COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

NYC Indian Food

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

NYC Indian Food

Can anyone suggest a good Indian place in NYC? We are looking for inexpensive to moderately priced and a reasonable dining room (ie not a place that is mainly catering to take out). Any advice appreciated. I am not of Indian decent but for some reason in my travels I always try Indian in every country... so far the best I had was in Japan, although it was technically Nepalease!

Locations: Anywhere in Manhattan is fine, but the farther South, the better. We are staying downtown but plan on doing a lot of site seeing so we are open. We are going next weekend.

Thanks...
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM

East 6th Street between 2nd and 1st is an Indian restaurant row, with choices in all price ranges.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM

In the East Village, E. 6th Street features several Indian restaurants all in a row, "Little India."

If you saw the movie "Along Came Polly," parts of it were filmed in an Indian restaurant on this block.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM

My one objection to many Indian restaurants (and admittedly I'm a fan but no expert) is that I often don't like to choose one dish which seems huge and after a while becomes tiresome. I do like Indian restaurants that offer a combination plate of items. And while I always say I don't like buffets, one place I always hit in NYC is Utsav, in the theatre district for an Indian lunch buffet. The food is excellent, and you can choose a variety of foods in smaller portions for more variety. It is also nice that they label all the foods and show major ingredients plus let you know if it is mild or spicy. I really like the place and it has very nice surroundings and decor, plus very friendly service.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM

There are a two neighborhoods in Manhattan that are known for Indian food- Murray Hill/Gramercy (Curry Hill to some) on Lexington Ave. between 24th and 29th and an area in the East Village around E6th St. and 1st/2nd Avenues. You will find plenty of restaurants there. Try menupages.com for menu's or chowhound message boards for other opinions. My personal favorite is Curry Leaf on Lexington Avenue.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:27 PM
hdm

I went to a nice place called Sapphire (I think), near Columbus Circle. I was there for their buffet lunch but I'm sure they have a dinner menu.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
mp

I saw on your other thread you're staying downtown at the Exchange hotel, near Wall St. A place I like that fits your bill - mid-priced with good food and nice atmosphere would be Salaam Bombay in Tribeca - (375 Greenwich St. between Duane and Reade) - about a 15 minute walk or about a $7 cab ride from your hotel.
Check out the menus on www.menupages.com

I agree with Patrick that Utsav is very good - if you're going to the theatre or in midtown, that's a terrific choice.

The neighborhood around Lexington Avenue and 25th Street is affectionately called "curry hill" - there are many South Indian restaurants, spice stores and sari/fabric stores. Restaurants where I've enjoyed extremely reasonable, very tasty meals are:
Copper Chimney 126 E. 28th St. (bet Park and Lex)
Chennai Garden 129 E. 27th St. (bet Park and Lex)
Vatan 409 3rd Ave (at 29th St.)
On east 6th Street, I like Brick Lane 306-308 E. 6th St. or Haveli - 100 2nd Ave. bet. 5th and 6th.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM

I'm with Patrick on the buffet lunch idea. I've also had the one at Utsav and it's delicious and far better than their dinner, imo (and a LOT cheaper).

Moksha in Tribeca is not far from you and worth a visit.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:55 PM

I've eaten at Calcutta on E 6th street and thought it was good.
Although you want to stay in Manhattan, if you're up for a little adventure...take the E or 7 train into Queens and get off at Jackson Heights. The Jackson Diner is good also and you will be in the middle of the Indian neighborhood of NY.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM

ElleneM is right: Curry Village is the best! 6th Street between 1st/2nd Avenues. Just go to the place with the most garland and lights on the ceiling. I'd avoid Curry Hill (2nd Ave in the 30s). The food is OK, but not as good as downtown. Have a samosa for me!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM
JAS

I like Haveli on 2nd btwn 5 & 6st.