How to pass time in ORD and LAX

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a very long journy ahead of me involving 4 planes and many, many hours in the air and at terminals. I have a 3 hour layover in ORD and another 5 hours in LAX. How much spare time will I actually have after allowing for all the usual stuff ...like security etc. I understand my luggage will go right through ( I hope), so< hopefully I'll have time to myself.

Any ideas on what I could do? Especially in LA. Would I have time to leave the airport ot see the marina? Or would this be pushing it? I don't really want to have a leisurely fine dining experience, since I'll be on my own. I'd need a REALLY good book if I was just going to sit around!
I'd appreciate any ideas.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
My standard suggestion is to hop a taxi to the pier in Manhattan Beach, around a 15-min. cab ride from LAX. Walk out the pier for a burger or something stronger in one of the cafes, watch the surfers, walk along the Strand (beachfront pedestrian street) or some of the pedestrian residential streets that lead down to the Strand and decide which bank you'll rob so you can move here. Then when it's time, cab it back to LAX with your lungs full of the cleanest O2 LA can offer. Perfect before crossing the ditch.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo. I'd love to leave the airport and I'm so glad you suggested it. I've heard that LAX can be a nightmare and it will be my first time there. So, I had visions of people advising me to stay there the whole time. I've never been to any part of California and so to catch a glimpse of any part of it will be a bonus.
Will I have a problem hailing a cab in that area?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 05:49 AM

It shouldn't be a problem getting a cab - you may need to phone from someplace in MB (get a card from the driver when you're dropped off, or possibly even arrange a rendezvous time/place). Obviously you shouldn't cut it too close given check-in/ security yoga back at LAX.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:07 AM

My home airport is ORD and I have visited LAX several times. I have always maintained that if I had to spend hours at an airport, I would prefer it to be ORD. There is a good variety of restaurants, bars, Internet cafe/access. You can walk inside to the O'Hare Hilton and browse the shops. You could jump on the train/shuttle and circle the airport just for fun...no cost. You could wander to various terminals to people watch and glide along on the people movers. Not great opportunity to leave the airport without 5 or more hours.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I'll be sure to get a card from the taxi driver when I leave LAX. I think with 5 hours to spare, I will leave for a couple of hours.

But with only 3 hours in ORD, I'm glad to hear there will be enough to do their. I wouldn't want to risk leaving.
Browsing the shops is something I won't get tired of doing! And I want to walk as much as possible . I've got a lot of sitting ahead of me!

Is there a place at LAX to check my carry on for a couple of hours? Or would this be more trouble than it's worth? Perhaps I should just lug it around.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
kodi- As for how much time you will actually have you can check with the airlines for the check-back-in time requirements, and subtract that. Other ways you could possibly lose time from what you are expecting in the layover include: flight landing late, having to wait for gate available to deplane, security line back-ups, etc.

Ways I have killed time in airports include: paying for a shower (where facilities are available), looking thru the shops, having a meal or drink, and yup... that good book you mentioned!

3 hours won't really seem all that long, while 5 hours probably would.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:51 AM

At O'Hare, there is a display sponsored by the Chicago Children's Museum called "Kids on the Fly" that explains how the airport functions. I think it's in terminal 2. There are also a variety of items like stained glass, paintings, & photographs on exhibit throughout the airport. They are sponsored by various Chicago museums.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions. For sure, I'll have to see what time I actually arrive at both airports. Then I'll know how much time I have.
SInce ORD just went through a major snow storm ordeal, I'm hoping next weekend will be ok! (I'll cross my fingers).
It's great to know there are exhibits to see at ORD. What a great idea.
Eating and shopping are always good passtimes!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:02 PM
lvk

Kodi,

Since gardyloo gave you basically the same advice that I would have, let me just answer your question about checking bags. Since 9/11, I don't believe that any locker rentals are available at LAX.

I really don't think that LAX is a "nightmare" unless you are flying on a busy holiday weekend. (maybe that's because I spent my formative years flying in and out of Logan-now that's a nightmare).

There are also some unique shops in downtown Manhattan Beach. Ask your cab driver to drop you off at the intersection of Manhattan Beach Blvd (east/west street) and Manhattan Ave. (north/south street). You can then decided whether you would rather shop or hit the beach.

Hopefully, the weather will be nicer for you than it has been here in the past few weeks.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Where are you going that involves 4 planes and several airports? The only thing I can think of is a remote town in Wisconsin to Australia. That could explain the stops at ORD and LAX.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

lvk, Thanks for the additional information. Now I really hope my plane isn't late. I'd love to go to see the shops and beach, and will be disappointed now if I can't. I'll enjoy my little trip, even carrying my carry on.
And I'm glad to hear that LAX is not a nightmare.
Anyway, I've decided that no matter what goes wrong or what gets delayed, I will enjoy every part of this journery and not get stressed.
Flaming.. close , but no cigar!! Definately not Wisconsin, I get enough snow in Toronto!
But here goes...Toronto to Chicago to LA to Fiji ( a 33 hour stop over here. a real bonus , yippee) and finally on to Auckland, NZ.
But on the way home, only 2 planes. Auckland to LAX to Toronto.
Thanks for all the help.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I can't believe your trip is so close - have a great time!

We hooked up with my mother-in-law, who took us out to dinner during our layover. She just died a couple of days ago, so dh and I are glad we got to see her in April.

We had to transfer our own bags in Los Angeles, since Southwest doesn't do that, so we checked in and got our seats right away, then left with my mil. There wasn't much of a line at security when we got back (this was a Sunday night) and we had plenty of time. We brought books to read and picked up a copy of the LA Times someone had left behind, so we weren't bored.

Lee Ann

Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Kodi, we've often taken that same route when going to Australia. At ORD, there's a fairly wide variety of restaurants and such and if you're flying AA, you probably won't even have to change terminals (going anyway). If you're going United, you may have to change. 3 hours isn't too bad there though.

We've left the terminal at LAX when we had 8 hours to kill and walked up to the train and took it to Hollywood. Uh, not the most scenic way to go, but an experience. Not one I'd necessarily recommend or repeat. But what I did want to say is that you should leave plenty of time to get back into the terminal at LAX. I'm guessing that you're going international, since you're just connecting in LAX. If so, you'll have to go into the Tom Bradley International Terminal there and really, there's a strong possibility that the lines into security will be very very long. Only a very few international flights don't leave from that terminal. (Qantas to Sydney is one)
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:45 PM

Air NZ to NAN leaves from T2 at LAX; Air Pathetic leaves TBIT. I think 2-3 hours tops away from the airport is best; but I believe most flights westbound leave at night anyway, so after the sunset at the beach it'll be time to head back to the lineups and the warm embrace of the TSA.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Lee Ann, I'm so, so sorry to hear that your mother-in-law passed away. I'm sure you are very happy that you had the chance to see her in LA. It's always difficult to lose someone close. My deepest sympathies are with you.

Yes, it's hard to believe...only one week to go. And I can't wait.
I'm flying Air Canada then switch to United at ORD, so I'll have to change terminals there. The good thing is that my luggage is supposed to go right through to Fiji. Or so I'm told!!

Clifton, I'll heed your advice, although I just checked and Air New Zealand goes out of term 2 at LAX, so that may be a blessing when it comes to the security line.

I've read elsewhere that taxis to Manhattan Beach could run as high as $25 to $30 . I'm not sure I can spend up to $60 for taxis. ( The rest of my trip is 'budget', so I'm not sure I can spend up to $60 getting back and forth to the beach.) Is it possible to get there by public transit?
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Kodi, you could ride the bus from LAX to the MB pier ($2.50) - takes around 40 min according to the transit authority - http://www.mta.net/ - then maybe (to be sure) take a cab back, thus half the cost.

In January if your flight leaves at 8:30 or so, and your arriving flight from ORD arrives at 3:30, figure sunset is around 6, so you'd only have a couple of hours outdoors anyway.

I have taken that flight to Fiji and must tell you that maximum fresh air and some exercise before the all-nighter will do you well. I'd risk the $50 if it was me.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 10:58 PM

We live in Manhattan Beach and take a taxi to and from LAX all the time. The cost is around $12-$15 plus tip. I drove there today to pick up my son, and had a thought for you. If it's raining, like it is this weekend, I would still suggest you leave the airport and come to MB. On the corner of Sepulveda & Rosecrans is our small Mall, and you could spend some time there, and there are plenty of restaurants as well. I see taxi's dropping and picking up people all the time. Otherwise, I'd go "downtown" to the pier area.
Nancy
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Thank you! Gardyloo, you are right! I 'deserve' to get away from the airport and have a break. I actually get to LAX about 2 and leave for FIji at 7:15 so it's good to know I'll be in Manhattan Beach during the daylight. And I 'deserve' to take a taxi both ways! I want to make the most of my time. Thanks for helping me to see the light!

MBnancy, thank you too. HOpefully the weather will be good, if not, I will go to the mall. How far is it to walk from the mall to the downtown pier area if I wanted to do both?

I feel that I keep adding little bonus to this wonderful trip I'm about to take. And seeing Manhattan is one of them. I'll be disappointed now if my flights get screwed up.
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I actually think it's rather cool to watch the sun set over the Pacific, then watch it rise over the Pacific the next (+2) day. Happy landings, Kodi - and Bula.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -