Reload this Page >

Memphis-Best Barbeque

Search

Memphis-Best Barbeque

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Debbie

Memphis-Best Barbeque

I'm looking for the best barbeque restaurant close to downtown Memphis.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:11 PM
susan

The Rendezvous. It's in the heart of downtown across the street from the Peabody Hotel and is famous for its dry rub barbeque.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:18 PM
S

I realize it's famous for the dry rub barbecue. I've eaten there several times. There's very little meat on ribs to begin with. If they are let to cook too long, the meat can be dry. My experience at the Rendezvous was adequate at best. My husband would be irate.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:26 PM
sneel

100% Corky's--best freaking ribs in the country!

http://www.corkysbbq.com/

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:33 PM
Huh?

S - If you didn't like the food why did you eat there several times? And why would your husband be irate?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:44 PM
S

I was with friends who specifically wanted to eat there. He would be irate at the quantity of meat on the plate, the price for the slapdash way of serving it, and the type of food. He would make really snotty comments about people who have more money than sense and pay for crap. For example, when he gets a salad out, he doesn't want to find stuff in the salad that looks just like the weeds he eliminates from our yard.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:06 PM
Ssgotaway

Nicely put. Getting screwed is for the bedroom, not the dinner table.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:24 PM
S

Thanks. And you can have a cigarette at home, but probably not in the restaurant.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:29 PM
J Correa

We ate at Corky's while in Memphis and it was very good. Some friends of the family who have lived around Memphis their whole lives took us there.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
lmsa_mc

Corky's! Corky's! Corky's!
Best ever, especially the original location.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:46 PM
rob

Corky's is a chain. Some of their restaurants are good and some are awful.
Not everyone likes Rendezvous, but it's indigenous to Memphis.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:59 PM
BBQ Girl

I live in Memphis and have eaten BBQ since I could chew solid food. Following are my recommendations:

Rendevous ribs are ok at best. They're actually char broiled not bbqd so there's not a really good smoky flavor. The service is rushed. Beans and slaw are not worth eating. I'm not a fan.

Neely's on Jefferson has EXCELLENT 'que. Beans and the other side dishes are worth eating! It's a few blocks east of downtown near the medical center. A short drive or cab ride. The same family also runs Interstate BBQ on Third street which would be a few miles south of downtown.

Corky's is ok. It's where tourists go. Their sauce is a little too sweet for me. Corky's is nowhere near downtown.

There used to be a BBQ place on Beale Street. I don't know if it's still there but, if it is, DON'T EAT THERE it has some of the worst BBQ I've ever had.

There's a new place in midtown called Central BBQ which is pretty good as well if you're in the neighborhood.