Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui in January--what to expect weatherwise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I visited Maui two years ago and stayed at the Sheraton Maui for our 25th anniversary. We also visited Honolulu on a day trip and spent five days in Kauai. Although we were amazed at Kauai's beauty, we fell in love with Maui and have decided to return in January.

We chose this time of year because we heard that the whales visit during the winter and we are very anxious to experience them! In the meantime after making our reservations, I'm starting to have some "reservations" myself about the weather. In August it was simply stunning! Lots of sunshine, short spells of rain and then sun again and especially warm water for swimming. Now I am beginning to worry that we will be spending most of our days with clouds overhead (not much sun) and rain and wonder if we'll enjoy it as much. We're really looking forward to snorkeling again at Black Rock, but have read that on overcast days the visibility is not as good.

Should I expect this to be the case, or will I be pleasantly surprised that it's not altogether different from our August experience? Thanks for any input you can give me. Mahalo!!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:06 AM

The weather in Maui during January is usually pretty nice. Usually in the low 80's and if there is rain, it's very quick. January is not usually a "rainy" month in Hawaii.
I think you'll like it, but book very early since it will be a very crowded time--as you have mentioned, that is whale watching season and is a very busy time.
Another great time to go to Hawaii is in May.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM

The Kaanapali/Kapalua area of Maui is NOT NEARLY the same in winter as summer. It is windier, wetter, water temps. several degrees lower, bigger waves (lousing up the snorkeling). Yes, you can have Januarys which are sunny, but you have the other problems. We have friends who went in February a few years ago, and spent 2/3 of their week indoors. This year there were flooding rains in Feb & March, and they could have come in Jan. I go nuts if I go to a tropical beach place for vacation, and get rained off the beach. And 75 deg. water is not 81 deg. water for snorkeling. Go May thru October. In winter go to the Caribbean where it is their dry season with 80+ water temps.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM

I have enjoyed trips to Maui in February and am already booked for mid-Feb '07. This January we were on the Big Island- sunny and warm the entire time. Generally, the southern side of any of the islands are driest, and that's the shore I head for in winter. On Maui I stay in the So. Kihei or Wailea area, which has never failed me for dependable, pleasant weather. Whale watching is great right from the shore. I much prefer this time of year to the more humid summer months. We swim, sunbathe, etc. and find it a welcome respite from cold weather at home on the mainland.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM

I forgot to add a link to a site with lots of great photos taken by "Jon", who spends Jan-March on Maui every year. You'll get a good idea of the weather and whale action:
www.mauihawaii.org
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your valued advice! We keep going back and forth as to where to stay in January, Kaanapali beach area or southern beaches such as Wailea, which we did not get to visit on our last trip. We really loved the beach area in Kaanapali and the walks along the beach for night time entertainment and dining. Having never experienced the southern end of Maui I have no idea if we would enjoy it as much. If we opt to stay in Kaanapali and the weather goes "south" so to speak (no pun intended), could we easily drive down to Wailea for the day to swim and enjoy some sun? We've reserved a convertible to enjoy some driving around the island and wondered how far it is from west Maui to the areas around the south. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM

If the weather "goes south" on you, you can always call one of the hotels in the Wailea area and move down there. We have done that many times. You just pack up, pay the hotel bill that you are staying at and move down to your new hotel. Busy season might be harder to do this.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM

This is a crazy question and I've never known the answer. If you decide you don't like a hotel and you pack up to go to another, are you stuck paying for the time that you were planning to stay, i.e., the original reservation? I've read several times that people have decided to move to different locations, and I always wonder how that is done without taking a hugh loss on the unused hotel. Thanks for any info you can pass along.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 03:07 PM

We have never had to pay a penalty, however, a few hotels do impose a penalty. Look unter the terms and conditions of the hotel you are staying at or call the hotel and ask them.