Search

Maui

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui

What, in your experience, is the best time of year to visit Maui?

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM
poolboy

What do you want to do? What do you like?
Hana = summer for better weather
whales = November thru March
windsurf = winter on north shore
calmest water for snorkeling = summer
hotter, drier weather = summer
fewer people = October, November, May
families = holiday times

I like any of the Hawaiian Islands in the summer as I like calmer, warmer waters waters and warmer weather.

Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Poolboy,

Thanks-very, very helpful.

4mimi
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM

We visited Maui in April and had great weather, and we were also able to catch the end of whale watching season. We stayed in Wailea on the south side and were told that this area tends to have sunny weather due to its location.

We went back to Hawaii in September, and a hurricane was looming offshore, but we never felt the effects of it. Our friends went in winter and had to limit some of their activities because the surf was high.

Our experience was to do things early in the day because the wind and surf would kick up more in the afternoons.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Hi -- I actualy lived on Maui for the last 18months -- cry cry - I am back in NY now and miss it terribly. Amyways the best time to visit Maui in my humble opinion is nov thru early may if you are looking to definetly see whales. Other than that to be honest avoid high tourist times - typical school vacations times usually - because 1 it is the most crowded and 2 you get better deals when tourists are low. Also if you dont need a fancy hotel - there are great ohana's to look into -- find a local connection - and ask around --kihei is best suited for tourists it is very transient and has lots of shops etc and as of last year there is a new swap meet opned up right in Kihei -- south side but even new wiki wiki stands all along kihei rd. Also if you do whale watch be kind and support pacific whale foundation they are doing good work out there and give an excellent outing -- appealing to kids and adults - all very knowledgable staff. As for hotels Prince Kuhio is great - has great pool and hula shows etc even snorkeling --terrifc beaches -- also do not miss Iao needle -- free park great barbeque spot along the way with terrific historical references and Koa pond. Also looking into hostels is so great $20 bucks a night - yes kind of seedy but clean enough and then lots of extra cash to do mad fun stuff -- take care and be pono to the aina
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM
poolboy

melandmari,

Where is the Prince Kuhio on Maui?

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM

My bad sorry local name -- Maui Prince is what you want to look for if you search on line -- I think the beach is Makalupa -- South Shore -- stay on
S. Kihei going to Wailea it if I remember correctly is before Big and Little beach. But you get it all for one the have excellent whale sitings and large turtle families walking distance if you dont like to snorkle to deep by the reefs there -- I had my two year old out htere snorkeling and a very large sea turtle was right at our legs so she was able to touch it - too cool -I really miss it there and wish I had never left - I probally could write a how to move to Maui and survive with out being rich book -- LOL
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM
kealalani

September is fabulous, but in the past was the month to do pool maintenance - so ASK if you are doing a resort!