condo rental in maui, and kauai

Dec 1st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

condo rental in maui, and kauai

We are trying to find reasonably priced condos in maui and kauai for a week each in March 2010. Ideally we'd like to get something for less that $200/night or $1500 per week, in an area where there is not a road between the buildings and the beach. We'd also like to be near a flat beach that would be suitable for swimming. In Kauai we're looking for the south shore, and are open for suggestions regarding which shore is the best on Maui. We would LOVE some feedback as I'm currently drowning in VRBO listings that are all sounding the same.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM

On Maui, look into the Condos just north of Kaanapali in Honokawai, Kahana and Napili or the Whaler in the middle of Kaanapali Beach. Myself, I would consider the Mahana or Maui Kai that are next to each other in Honokawai. There are VRBO listings for both of those. This is all considered west Maui On Kauai, it sounds like you are looking for the Poipu area. I personally do not know any properties in Poipu, but I know there are rentals there.
Dec 1st, 2009, 05:08 PM

Kauai: Kiahuna Plantation sits right on Poipu Beach. It is a large complex with expansive frontage. Some of the condo's sit back from the beach but have view of the greenery in the garden and lawn.
Poipu Shores doesn't have a beach but it is right on the ocean with lava rocks and crashing waves, turles, etc. You have to drive to Poipu Beach (5 min) but it is worth it for the incredible view....Have stayed at both and prefer Poipu Shores as it is so private and awesome view....Hope this helps
Dec 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM

I second the recommendation of Kiahuna Plantation condos. They are in a nice tropical setting and a short walk from excellent beaches. Be aware, though, that they have no air conditioning. If AC is something you want, you need to ask the management of wherever you are thinking of renting on Kauai because only a small percentage of Kauai condos have it. If you enjoy really warm inside temps with humidity then you won't need AC but if you prefer cool interiors without humidity, you probably will want AC.
Also be aware that the condos on Maui north of Kaanapali are at rocky coastlines ---not sandy, swimmable beaches. Those types of beaches are right in the Kaanapali resort area.
For excellent objective reviews of Maui and Kauai condos go to wizardpub.com.
Dec 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM

<<>>

Although Napili has a beautiful beach.
Dec 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM

Sorry, thanks for the correction about Napili Beach.
Dec 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM

Bob, I have a picture of myself taken in 1978 on Napili Beach -- that's how I knew!
Dec 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM

I have stayed at Poipu Kapili on Kauai and Mahana on Maui. Both are very nice oceanfront properties. Poipu Kapili has an access road in front of it, not a busy highway type road. There is nothing to block the view. They both have swimmable beaches a short beachwalk away. Try VRBO for both. Mahana#308 has gotten really good reviews in the past several days on Tripadvisor.com with good rates. I have no connection to either.
Dec 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips!!! Can anyone comment on the road noise for the buildings that are farthest away from the ocean?
Dec 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM

On Kauai, I have stayed at the Poipu Palms an small condo development that is right on the water but not on the beach. It was nice experience.

In Maui, I stayed at the Kahana Sunset which had it's own "private beach". We also enjoyed that. Both are very reasonable.
Dec 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM

I've stayed at the Mahana on Maui. It sits off the road, no road noise. I will be staying at Maui Kai next door in April and it is situated the same, so I would not expect to hear any road noise there either
Dec 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of your help. We ended up booking a condo in building 8 at Kiahuna. I'll be sure to report back on how it was when we get back from our trip in March
Dec 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM

You will LOVE Kiahuna (doesn't everyone?)