Search

MAUI - LUAU advice

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAUI - LUAU advice

Hello Fodorites,

I will be in Maui in about 3 weeks celebrating my 5-year anniversary. I have narrowed down my luau choices to the Marriott Luau, Hyatt Luau, and Royal Lahaina Luau (We want to budget in the $50-$60 per person range).

Does anyone have any knowledge and preferences about which of these three offer a better "luau experience."

Thanks for your help!
reemoe
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:39 AM

I have not been to any of the 3 luaus you listed, but went to Maui last March and did the Old Lahaina Luau - IT WAS FANTASTIC...well worth the price. However, you need to reserve well in advance - so if you are interested in that one, I'd call now. Hope someone else can help you with the others.
Enjoy your trip! And try to do the Road to Hana (if you dare and if you love snorkeling...try the Rainbow Chaser 46' Catamaran (more private) or Pride of Maui.
If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer, I've been to Maui twice and love it!
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Well I'll be the dissenter. We did the Old Lahaina Luau which we read in several books was the best. Neither DH or enjoyed it much. We felt way too much like cattle. Obviously a lot of people enjoy it, but I thought I'd toss that out there.

If you don't mind a quick recommendation I would suggest going to Warren and Annabel's comedy magic show. I know it sounds a bit corny, but I think it was the best activity we paid for on Maui.

Regardless, have fun and Happy Anniversary.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM

We went to the Royal Lahaina Luau and I wouldn't waste my money. I have heard the best luau if you really think you have to go is the Old Lahaina Luau. We'll never go to another one.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:01 AM

I agree about Warren and Annabel's - it is definately a show I'd recommend.
As for the Luau...I had never been to one before the OL, so have nothing to compare it to, but enjoyed it.
Old May 15th, 2003, 08:10 AM

Went to OLL last year and felt completely ripped off...the food was mediocre and meager, the drinks watery and the entertainment, while good, didn't start until 8:30 PM, a good two hours after we arrived.

And Lahaina is HOT, and while the luau is on the water, there is no beach.

Having now been to a few of these luau's, my feeling is to go to the cheapest or most convenient: they're all cheesy, the food is never great and the entertainment is very similar.

Coachboy
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM

The hyatt, feast of lele, was very nice, food was good and the dancers were very good. They boast the best fire show and i thought it was. The hyatt is very nice, walk arround and say hi to some warm weather penguins. nick
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:03 PM

I've done the Marriott. I would say it is Las Vegas style. Depends on what you like.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 08:42 PM

have to agree with Coachboy that OLL Sucked! Food was so bad nobody, I mean NOBODY on my table or tables next to mine went for seconds!! Flys everywhere. The show was pathetic. No fire torches whatsoever. And all this for the most expensive luau possibly in Hawaii!!
Old May 31st, 2003, 01:35 PM

Do anything but the OLD LAHAINA LUAU! It was terrible. The waiters are the entertainers so while you are eating only the band is playing. The were no fire dancers when we were there. I've been to two other Luaus on Oahu, and this one was a HUGE disappointment. I heard the one in Wailea at the Marriot (formerly the Outrigger) was good. Have a great trip.