Search

Maui ????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui ????

I have an opportunity to stay in a friends condo in Maui in the Pa'ia area( I believe thats northern Maui). We have never been to Hawaii and don't know much about Maui . My question is...Anyone know anything about Pa'ia ? Is there an abbundance of beautiful beaches with calm water and good snorkeling in that area, if not anywhere on the island? Snorkeling is our favorite actiivity . We also love hiking, and especially would love to hike a rain forest and maybe explore a volcano. I also hear that Maui is very pricey....... how pricey is it? We are on bit of a budget, luckily our accomidations would be free and airfares are reasonable right now. However, its always the spending money that gets you ..... would $100 a day for 2 people be unrealistic ??
Thanks for all of your advice !!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:08 AM

Having lived in CT (high cost of living) and Boston (even higher) - I don't think Maui is that expensive - it's the same. In other words, if you want to eat at really nice restaurants - you won't make it on $100 a day. If you can eat very casually - do alot of cooking yourself, then you might. A caveat is that does not include snorkeling trips, and excursions. I don't know your habits, but if you can go to NY or Boston and get by with that amount - you certainly can on Maui. They have the same chains and "little local" places that all big cities do....
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

I know all about High cost living, I live in Malibu ,Ca. So would it be safe to say that Maui is probably not more expensive than Malibu ? We were planning on eating at a few nice restaurants and also doing alot of cooking ourselves since we will be in a condo with a full kitchen.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:33 AM

Pa'ia is on the east side of Maui near Kahului. Here's a little map of Maui to give you an idea of location. http://www.maui.net/~mauictry/location.html The most popular resort areas are on the west side of Maui. Less wind and rain. Wailea is in Southwest Maui with Kihei a little north of that and Kaanapali and Kapalua quite a bit north of Wailea. In Pa'ia you are close to an exceptional restaurant called Mama's Fish House, but on a budget of $100 per day for 2 people it may not be for you. Maybe check it out for lunch.

Fortunately you'll be in a condo and can limit eating out.

Great Snorkeling at Ulua Beach in Wailea. Also get the Maui Revealed Book which provides great information on snorkeling, hiking and other great stuff to do in Maui.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Pa'ia is not on the side of the island with calm beaches for snorkeling---it's a cute little town on the way to Hana on the windy side of the island --- past the airport at Kahului. Just down the coast is a big spot for surfing and kitesailing---which requires a lot of wind. So you will probably have to drive somewhere else to snorkel.

You WILL, howver be very close to my favorite restaurant...Mama's Fish House. You'll be pretty close to costco/Kmart to stock up on stuff to eat at the condo--but there won't be many other *great* or *special* restaurants out there. You'll have to drive to the other side of the island to Wailea, Lahaina, Kaanapali, etc.

As for $100/day....it'll be tough if you want to dine out nicely to dinner everynight. Think prices like Moonshadows and Geoffrey's for nice restaurants (you live in Malibu, right I just moved from Santa Monica). Probably about $150 average for 2. If you choose to only eat out a couple of times....don't miss Mama's Fish House...and make the trip up to Kahana to Roy's. MMMMMMMMMM.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight Bruin Girl ...I have many Bruin friends..... you are from Santa monica huh ??? Great ! I love to go to the Promenade and eat at Union on the weekends.........
Anyways, how big is the island and how long does it take to drive to the parts of the island that do offer the nice beaches &snorkeling???
And yes, we will check out Mamas fishhouse. We aren't strict about our $100 a day, just would like to be careful
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 10:59 AM

The cool thing about snorkeling in Maui is that you don't HAVE to pay for an excursion--there's a lot of good snorkeling just offshore (esp. South Maui, get a guidebook), accessible from the beach. Just rent some gear for the week and you'll be set for lots of free activity.

love
roxy
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:20 PM

We just went to San Diego and I found the prices very similar.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Assuming you rent a car (needed) that will take maybe $30 of your daily budget. On $70 you can certainly do loads of things on Maui. Grocery prices are higher than on the mainland - but certainly won't take $70 per day. You'll be able to eat at fancy restaurants a few times, take in a few activities, etc. with no problem. THere are loads of inexpensive/free things to do on Maui - beach time, snorkeling (even renting is cheap at places like Snorkel Bob's), road to Hana, sunrise on Mt. Haleakala, etc.

Pa'ia is more known for surfing and wind surfing - it isn't terribly calm. THere are loads of great beaches all over Maui - so you won't have trouble finding good snorkel places. Maui Revealed is a great guidebook and will give you the information you want on beaches, snorkeling, etc.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Maui is not that expensive. Avoid the expensive restaurants. Mamas is great, but the prices can give you an upset stomach. You're staying in a condo--hit the local markets, especially farmers markets. Barbecue and local fruits is perfect. If you're really on a tight budget. Pack food to bring along--we do for our family of 6. The meal planning is done before you leave. Avoid the costly charters, etc... There are plenty of great free things to do. Hana trip and Wainapanapa State Park is fabulous. Ulua beach is great for snorkeling and Big Beach for the beach. Take a trip to Kanapali and Black Rock. Lots of things to do. Near Paia be sure to spend an afternoon watching the wind surfers.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:01 AM

To answer your question:

As I remember, it's probably about 45 ish minute drive to Kaanapali from Pa'ia, a little closer to Wailea. Pa'ia has some great little shops on the highway...very unique and bohemian-like. Really cute area, and you'll be close to some beautiful sights out there. Just not calm beaches
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:46 PM

Just don't waste your money at Nicks and Old Lahaina Luau
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 07:47 AM

I agree with jogger: Maui is not that expensive. It can be VERY expensive if you want it to though. Personally I get sick of eating out all the time an like having a place that allows me to eat some meals in, like breakfast. I pack a lunch for the day trips and after a day of sights or snorkeling would rather stay in and BBQ instead of going out. Be sure though to have a few dinners at a really nice place with an incredible view and take those memories home. They cannot be duplicated anywhere else on earth.

Bottom line is that I would rather stay a few extra days and eat in a little than eat out at every meal and shorten my trip.

Have fun in any case!
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:40 PM

I couldn't tell when your trip is so...if it isn't too late, you must get a coupon book at Entertainment.com. They're discounted from 35 to 15 right now (includes $5 shipping). Loaded with 2 for 1 discounts. Best Snorkeling CLOSE to Pa'ia is on West Maui, Honolua Bay. Ulua is good, but not as scenic. And while you're there (Honolua), you can check out the Nakalel Blowhole. The short narrow road from Kahului (340) entitles you to bragging rights you probably wouldn't get with driving the Road to Hana. "Maui Revealed" is a must. Skip the charter trips. Free snorkeling is better. Saw more fish (and turtles) at Ulua than Molokini.