Search

Maui Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Restaurants

Well, I didn't select a topic area the first time I posted this so here goes again.... Want to pay for dinner one night for friendss going to Maui for their 25th and I haven't been there in years - what's the best for atmosphere AND food? They like fish and poultry.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:29 AM

Got to be Mamas fish house. You can't go wrong.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 05:37 AM

I'd vote for Sarentos on the beach. Amazing food, service, and view!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Sarento's is great. So is Ferraro's at the 4S. Both have very nice Ocean Front atmosphere.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM
onurzas

posters said sarento's sand was unpleasant, like cat litter. Maui offers better, scope out "maui revealed" book.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Another vote for Mama's fish house....it was a highlight on our trip.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:18 PM

onurzas, don't order the sand at Sarento's. They have much better items on the menu. I've never even seen "sand" on their menu.

But, Melly, do you know where they are staying? There are some wonderful places that haven't made it into the standard guide books. Mama's is great, but everyone goes there. For a special night, I prefer to take people to the Planatation House in Kapalua. I find the view from the Plantation House to be spectacular. This is an especially nice option if they are staying on that side of the island.

The very best service on the island is found at the Maalaea Waterfront. They get their fish fresh off the boats in the harbor. Five stars and best seafood restaurant in the state by Zagats.

And I am forever a fan of both I`O and Pacific`O

These would all be my choices for both atmosphere and food. I find the resort restaurants, and even Mama's to some extent, since it is a high-traffic place, to kind of lack something in the ambience and romance categories. You can visit the websites for these restaurants and view the menus and the views. I`O even has a 360? panarama of it's beachside location on it's website.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM
onurzas

oh you dont eat the sand, it gets btwn your toes and is supposed to enhance the beach scene.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:39 PM
bonniebroad

Friends just fell in love with Pacific'O and I'O.......... And my sister who goes to Maui every winter always goes at least once to Maalaea Waterfront! She says one overlooked restaurant is Five Palms at the Mana Kai Maui resort. Says the sunset is the best on Maui, and not as expensive as many lesser places.

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Had a fabulous meal at I'O. Great atmosphere, great service, great food.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:20 PM

There's no sand at Sarento's. There's sand at the outdoor section of the Hula Grill in Kaanapali, and yes, it feels like dirty kitty litter under your feet. In fact, I made that exact statement in MY report!

You can sit along the railing at Sarento's, right on the beach, which we did...we loved it, beautiful sparkling ambience, thorough and friendly service, good wine list, and we both loved everything we ordered, even out of a box the next day for lunch! It's very romantic and you can walk with your toesies in the sand afterwards on quiet Keawakapu Beach.

love
roxy
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Hi, where is Sarento's? Also, do they have a website? Thanks very much.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 01:27 AM

Orchid: 2980 S. Kihei Road, Kihei-Maui Oceanfront Inn. Tri-star-restaurants.com. Very near Five Palms, but worlds apart.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:46 PM

We were on a quest for "the perfect mai tai". After 4 islands (Big Island, Oahu, Maui, and Kauai) we found that the Hula Grill on Maui and Dukes on Kauai had the best recipe for the mai tai - Mama's Fish House didn't even come in a close second. The Sunset House (on Kauai) had a pretty good one - it won a contest for best "creative mai-tai" on the island - but Duke's on Kauai (same chain as Hula Grill on Maui) is still the best in my book.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 04:57 PM

I'll always remember our evening at Maalaea Waterfront -- champagne and lobster! Over the years, we've also enjoyed Haliamaile General Store, Girard's, and that restaurant, Paul someone, known for its kona coffee crutsted rack of lamb. Mmmmmmmm.......