Search

Mexican food in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:42 PM
foodie

Mexican food in NYC

I need help finding a great Mexican joint in NYC. I have read good reviews of Maya and Hells Kitchen. Anyone been? Any other Faves?

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Ted

The Post (or Daily News) has named Mexican Radio as the best Mexican restaurant, and I agree. (However, beware of slow service if you're seated downstairs.) It's located on Cleveland near the Spring Street #6 subway stop.

Maz Mescal is also excellent, on the Upper East Side. It has an upscale atmosphere and is slightly more expensive than the typical Mex restaurant.

El Cantinero on University Place is another winner -- festive outdoor seating upstairs.

Oh, and I shouldn't leave out Cilantro, also on the UES. Probably the best fajitas (steak & chicken) in Manhattan.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 03:07 PM
felicia

.Rosa Mexicano (1st and 58th), Zarela (2nd and 50th) and Mama Mexico (broadway and 101st). My boyfriend's a 2nd generation Mexican-French and he knows what's good and these are his favorites. Enjoy!!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Ted

Hey Upper West Siders, any decent Mexican food over there??

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:16 AM
patty

I like Mama Mexico which Felicia also mentioned. Love their made to order guacamole and seafood dishes and it's a festive,if noisy, place to celebrate, especially with the mariachi band in the evenings. It's also a few blocks from my home and the owner is supportive and involved in our neighborhood.

There's also new places which I haven't tried yet along Amsterdam Avenue like Noche Mexicana on 102nd St.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:04 AM
lisa

Rosa Mexicano has a new outpost on the West Side. Around 62nd & Broadway.

For a more casual atmosphere and more tex-mex style food, try Gabriela's on the West Side. There are two locations, one in the 70's and Amsterdam and one in the 80's.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:46 AM
Jackie

I ate at Maya's in May. It truly was wonderful. One complaint though, the awsome Mango Margaritas were served in tiny juice glasses, not typical Margarita glasses for around $6.00. Otherwise just perfect

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:52 AM
Elfienyc

Well, my old favorite is still Maryann's in Chelsea. There's another Maryann's too further downtown I think. Maryann's had the best Mex at very good prices. I haven't been there in a couple of years but I know they're still there. Try searching at Zagats.com, you'll find their locations.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:52 AM
Frank

FYI: Mama Mexico has a branch which recently opened on 49th Street right off 3rd Avenue, directly across from Smith and Wollensky.

My vote goes to Zarela's on Second Avenue.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:02 AM
nygirl

If you want to sit in a room with no decor,be the only non- Mexican,enjoy loud Mexican music on a juke box,and have the best homemade Mexican food outside of Mexico-
Los Dos Mexicanos on 2nd Ave.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:03 AM
nygirl

http://new.york.diningguide.net/data/d100293.htm

sorry,got the name wrong,Los Dos Rancheros~

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:18 AM
Ted

There is also a Mary Ann's on Second Ave around 78th Street. Fine Mexican food, although the restaurant had some Health Department troubles several months ago (I don't know what type of troubles).