Maui/Kauai Condo's w/good pool/beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been researching Maui/Kauai condos, but as soon as one seems to have what I'm looking for, I find out either it is not beachfront or the pool is very very basic. Looking for nice beachfront condo's with good beaches and pools. On Maui and on Kauai. Any good suggestions............
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Most condo complexes I've seen have fairly simple pools. Some timeshare properties are more elaborate. The Embassy in Maui has a big pool area for example.
As regards condos in general, we stayed at Poipu Kai on Kauai, Poipu beach about 200 yds away from the actual unit we stayed in, some are closer.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resokgsc/hawaii2004/
"The End" page has Poipu Kai layout diagram.

If you go to wizardpub.com you can pick an island then see aerial photos of the properties, this might help you.
Good hunting
Old Dec 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Depending on what part of Maui you go to... In regards to west Maui, most of the condos have basic pools, whereas the hotels have more elaborate pools/slides, etc. If you want a pool on the beach, The Whaler is a good place. You can usually find better rates at www.whalersrealty.com (check the rent area) or www.vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner). The Whaler is located on Kaanapali beach and is a more crouded area. Other options there are the Alii (more expensive) or Kaanaplai Beach Hotel (less expensive)

If you are looking for something a little less crowded, you might try on in Napili (although most don't have air condition) or in Kapaula, like the Kapalua Bay Villas. If you choose a hotel on Maui, one of my favorites is the Westin. You could also try the Hyatt, but I wouldn't stay at the Marriott - it's in need of some TLC/updates.

Really depends what you like - check out the different web sites.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM

I'm looking for the same info, too. We're planning a trip in June, and like mzambo, I find something I think will be nice, then find out that, while the place *is* on a lovely beach, it's not suitable for swimming. Either the surf is too rough, or it's dirty or rocky. Help!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lahaina Shores is 6-story hotel style condos at the south end of front street. Modest but nice IMO. Ocean or mountain views. Decent lawn with pool and plenty of lawn chairs. Gate to the beach shallow with calm water beyond that.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:08 PM

The Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu is the only real "on the beach" condo development in Kauai, I believe. The Sheraton pool is right next door, and I hear people staying at the Kiahuna Plantation "drop in" on occasion. The Kiahuna pool is across a road and is fairly small. Most Kiahuna units aren't waterfront, by the way, as it is a big property.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Suze, Lahaina Shores is beach fron but the beach is so poor it hardly qaulifies as a beach. It is virtually non-swimable because of coral. Also the pool is very ordinary.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Hi mzambo,
I can highly recommend the Makena Surf ,south of Wailea on Maui. They are not cheap , but have two good pools , tennis courts, and even have an herb garden for your culinary use. The beach is fabulous, right off of turtle town where all of the snorkel boats head, and it was not crowded at all, of course we there in November. Two bedroom units are in the $450 a night range, although we got one for about half price through a business contact, but I believe they also have one bedroom condos too. You get discounted rates at the great Makena Surf golf courses, and it is only a short drive to Big Beach, Ahihi Cove, the fish bowl, and all that Wailea and Kehei has to offer. Cheers, Al
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:20 AM

We really enjoyed Outrigger Lae Nani when we were in Kauai in March. It's in Kapaa. We had a beachside condo. It's a little cove, with a small lava rock area that protects you from waves if you wish, but we also snorkeled in the unprotected part. There were many turtles there and some fun tidal pools where we saw small octopi (?),crabs, and fish galore. The pool was plenty big. No beach side bar there, but there was one next door. There's also a larger beach next to the place where local kids surfed. A monk seal hangs out there, though we never saw it. We saw a ton of whales from our condo and beach. We also like the central location of Kapaa, as we could travel most everywhere north and south quickly. There was shopping, a luau and restaurants within walking distance, but the condo had a very private feel. Just my opionion, but we loved it.
Have a great time!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM

mz,

a co-worker suggested the Maui Sunset. He stayed there last March with his family and loved it. I cannot speak to it as I will be visiting Maui for the first time in April.

http://www.mauicondo.com/maui_sunset.html
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 06:22 PM

I just came from up Waipuilani Rd, the street that runs next to the Maui Sunset. North Kihei is plagued from time to time with an algae problem that, especially on a hot sunny day like today, can be a bit odiferous. From Kalepolepo Beach Park to Waipuilani it was, uh, fragrant. I didn't go down to the beach, but from the smell I'd say the algae was back.

Go further south. The Hale Pau Hana is beachfront on Kam 2 and looks very nice.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:18 AM

Agree w/ Here Today. Maui Sunset is in the wrong neighborhood. Odors, seaweed, midges, winds are all threats. Also, the stretch at and north of Cove Park has water that is turbid and, in some cases, dirty. Swim and you can be bait for big fishes. But, they need to eat too.
The best beaches for swimming, snorkeling, strolling in south Maui lie south of Cove Park, starting w/ Kam I. Suggest you look at Kihei/Wailea border south to Makena on Maui.
Most condos have "basic" pools compared to the waterpark aspect of the signature hotels. Many have wonderful ocean vistas in verdant settings. Can't speak for you, but I don't go to Hawaii to swim in or lay around pools.
On Kauai, the Poipu Kai, a large complex, also has beachfront units on Shipwreck Beach. Beautiful, but the name hints at difficulties swimmers face. Eastern Kauai beaches can be beautiful, though typically poor for swimmers.