Search

luau in maui

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Yvonne

luau in maui

Does anyone have recent experience in attending a luau in maui - we are staying in kihei.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:38 AM
steph

The Old Lahaina luau right near downtown Lahaina is really top-notch -- I'd highly recommend it.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Jared

Is a Luau a must-do when going to Hawaii?

Thanks,
Jared

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Debi

We went to a luau at the Renaissance in Wailea. It was nice - and I normally don't like luaus at all. The dancing was entertaining (which is my favorite part of it) and the food was pretty good.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Duane

What from I have read and heard, the Old Lahaina Luau is the best liked. However, since you are staying in Kihei you may want to check out the one at the Renaissance, which would be much closer.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
tracey

I too can recommend the Renaissance Luau, I'm not a huge fan of Luaus but we found a buy one get one coupon and decided to go. It has a nice setting, small crowd and food was quite good. Show was pretty good. I think the normally charge $75 pp.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Duane

Tracey, where did you get the coupon for the luau?

Also, do discounts exist for the Old Lahaina luau?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:34 PM
tourist

We were in Kihei in October and faced the same dilemma. Go to a convenient luau in Wailea or go to the hassle of driving to the Old Lahaina Luaua in Lahaina. Go to the Old Lahaina. It was worth it. Have a designated driver.

We were walking down the beach walk one night and saw the Luau at the hotel on the immediate Kihei side of the Grand Wailea (I dont think it was the Renaissance but am not sure - there are only 2 luaus in Wailea and they dont run every night). You can watch the whole show from the side, & no one will stop you. We watched the fire twirlers, something that they dont have at the Old Lahaina. The whole show seemed kind of hokey and the paying customers were sitting on lousy lawn furniture on the lawn. I would suggest walking to this and watching the show for free one evening (there will be plenty of other people doing the same). Then I would go and pay for the Old Lahaina, which is really nice all around (the grounds, food, drinks and dancing). I dont hink the Old Lahaina has any discounts but you might get a cheap freeby teddy bear and mug thrown in if you use a coupon in one of the tourist magazines. Book early. I got in 2 days after booking, but had to get on waiting list. My seats were in the back, but the worst arent really bad at all. Its worth the extra money.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Yvonne

message to tourist: any other tips you can provide for Kihei? Thanks for your luau info.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 08:12 PM
tourist

Yvonne:

I dont know where you are staying, or if you can change, but I can tell you of a fantastic value. The Hale Hui Kai condos on the border of Wailea and Kihei. Ask for room 211 or a similar room. For less than $250 a night you get a 2 br 2 bath condo about 40 yards from the beach or less. It has a huge porch. As far as activities - stay away from the dinner cruises, particulary the Maui Princess. If you can get a good discount or 2 for 1 or something you might want to try a cocktail cruise (if its cheap enough) but the dinner cruises definitely are not worth $60 or more. Spend the money on a decent restaraunt instead (Nicks or Mammas). Go to the beach ansd relax in Kihei - read Maui Revealed to locate best beaches in Kihei. Certain parts of Kihei supposedly have sewage pumped into them, so you want to avoid those (north Kihei). Hope that helps.