Search

Maui Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
vsd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Honeymoon

My fiance and I are going to Maui next month (March) to be married at sunset at White Rock Beach which is on the south side of the island and we have rented a one bedroom condo at Maui Kai which is on the west side of the island (between Lahaina and Kaanapali). We would like dinner recommendation for restaurants near where we are staying (west side) rather than where the wedding will be held. It will be just the two of us so would like some place that is romantic. Also,since this is our first time to Maui and we will be there for a week we are open to any suggestions or recommendations of places to go, eat (at other times) etc. Thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM

For romantic dining, the new Dukes restaurant at the Honua Kai resort on the north end of Kaanapali would be my choice and it also has really great food. Also in consideration should be Hula Grill and Leilani's both in Whalers village in Kaanapali and Pacific 'O in south Lahaina. You also might want to consider, the Feast At Lele in Lahaina------ it's a romantic luau with excellent food and great live island music and dance performances. There are soooooooo many fun things to do on Maui, I would recommend getting the book Maui Revealed by Doughty. It describes and rates all the fun things to do as wells as giving very honest restaurant reviews.
Have fun!
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 04:11 PM
vsd
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. All of the restaurants sound great and the luau sounds like fun. I just ordered the book Maui Revealed on Amazon - will have it in a couple of days. Thank you for that recommendation also!
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Lots of info. It's mostly for Oahu, but there are many websites good for all islands & a few just for Maui:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

Order the free Maui travel planner.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 04:24 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Great - thanks for the info and I will order the Maui travel planner!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 07:14 AM

For the love of Maui, bob,please stop shilling for Doughty. Have you not noticed that his coauthor Ms. Friedman has been de-authored? Or did she not want her name on the controversial covers anymore? She has been completely stricken from the copyright page.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01a.html

vsd - What a place to start your new life together! Congratulations. Be safe and never turn your back on the ocean or your spouse!!! Sorry, I am not qualified to suggest wedding dinner on that part of the island as it's been a few years since I've dined there, other then sunset at Hula Grill Barefoot Bar, with entertainment and casual pupus. Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 07:51 AM

Kealalani, I have no relationship with Maui Revealed or its author. I spend extended time in Maui every year and have found this book to be incredibly valuable in providing useful advise on activities, restaurants, and places to stay. If you know of travel guides that are, in your opinion, more helpful to visitors than Maui Revealed please share your recommendations.
Aloha
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Actually I have heard good things about that book. I did order it last night but my daughter informed me that she has the book (they used it last May when they went to Maui for their honeymoon)and that it has a lot of useful information that they used. Thanks.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 09:56 AM

mbob - that's an easy one! Fodor's the latest color edition or course!

vsd - Enjoy the book. It has its positive attributes. But it also has a lot of negativity surrounding it, and has had a major negative impact on many islanders lives as well as more then a few tourists who threw caution to the wind and paid dearly for it. I am sure there is a very good reason that the co-author has been erased from the current editions and royalties. Enjoy the book. But I simply don't understand when people know the controversy surrounding the book, they would continually recommend it when a book recommendation was never asked for.

Sorry, back to your fabulous wedding and honeymoon! We did enjoy David Paul's years ago in Lahaina. Last year he reopened on Front Street. I have heard good things, but have not been. When grocery shopping, make sure you take a minute to sign up for the makai card for extra savings. And look into the Farmer's Markets in your area. If the timing is right you will get great produce and flowers for the condo.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM

also, monteraybob often gives excellent and wise and very helpful and thoughtful advice, we just have a different take on the books.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 06:18 PM
vsd
Original Poster

Thanks Kealalani. I will look at the Fodors book two - can never have too many. I still haven't decided on which restaurant for our wedding night dinner- will look at David Paul's. Thanks for the tip re grocery shopping and we love farmers markets so will definitely find on in our area.
Old Feb 24th, 2011, 05:32 AM
vsd
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Lahaina Grill and if so would you recommend it for a wedding night dinner? Thanks.