimites) You also have the studio Musuem of Harlem and the Appollo Theatre on 125th Street. You've got Grant's Tomb on Riverside Drive & 122nd Street (that's on the Hudson River) along with the Columbia University area over there. You also might want to check out the Schomburg Center on 135th Street and Lenox Ave. for great articles (micro film), photographs and artwork of Harlem in it's Heyday.

There's also a new tourist office that opened up on Fredirick Douglas Blvd. (that's 8th Ave for the Harlimites) and 121st to 119th streets. You can really get great advice here. Don't forget to check out the local churches like Abyssian on 139th Street Between 7th & 8th. You'll get a great service and plenty of friendly local advice.

As to sad a@# Uncle Sam, baby you've got issues! If you don't know what you're talking about keep your trap shut. Enjoy the trip Sue.

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Sue

Julie, Rick, Lisa and Rachel,
Thanks for your comments. I will certainly keep a lookout for the possible dangers, and will also be sure to enjoy all that New York has to offer.
If anyone is interested, I will report back on what I thought of the area on my return next week.